JT modes alignment

F5LCI
Hello,
After successful use of JT65 with my KX3 overseas, I am back to my K2.
According to the manual, the "r" mode is advised, because passband and ALC are optimized.
(I never use RTTY)
On my rig, the "r" mode, as the reverted "r" mode, give the same reverted tones on the wsjt window, and no decode, of course.
Is JT65  impossible on this mode, or do I have to reconsider the filters alignment or anything else ?

Best 72 de Jean-Marc, F5LCI

"To nobody, except those who will take pleasure here" (Franz Schubert, 1797-1828)

Re: JT modes alignment

Don Wilhelm-4
Jean-Marc,

Yes, you will need to align those filters.
I normally set the FL1 position to OP1, FL2 to 1.00, FL3 to 0.70 and FL4
to 0.40 widths.
Then set the BFOs for FL1 to the same values as the SSB filters - RTTY
corresponds to LSB and RTTY REV corresponds to USB.  That filter will be
used for transmit in all cases and works well with a waterfall display
for normal receive.
Set the other filters to center on 1000 Hz.  Those can be used if a
strong interfering signal appears inside the passband of the OP1
filter.  Observe the LSB/USB relationship - the DAC numbers (and also
frequency) will be higher for RTTY REV.

If you have the KDSP2 option, also set those filters 2, 3, and 4 to
center at 1000 Hz to agree with the IF filter centers.

The use of Spectrogram is recommended when aligning the IF filters. You
can download a copy from my website www.w3fpr.com - look near the bottom
of the home page.  Instructions for the use of Spectrogram can be found
in the K2 Dial Calibration article.

On 2/11/2014 3:07 AM, F5LCI wrote:

> Hello,
> After successful use of JT65 with my KX3 overseas, I am back to my K2.
> According to the manual, the "r" mode is advised, because passband and ALC
> are optimized.
> (I never use RTTY)
> On my rig, the "r" mode, as the reverted "r" mode, give the same reverted
> tones on the wsjt window, and no decode, of course.
> Is JT65  impossible on this mode, or do I have to reconsider the filters
> alignment or anything else ?
>
> Best 72 de Jean-Marc, F5LCI
>
> "To nobody, except those who will take pleasure here" (Franz Schubert,
> 1797-1828)

Re: JT modes alignment

F5LCI
Hi Don, and thank you for the fast reply (as usual!)
I can use the USB mode, decoding is OK, But the ALC is not optimized for digital modes.

 My only problem: "R" and reverse "R" behave equally ; I thought that the tones would be inverted...
I seriously wonder : Was I wrong with alignment with the reverse "R" mode only ?
I had carefully aligned my filters ...many years ago, before JT65 appeared.
So I'll have to RTFM to remind the procedure.
Back to the book...

72, Jean-Marc, F5LCI

Le Tue, 11 Feb 2014 14:15:27 +0100, Don Wilhelm <w3fpr@embarqmail.com> a écrit:

> Jean-Marc,
>
> Yes, you will need to align those filters.
> I normally set the FL1 position to OP1, FL2 to 1.00, FL3 to 0.70 and FL4
> to 0.40 widths.
> Then set the BFOs for FL1 to the same values as the SSB filters - RTTY
> corresponds to LSB and RTTY REV corresponds to USB.  That filter will be
> used for transmit in all cases and works well with a waterfall display
> for normal receive.
> Set the other filters to center on 1000 Hz.  Those can be used if a
> strong interfering signal appears inside the passband of the OP1
> filter.  Observe the LSB/USB relationship - the DAC numbers (and also
> frequency) will be higher for RTTY REV.
>
> If you have the KDSP2 option, also set those filters 2, 3, and 4 to
> center at 1000 Hz to agree with the IF filter centers.
>
> The use of Spectrogram is recommended when aligning the IF filters. You
> can download a copy from my website www.w3fpr.com - look near the bottom
> of the home page.  Instructions for the use of Spectrogram can be found
> in the K2 Dial Calibration article.
>
> 73,
> Don W3FPR

Re: JT modes alignment

Don Wilhelm-4
Jean-Marc,

As I indicated, RTTY FL1 should be set to the OP1 filter and copy the
BFO setting from the LSB BFO.
Likewise copy the RTTY REV BFO setting from the SSB USB BFO and you
should have the RTTY FL1 behave just like USB or LSB with the exception
that there is an independent SSBC setting (look for SSBCr) in the menu -
it should be set to no compression (1-1) for digital modes.

As far as I know, the ALC will be the same as for SSB, but one usually
adds compression for SSB use which will make the ALC more aggressive.

As with all digital modes with the K2, adjust the audio level so you can
see just one bar of ALC indication, then back the audio down until that
indicator just goes off.  Adjust the desired power level with the POWER
knob.  Yes, this is different than the 'conventional wisdom' you will
see in instructions for other rigs that control power differently than
the K2.