It have to work better!

Alexander Ponomarenko-5
Hi for all K3-users,

Some weeks we searched for the reason of bad K3's sound and high level IMD.
We tried to replace resistors on the "line-out board". But it is ineffectual.
Fortunately, Vlad UN7GZ has found out the problem.
Vlad has analysed the K3-scheme and has found some discrepancy on the RF-board.
This problem in poor-quality assembly.
I also have made necessary corrections on my K3. The result are impressing!
Now I hear the sound is much more better (like my K2).

You can see all of these results:

here is plot BEFORE "modification" (you can see terrible "spur" near 12kHz)
http://forum.cqham.ru/download.php?id=32620

here is plots AFTER "modification":
http://forum.cqham.ru/download.php?id=32621
http://forum.cqham.ru/download.php?id=32651
http://forum.cqham.ru/download.php?id=32650

And of course you can read about it here in Russian:
http://forum.cqham.ru/viewtopic.php?t=17137

All these results is equal for ALL of  K3-outs (both phones-outs and line-out).

73!
Alex UR5LAM
RU-QRP-Club#0103
K3/100F #0568

Re: It have to work better!

Julius Fazekas n2wn
Hi Alex,

What is the mod/problem found??

73,
Julius
n2wn

Alexander Ponomarenko-5 wrote
[...]

Julius Fazekas
N2WN

Tennessee Contest Group
http://www.k4ro.net/tcg/index.html

Tennessee QSO Party
http://www.tnqp.org/

Elecraft K2        #4455
Elecraft K3/100 #366
Elecraft K3/100

Re: It have to work better!

Barry N1EU

Julius Fazekas n2wn wrote
What is the mod/problem found??
Yes Alex, can you please say more about what you found on the RF Board and what the fix was?

Congratulations on the success!

73,
Barry N1EU

Re: It have to work better!

Bill W4ZV
Alexander Ponomarenko-5 wrote
Hi for all K3-users,

Some weeks we searched for the reason of bad K3's sound and high level IMD.
We tried to replace resistors on the "line-out board". But it is
ineffectual.
Fortunately, Vlad UN7GZ has found out the problem.
Vlad has analysed the K3-scheme and has found some discrepancy on the
RF-board.
This problem in poor-quality assembly.
Priwet Alex!

I believe you are referring to this picture posted by UN7GZ:

http://forum.cqham.ru/download.php?id=32295

Was this W16 jumper cable completely missing or was it just poorly soldered?

I also noticed some references on the list about the KXV3 RX ANT isolation problem.  I assume you know this is covered on the K3 Enhancements and Application Notes page under "Receive Antenna TX Isolation Improvement (RXA Mod Kit for the KXV3)".  This mod is not required for units with the KXV3 "Rev  B" Main Board.

http://www.elecraft.com/K3/k3_app_notes.htm

73,  Bill  W4ZV

Re: It have to work better!

Alexander Ponomarenko-5
Priwet Bill,

In original K3 the W16 is monowire (on top of the RF-board),
but if we will analyze the scheme, we can see that W16 must be in the
screen.
The W16 are near non screen-shielded BP-Filters, and we can see second
RX-channel on my first web-link:
http://forum.cqham.ru/download.php?id=32620
You can get out monowire W16, and replace to new W16 (behind RF-board in
our opinion).
You must to use coaxial-cable for W16. I'm used silver-plated
screen-shielded video-cable from Supra.

73! Alex UR5LAM

Bill W4ZV wrote:

> Priwet Alex!
>
> I believe you are referring to this picture posted by UN7GZ:
>
> http://forum.cqham.ru/download.php?id=32295
>
> Was this W16 jumper cable completely missing or was it just poorly soldered?
>
> I also noticed some references on the list about the KXV3 RX ANT isolation
> problem.  I assume you know this is covered on the K3 Enhancements and
> Application Notes page under "Receive Antenna TX Isolation Improvement (RXA
> Mod Kit for the KXV3)".  This mod is not required for units with the KXV3
> "Rev  B" Main Board.
>
> http://www.elecraft.com/K3/k3_app_notes.htm
>
> 73,  Bill  W4ZV

Re: It have to work better!

Barry N1EU

Alexander Ponomarenko-5 wrote
In original K3 the W16 is monowire (on top of the RF-board),
but if we will analyze the scheme, we can see that W16 must be in the
screen.
The W16 are near non screen-shielded BP-Filters, and we can see second
RX-channel on my first web-link:
http://forum.cqham.ru/download.php?id=32620
You can get out monowire W16, and replace to new W16 (behind RF-board in
our opinion).
You must to use coaxial-cable for W16. I'm used silver-plated
screen-shielded video-cable from Supra.
Yes, that seems correct Alex.

The K3 schematic clearly shows that W16 is supposed to include a grounded shield.

73,
Barry N1EU

Re: It have to work better!

ab2tc
Hi,

My spectrum on the line out isn't even as clean as the "before" picture. In addition to the spur at 12kHz I have spurs at 3.9kHz and 7.8kHz. They, as well as the 12kHz spur are down about 75dB relative to an above AGC threshold single tone. They are independent of mode and passband settings. I doubt if they are audible (I can't hear them), but if a simple replacement of a jumper could fix it, I would be willing to look at it. Where is W16? On the picture in Fig. 14 in the assembly manual I can clearly see W15, W17, W18, all unshielded wire jumpers, but not W16.

Knut - AB2TC
Barry N1EU wrote
Alexander Ponomarenko-5 wrote
In original K3 the W16 is monowire (on top of the RF-board),
<snip>
Yes, that seems correct Alex.

The K3 schematic clearly shows that W16 is supposed to include a grounded shield.

73,
Barry N1EU

Re: It have to work better!

drewko
It is the green colored wire beneath the noise blanker board?

And you replaced it with a coaxial cable on the bottom side of the RF
board, is that right?

73,
Drew
AF2Z

On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 19:25:56 +0200, Alex UR5LAM wrote:

>Priwet Bill,
>
>In original K3 the W16 is monowire (on top of the RF-board),
>but if we will analyze the scheme, we can see that W16 must be in the
>screen.
>The W16 are near non screen-shielded BP-Filters, and we can see second
>RX-channel on my first web-link:
>http://forum.cqham.ru/download.php?id=32620
>You can get out monowire W16, and replace to new W16 (behind RF-board in
>our opinion).
>You must to use coaxial-cable for W16. I'm used silver-plated
>screen-shielded video-cable from Supra.
>
>73! Alex UR5LAM

Re: It have to work better!

Alexander Ponomarenko-5
Barry N1EU wrote:

> Alexander Ponomarenko-5 wrote:
>> In original K3 the W16 is monowire (on top of the RF-board),
>> but if we will analyze the scheme, we can see that W16 must be in the
>> screen.
>> The W16 are near non screen-shielded BP-Filters, and we can see second
>> RX-channel on my first web-link:
>> http://forum.cqham.ru/download.php?id=32620
>> You can get out monowire W16, and replace to new W16 (behind RF-board in
>> our opinion).
>> You must to use coaxial-cable for W16. I'm used silver-plated
>> screen-shielded video-cable from Supra.
>>
> Yes, that seems correct Alex.
>
> The K3 schematic clearly shows that W16 is supposed to include a grounded
> shield.
>
> 73,
> Barry N1EU

No Barry, that seems as defective.
Can be Chinese assembly is guilty? :)

73! Alex UR5LAM

Re: It have to work better!

Alexander Ponomarenko-5
Yes Drew,

it is right.
And it is only beginning (W16).

73!
Alex UR5LAM

drewko wrote:

> It is the green colored wire beneath the noise blanker board?
>
> And you replaced it with a coaxial cable on the bottom side of the RF
> board, is that right?
>
> 73,
> Drew
> AF2Z
>

> On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 19:25:56 +0200, Alex UR5LAM wrote:
>
>> Priwet Bill,
>>
>> In original K3 the W16 is monowire (on top of the RF-board),
>> but if we will analyze the scheme, we can see that W16 must be in the
>> screen.
>> The W16 are near non screen-shielded BP-Filters, and we can see second
>> RX-channel on my first web-link:
>> http://forum.cqham.ru/download.php?id=32620
>> You can get out monowire W16, and replace to new W16 (behind RF-board in
>> our opinion).
>> You must to use coaxial-cable for W16. I'm used silver-plated
>> screen-shielded video-cable from Supra.
>>
>> 73! Alex UR5LAM

Re: It have to work better!

Alexandr Kobranov
Hi Alex,

are the both ends of coax shield soldered to GND ?

thanks for info,

Lexa, OK1DST
K3/10 #727

Alexander Ponomarenko napsal(a):

> Barry N1EU wrote:
>>

>> Alexander Ponomarenko-5 wrote:
>>> In original K3 the W16 is monowire (on top of the RF-board),
>>> but if we will analyze the scheme, we can see that W16 must be in the
>>> screen.
>>> The W16 are near non screen-shielded BP-Filters, and we can see
>>> second RX-channel on my first web-link:
>>> http://forum.cqham.ru/download.php?id=32620
>>> You can get out monowire W16, and replace to new W16 (behind RF-board
>>> in our opinion).
>>> You must to use coaxial-cable for W16. I'm used silver-plated
>>> screen-shielded video-cable from Supra.
>>>
>> Yes, that seems correct Alex.
>>
>> The K3 schematic clearly shows that W16 is supposed to include a grounded
>> shield.
>> 73,
>> Barry N1EU
>>

> No Barry, that seems as defective.
> Can be Chinese assembly is guilty? :)
>
> 73! Alex UR5LAM

Re: It have to work better!

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ
The schematic is in error. It was found that the coax was unnecessary.

The levels of signals reported are not audible at greater than 50-60 dB
down from normal signals and do not impact our sensitivity spec.

73, Eric  WA6HHQ
----

Barry N1EU wrote:

> Alexander Ponomarenko-5 wrote:
>
>> In original K3 the W16 is monowire (on top of the RF-board),
>> but if we will analyze the scheme, we can see that W16 must be in the
>> screen.
>> The W16 are near non screen-shielded BP-Filters, and we can see second
>> RX-channel on my first web-link:
>> http://forum.cqham.ru/download.php?id=32620
>> You can get out monowire W16, and replace to new W16 (behind RF-board in
>> our opinion).
>> You must to use coaxial-cable for W16. I'm used silver-plated
>> screen-shielded video-cable from Supra.
>>

> Yes, that seems correct Alex.
>
> The K3 schematic clearly shows that W16 is supposed to include a grounded
> shield.
>
> 73,
> Barry N1EU

Re: It have to work better!

Alexander Ponomarenko-5
Hi Lexa,

yes both, it's right:
http://forum.cqham.ru/download.php?id=32786

73!
Alex UR5LAM

Alexandr Kobranov wrote:

> Hi Alex,
>
> are the both ends of coax shield soldered to GND ?
>
> thanks for info,
>
> Lexa, OK1DST
> K3/10 #727
>
> Alexander Ponomarenko napsal(a):
>> Barry N1EU wrote:

>>> Yes, that seems correct Alex.
>>>
>>> The K3 schematic clearly shows that W16 is supposed to include a
>>> grounded
>>> shield. 73,
>>> Barry N1EU
>>>

>> No Barry, that seems as defective.
>> Can be Chinese assembly is guilty? :)
>>
>> 73! Alex UR5LAM

Re: It have to work better!

Alexander Ponomarenko-5
Hi Eric,

may be error in schematic, may be in my head. :)

Please look on these new plots:

here is plot with s9-level signal from XG1 BEFORE replaced W16:
http://forum.cqham.ru/download.php?id=32057

and here is plot with s9-level signal from XG1 AFTER replaced W16:
http://forum.cqham.ru/download.php?id=32650

Please, any yours comments.

73!
Alex UR5LAM

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ, Elecraft wrote:

> The schematic is in error. It was found that the coax was unnecessary.
>
> The levels of signals reported are not audible at greater than 50-60 dB
> down from normal signals and do not impact our sensitivity spec.
>
> 73, Eric  WA6HHQ
> ----
>

> Barry N1EU wrote:
>> Alexander Ponomarenko-5 wrote:
>>
>>> In original K3 the W16 is monowire (on top of the RF-board),
>>> but if we will analyze the scheme, we can see that W16 must be in the
>>> screen.
>>> The W16 are near non screen-shielded BP-Filters, and we can see
>>> second RX-channel on my first web-link:
>>> http://forum.cqham.ru/download.php?id=32620
>>> You can get out monowire W16, and replace to new W16 (behind RF-board
>>> in our opinion).
>>> You must to use coaxial-cable for W16. I'm used silver-plated
>>> screen-shielded video-cable from Supra.
>>>

>> Yes, that seems correct Alex.
>>
>> The K3 schematic clearly shows that W16 is supposed to include a grounded
>> shield.
>> 73,
>> Barry N1EU

Re: It have to work better!

Don Wilhelm-4
Alex,

 From what I see on your plots, the frequencies of the spurs have changed.

On the BEFORE plot, I see a main signal at -9dB and the 2 major spurs
are -78 dB at 10.4 kHz and another at -77 dB at 12.6 kHz.  The
difference between the main signal and the greatest spur is 68 dB.

On the AFTER plot, I see the main signal at -27 dB, but there are 2
major spurs - one at -85 dB at 5 kHz and another at -88 dB at 10.4 kHz.
The difference between the main signal and the greatest spur is now only
58 dB - all in all a worsening of the signal to spur ratio.

Alexander Ponomarenko wrote:

> Hi Eric,
>
> may be error in schematic, may be in my head. :)
>
> Please look on these new plots:
>
> here is plot with s9-level signal from XG1 BEFORE replaced W16:
> http://forum.cqham.ru/download.php?id=32057
>
> and here is plot with s9-level signal from XG1 AFTER replaced W16:
> http://forum.cqham.ru/download.php?id=32650
>
> Please, any yours comments.
>
> 73!
> Alex UR5LAM
>

> Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ, Elecraft wrote:
>> The schematic is in error. It was found that the coax was unnecessary.
>>
>> The levels of signals reported are not audible at greater than 50-60
>> dB down from normal signals and do not impact our sensitivity spec.
>>
>> 73, Eric  WA6HHQ

Re: It have to work better!

Chad WE9V
Good point Don.  Similarly, I noticed in the original post that, while the noise floor in the "fixed" case was flatter, it was also 10dB higher than the non-modified version, apparently masking the issue, not fixing it.

here is plot BEFORE "modification" (you can see terrible "spur" near 12kHz)
http://forum.cqham.ru/download.php?id=32620

here is plots AFTER "modification":
http://forum.cqham.ru/download.php?id=32621

Chad WE9V

On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 3:47 PM, Don Wilhelm <[hidden email]> wrote:
Alex,

>From what I see on your plots, the frequencies of the spurs have changed.

On the BEFORE plot, I see a main signal at -9dB and the 2 major spurs are -78 dB at 10.4 kHz and another at -77 dB at 12.6 kHz.  The difference between the main signal and the greatest spur is 68 dB.

On the AFTER plot, I see the main signal at -27 dB, but there are 2 major spurs - one at -85 dB at 5 kHz and another at -88 dB at 10.4 kHz.  The difference between the main signal and the greatest spur is now only 58 dB - all in all a worsening of the signal to spur ratio.

Alexander Ponomarenko wrote:
Hi Eric,

may be error in schematic, may be in my head. :)

Please look on these new plots:

here is plot with s9-level signal from XG1 BEFORE replaced W16:
http://forum.cqham.ru/download.php?id=32057

and here is plot with s9-level signal from XG1 AFTER replaced W16:
http://forum.cqham.ru/download.php?id=32650

Please, any yours comments.

73!
Alex UR5LAM

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ, Elecraft wrote:
The schematic is in error. It was found that the coax was unnecessary.

The levels of signals reported are not audible at greater than 50-60 dB down from normal signals and do not impact our sensitivity spec.

73, Eric  WA6HHQ

Re: It have to work better!

Alexander Ponomarenko-5
Don,

yes, after replaced the W16 the difference between the main signal and
the greatest spur is similar "before". But we can see, that quantity of
  spurs are much less.

Here is plots from Line-Out:
before replace the W16 : http://forum.cqham.ru/download.php?id=33328
and after replaced the W16 : http://forum.cqham.ru/download.php?id=33327