It's really amazing...

hb9dco
Just four hours ago, I met Eric at Ham Radio in Friedrichshafen...
I played a little with KX-3...a lot of people around, hi
Everybody was surprised, when I asked for "Walkie-Talkie" style...Wayne i saying hand-held...

Eric, gentleman like, grabbed out an electret microphone, and plugged in...
People around were whispering...
Yep, I'll order three KX-3 for my friends and me...a.s.a.p., of course ;-)

vy 73,
Art HB9DCO

Re: It's really amazing...

Phil Kane-2
On 6/25/2011 1:31 PM, hb9dco wrote:

> Just four hours ago, I met Eric at Ham Radio in
> Friedrichshafen... I played a little with KX-3...a lot of people
> around, hi Everybody was surprised, when I asked for
> "Walkie-Talkie" style...Wayne i saying hand-held...

  As I found out from their legal department 25+ years ago,
  "Walkie-Talkie" is a registered trademark of Motorola, Inc.
  which they protect vigorously as much as they can.  (I had
  discovered that phrase in some pending legislation and asked
  about it.)

--  73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane
    Elecraft K2/100   s/n 5402

Re: It's really amazing...

hb9dco
-->As I found out from their legal department 25+ years ago,
-->  "Walkie-Talkie" is a registered trademark of Motorola, Inc.
-->  which they protect vigorously as much as they can.  (I had
-->  discovered that phrase in some pending legislation and asked
-->  about it.)

Oh, I didn't know...Thank you very much for correction
Everybody hereover (Europe) is saying "Walkie-Talkie"...hi
I recall, started at the 60's...

From now, we call "Hand - held"...wondering then, how it really works ?

In the meantime, I'm also awaiting for my KPA500...like many are...

73,
Art HB9DCO

Re: It's really amazing...

w8fn
About ten years ago, Nextel was selling Motorola iDEN two-way technology
as a cellular telephone substitute and tried to trademark "Push To
Talk". Nextel was eventually absorbed by Sprint. I see now PTT is a term
commonly used in the cellular industry, but I don't think anyone is
trying to claim it as a trademark.

73...
Randy, W8FN

On 06/26/2011 16:01, hb9dco wrote:

> -->As I found out from their legal department 25+ years ago,
> -->   "Walkie-Talkie" is a registered trademark of Motorola, Inc.
> -->   which they protect vigorously as much as they can.  (I had
> -->   discovered that phrase in some pending legislation and asked
> -->   about it.)
>
> Oh, I didn't know...Thank you very much for correction
> Everybody hereover (Europe) is saying "Walkie-Talkie"...hi
> I recall, started at the 60's...
>
> > From now, we call "Hand - held"...wondering then, how it really works ?
>
> In the meantime, I'm also awaiting for my KPA500...like many are...
>
> 73,
> Art HB9DCO

Re: It's really amazing...

AC7AC
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: It's really amazing...

Rick Commo-2
Hmmm...  Given Elecraft rigs are such good CW rigs should we call the KX3 a
"Walkie-Keyie?"  ;-)

CONTENTS DELETED

On 6/26/2011 2:31 PM, Randy Farmer wrote:

> About ten years ago, Nextel was selling Motorola iDEN two-way
> technology as a cellular telephone substitute and tried to
> trademark "Push To Talk". Nextel was eventually absorbed by
> Sprint. I see now PTT is a term commonly used in the cellular
> industry, but I don't think anyone is trying to claim it as a
> trademark.

  The technique was different from what we hams know as "Push to
  Talk" - IIRC it was more along the lines of "push to connect".
  That provided a good laugh for all of us who were familiar with
  PTT in the usual context.

--  73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane
    Elecraft K2/100   s/n 5402

Re: It's really amazing...

John Cooper
I think Verizon has a patent or trademark on push to talk

About ten years ago, Nextel was selling Motorola iDEN two-way technology
as a cellular telephone substitute and tried to trademark "Push To
Talk". Nextel was eventually absorbed by Sprint. I see now PTT is a term
commonly used in the cellular industry, but I don't think anyone is
trying to claim it as a trademark.

73...
Randy, W8FN

On 06/26/2011 16:01, hb9dco wrote:

> -->As I found out from their legal department 25+ years ago,
> -->   "Walkie-Talkie" is a registered trademark of Motorola, Inc.
> -->   which they protect vigorously as much as they can.  (I had
> -->   discovered that phrase in some pending legislation and asked
> -->   about it.)
>
> Oh, I didn't know...Thank you very much for correction
> Everybody hereover (Europe) is saying "Walkie-Talkie"...hi
> I recall, started at the 60's...
>
> > From now, we call "Hand - held"...wondering then, how it really works ?
>
> In the meantime, I'm also awaiting for my KPA500...like many are...
>
> 73,
> Art HB9DCO

Re: It's really amazing...

John Cooper