Jurassic Radio vs. K3

dhhdeh
Wayne, Eric and all,

Forgive this OT posting but for those of your interested in a trip down
memory lane check out this exquisitely restored Hallicrafters SX-88 on eBay.

Once you get past the price, the rig and the description of its
restoration are a once in a life time find.

The SX-88 may be one of if not the most desired collectible general
coverage/ham receivers of all times.  Remarkable technology for 55 years
ago.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110452848357
<http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110452848357>

Check it out fast as it will disappear in no more that 3 days or so.

73 de N1LQ-Dave

Re: Jurassic Radio vs. K3

wrmoore
That is truly a work of art!!!

David and Dianne on Comcast wrote:
> Wayne, Eric and all,
>
> Forgive this OT posting but for those of your interested in a trip down
> memory lane check out this exquisitely restored Hallicrafters SX-88 on eBay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110452848357

Re: Jurassic Radio vs. K3

Larry Godek

 I had one of those i bought back in the late 80's locally for $45 at a garage sale.  The drive belt for the tuning  caps had deteriorated and some of the  cogs  were missing causing the tuning to "slip".  Otherwise it was a pretty good operating condition and had very reasonable cosmetics for it's age.  I never used it for ham communications but for SWLing which i still do today.  I wouldn't have put out that kind of money for it  then ($800)  nor would i even consider putting out $6000 today.  My K3 is a much better radio.  I have a very nice SP-600JX-17 and an RCA AR-88 from WWII that are my classics.  Only thing i would like to have kept was my SX-28.  Now that was a true classic in all manners.  All the above are getting increasingly heavy as i  crawl up the ladder of age so somewhere along the line they are going to have to depart this place.  I know where they will end up after i'm gone if i don't do something with them before then.

Larry
W0OGH

51 yrs a ham with a great K3 radio.  Now to learn all the tricks of using it!

  -------------- Original message from Randy Moore <[hidden email]>: --------------

> That is truly a work of art!!!
>
> David and Dianne on Comcast wrote:
> > Wayne, Eric and all,
> >
> > Forgive this OT posting but for those of your interested in a trip down
> > memory lane check out this exquisitely restored Hallicrafters SX-88 on eBay.
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110452848357

Re: Jurassic Radio vs. K3

KK7P
> 51 yrs a ham with a great K3 radio.  Now to learn all the tricks of using it!

Stay tuned, more tricks are coming soon!

73,

Lyle KK7P

Re: Jurassic Radio vs. K3

w7aqk
Good grief!  $10K?????  I don't get it!

Dave W7AQK

>> Forgive this OT posting but for those of your interested in a trip down
>> memory lane check out this exquisitely restored Hallicrafters SX-88 on
>> eBay.
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110452848357

Re: Jurassic Radio vs. K3

Don Wilhelm-4
Nostalgia is expensive!

David Y. wrote:
> Good grief!  $10K?????  I don't get it!
>
> Dave W7AQK

Re: Jurassic Radio vs. K3

AC7AC
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Jurassic Radio vs. K3

Bill Hammond
You know the K1, not to mention the K2, K3 really would of been rocket science compared to what we worked with in the 1950's and 60's.  Even the Hybrid tube transistor rigs are primitive compared to the microprocessor integrated circuit radio's we have on our operating positions today.  Take a look at what my 1959 Novice station looked like.  The Heathkit Q-Multiplier was my second kit, The Knight Space Spanner (regen) was my first (not pictured) :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ak5x/3240955697/in/set-72157612687555968/

There are 50 photographs in the Amateur Radio set if you are really bored that show a devastating ice storm and its effect on wire antennas.  There are even a few K3 videos.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ak5x/sets/72157612687555968/

73, Bill AK5X, ex K5ZFE

Re: Jurassic Radio vs. K3

Adam Farson
Hi Dave,

Hope you are doing well.

Much better and a whole lot cheaper: the Siemens E311 series of professional
HF receivers. These can still be picked up in Europe for around 500 Euro
($720). The E311 is built, and handles, like a fine measuring instrument.

http://tinyurl.com/252sfk

Cheers for now, 73,
Adam VA7OJ/AB4OJ

Message: 31

Re: Jurassic Radio vs. K3

westalto

I always wanted an SX-88 and salivated over the ads! In the early 60's there was

a  small radio store in San Mateo that had a really cherry SX-88 for around $500

Having just graduated college I wasn't in any position to even afford THAT!

My gawd, $10k, better than investing in the market!

Doug

W6JD