Is it possible to connect a amp to the K2

Is it possible to connect a amp to the K2

Jerry Deibel
Just would like to know if it is possible to connect a Ameritron Al-811
to the K2.  Were would I get the exicter signal from on the K2?

Jerry, N2UZ

Re: Is it possible to connect a amp to the K2

Tom Hammond-3
Hi Jerry:

>Just would like to know if it is possible to connect a Ameritron Al-811 to
>the K2.

Sure is!  The AL-811 won't work QSK (T-R relay is much too slow), but you
can work semi-breakin.

You WILL need to provide a T-R relay keying adapter between the K2 and the
amp, AND the adapter will have to be able to adequately handle whatever
current the amp's T-R relay requires. This (amp T-R output) is NOT provided
as part of the basic K2.

For what it's worth, I'm working on developing a plug-in PC board for J13
in the K2 which will provide amp T-R output. May have something within a
few weeks.

>Where would I get the exicter signal from on the K2?

Use the RF OUTPUT from the K2's ANT jack.

Note that a barefoot K2 only puts out 15W maximum, which will probably only
drive the AL-811 to about 150W-200W output. If you had the K2/100, it'll
drive the 811 to its rated output.

73,

Tom Hammond    N0SS

Re: Is it possible to connect a amp to the K2

T Gahagan
I would really be interested in this also Tom.  Been going to  drive my
SB220 with the KPA-100, K-2 combo for some time.

Todd, WA7U

>>Just would like to know if it is possible to connect a Ameritron Al-811 to
>>the K2.
>
> Sure is!  The AL-811 won't work QSK (T-R relay is much too slow), but you
> can work semi-breakin.
>
> You WILL need to provide a T-R relay keying adapter between the K2 and the
> amp, AND the adapter will have to be able to adequately handle whatever
> current the amp's T-R relay requires. This (amp T-R output) is NOT
> provided as part of the basic K2.
>
> For what it's worth, I'm working on developing a plug-in PC board for J13
> in the K2 which will provide amp T-R output. May have something within a
> few weeks.
>
>>Where would I get the exicter signal from on the K2?
>
> Use the RF OUTPUT from the K2's ANT jack.
>
> Note that a barefoot K2 only puts out 15W maximum, which will probably
> only drive the AL-811 to about 150W-200W output. If you had the K2/100,
> it'll drive the 811 to its rated output.
>
> 73,
>
> Tom Hammond    N0SS

Re: Is it possible to connect a amp to the K2

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ
Administrator
The K2/100 already includes a high voltage output keying line for linear
amplifiers on its KPA100 back panel. It can handle up to 200V and 1A
max. Most amps with -positive- keying voltages can be T/R keyed from the
K2/100.

I think the SB-220 uses a positive voltage so it should work.

The few amps with negative keying voltages will need a relay or solid
state buffer between the amp and the rig.

See page 59 of the KPA100 manual for the key out line specification, and
page 53 for the 8R Hold menu option that provides a keyout hold feature
to prevent amplifier relay chatter on CW.

73, Eric  WA6HHQ
Elecraft

Todd Gahagan wrote:
> I would really be interested in this also Tom.  Been going to  drive my
> SB220 with the KPA-100, K-2 combo for some time.

Re: Is it possible to connect a amp to the K2

Jim Brown-10
On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 14:43:45 -0800, Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ, Elecraft wrote:

>The K2/100 already includes a high voltage output keying line for linear
>amplifiers on its KPA100 back panel. It can handle up to 200V and 1A
>max. Most amps with -positive- keying voltages can be T/R keyed from the
>K2/100.

The K2 works quite well keying my TenTec Titan (nearly 20 years old). A
barefoot K2 gets me 400-600 watts output into a well-matched load, depending
on the band. A K2/100 gets me to full power (1500 W), except that some antenna
conditions that put a LOT of RF in the shack can cause the K2/100 to be a bit
unstable and generate second harmonics. This only shows up on 80 and 160, and
only above 600 watts. The keying output works nicely to key the amp in SSB
mode. In CW mode, you key the Titan and the Titan keys the K2 (as if it were a
straight key).

I've also used the K2 to drive an original (c.a. 1979) TenTec Hercules 444. As
i recall, a barefoot K2 drives it to about 250 watts out. The pre-delay keying
line works fine for that too. For that older amp, you key the K2 and the
keying line keys the amp. The newer Hercules II keys like the Titan -- in the
CW mode, you key the amp and the amp keys the K2.

Jim K9YC

Re: Is it possible to connect a amp to the K2

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ
For the basic K2, we have an amp keying circuit application note on the
Elecraft web page. See: http://www.elecraft.com/Apps/Amp_keying_ckt.htm

A partial kit of parts to build this circuit is on our spare parts order
page:   http://www.elecraft.com/order_form_parts.htm#k2key

73, Eric  WA6HHQ
==========

n2uz wrote:
> To all that responded,
>
> I have only the basic K2 , not the 100.  I wanted to know how to key the
> amp from the basic K2.   I  will wait until Tom (N0SS) can come up with
> that T/Rcircut.
>
> Jerry, N2UZ

Re: Is it possible to connect a amp to the K2 - link correction

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ
Correction - The correct link for the partial kit of parts to build this
circuit is to our spare parts order
page:   http://www.elecraft.com/order_form_parts.htm

Go to the K2 section and order the AMPKEYKIT.

73, Eric  WA6HHQ

Re: Is it possible to connect a amp to the K2

johnny-52
Again my basic K2 works well with my ICOM ICPW-1.  With a drive of about 10-
15 watts from K2, I can get a 250-300 watts out from my PW-1.  I am using
the amp keying kit from elecraft.

73

Johnny Siu VR2XMC

Re: Is it possible to connect a amp to the K2

James Brown-14
Eric:

My SB-220 uses +123VDC through a 5Kohm relay coil keyed to ground. There is
no diode protection from back-emf across the relay coil, but there is a
.02mfd cap on the low side of the relay coil to ground.

Regards,
Jim Brown, K5JAZ

> The K2/100 already includes a high voltage output keying line for linear
> amplifiers on its KPA100 back panel. It can handle up to 200V and 1A max.
> Most amps with -positive- keying voltages can be T/R keyed from the
> K2/100.
>
> I think the SB-220 uses a positive voltage so it should work.

Re: Is it possible to connect a amp to the K2 (SB-220 is OK)

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ
Administrator
That will work OK with the K2/100 keyout line. We're already back emf
protected.

73, Eric

James Brown wrote:

> Eric:
>
> My SB-220 uses +123VDC through a 5Kohm relay coil keyed to ground. There
> is no diode protection from back-emf across the relay coil, but there is
> a .02mfd cap on the low side of the relay coil to ground.
>
> Regards,
> Jim Brown, K5JAZ
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ, Elecraft"
> <[hidden email]>

dmb@lightstream.net
I've been using my K2/100 to drive my Ameritron AL-811H for a couple of
years, and it works great.

Initially, before I had the KPA100, I used the K2 to drive the amp to
about 200 watts or so, and built up the simple single transistor keying
circuit described in the Elecraft archives, to key the amplifier. That
worked fine.

Later, when I built the KPA100, I used the high voltage output keying
line to drive the amp, and that worked fine as well.

Still later, after getting tired of listening to the clanking of the
relay in the AL-811H, I bought the Ameritron QSK-5 QSK-T/R unit, and
that was the best solution of all. Not only is there no noise from the
relay in the amplifier, but the tubes in the amplifier are cut-off so no
plate current flows until just a couple of milliseconds before the rf is
delivered, and it returns to cutoff within a couple of milliseconds
after the rf has finished. So, the amp runs cooler, and is absolutely
quiet except for the almost inaudible 'tick' of the reed relay inside
the QSK-5 unit.

Having said all that, I don't really use the amplifier very often, but
when I do, the combination works great.

73, Dale WA8SRA

Re: Is it possible to connect a amp to the K2

T Gahagan
Thanks very much Eric.  I've been off the reflector for a couple of days.  I
believe the keying voltage of the 220 is around 120V DC+.      I'll give it
a shot.

Todd, WA7U

> The K2/100 already includes a high voltage output keying line for linear
> amplifiers on its KPA100 back panel. It can handle up to 200V and 1A max.
> Most amps with -positive- keying voltages can be T/R keyed from the
> K2/100.
>
> I think the SB-220 uses a positive voltage so it should work.
>
> The few amps with negative keying voltages will need a relay or solid
> state buffer between the amp and the rig.
>
> See page 59 of the KPA100 manual for the key out line specification, and
> page 53 for the 8R Hold menu option that provides a keyout hold feature to
> prevent amplifier relay chatter on CW.
>
> 73, Eric  WA6HHQ
> Elecraft
>
> Todd Gahagan wrote:
>> I would really be interested in this also Tom.  Been going to  drive my
>> SB220 with the KPA-100, K-2 combo for some time.

K2 or K2/100 + amp, QSK?

John Pfeifer-2
Been following the thread on running an external amp with the K2 or K2/100.

I was wondering how connecting an external amp changes the QSK behavior.  Or,
are people only using an external amp for SSB?

Thanks,
John Pfeifer - KL0WN

Re: K2 or K2/100 + amp, QSK?

Jim Brown-10
On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 06:01:33 -0900, John Pfeifer wrote:

>I was wondering how connecting an external amp changes the QSK
>behavior.

When used with the two TenTec amps as described in my post it's full
QSK (and I'm sure that the other TenTec amps will also behave that
way). The only way you know the amp is there is that you get more
closer to your noise level. :)

Jim Brown K9YC

Re: K2 or K2/100 + amp, QSK?

Hank Kohl K8DD-2
On CW, it depends on the amp.  If it is the "traditional" amp with a
relay you will have the traditional VOX delay.  Or you could get an
Ameritron QSK-5 and retain the K2's level of QSK.
However if you get a QSK amp, like some of the Alpha's or TenTec's, you
can retain the degree of QSK that the K2 or K2/100 is able to provide.

73    Hank    K8DD

--

*/    Hank Kohl K8DD                      [hidden email]
*/    ARRL TS  MI-QRP - Vice Pres.  QRP-ARCI - Director

If God intended you to be on single sideband, he would
have given you only one nostril.
                                  Steve, K2PTS </b>(SK)

'Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their
 level then beat you  with experience.'           -anon

Re: Is it possible to connect a amp to the K2

Douglas Westover
I use my K2/100 to drive an ALS-600 with the QSK-5 T/R box
and I can't say enough good things about the QSK-5. It's a
little pricey but it certainly does a great job and coupled with
the no-tune solid state amp its a nifty combo.

No affiliation with Ameritron, etc., etc.

Doug
W6JD