Jurassic Radio vs K3

wa6riv
1972 and 13 years old,

WN6EDW, First transmitter OX-2 ICM kit, true QRP. My rcvr was a Ten Tec RX-10.

Ted WP4CW

Re: Jurassic Radio vs K3

raroth7
wa6riv wrote:
> 1972 and 13 years old,
>
> WN6EDW, First transmitter OX-2 ICM kit, true QRP. My rcvr was a Ten Tec RX-10.
>
> Ted WP4CW

[snip]

I was WV2LBV in 1960 and amazingly young at 16!  Built the novice rig
featured in the Handbook (if I remember correctly) with a 6146 as both
oscillator and amp...a full 75 watts.  It took crystals to make it work,
but I had to stay still in my chair, since body capacitance caused the
frequency to slide if I moved.  Oh...when I built it, I kept blowing
rectifier tubes...until I learned the difference between a millihenry
and a microhenry.  I was thrilled to have a "real" receiver, an SX-99.
Antenna was wrapped around the exterior (window to window) four stories
up on the apartment building where we lived.  My first QSO was with
North Dakota and my knees were shaking so hard I almost couldn't
continue to handle the key!

Dick ka1oz
Middleborough, MA

Radio:  Elecraft K3/100(Kit) SN 859
Antenna:  Titan-DX

Re: Jurassic Radio vs K3

Dan in Florida
I was WN8DVT-WA8DVT in Dayton in about 1960.  See picture of my first
stations here:
http://s748.photobucket.com/albums/xx121/W4TQ/?action=view&current=StationsLR.jpg

The top picture shows my Hallicrafters Sky Champion (was an antique when I
got it) and an Ameco AC-1 (AC-1 kit bought mail order from an ad in QST).

The next picture, after I got my General, shows on the far right a homebrew
single tube 6146 amplifier, and a Heathkit VF1 VFO.  On top of the VF1 is a
6AU6 push-pull modulator I built from plans in an old ARRL manual.  I used
the modulator on the 6146's screen grid.  By setting the control grid bias
just right, the screen modulation produced a double sideband signal (sort
of)--I got good audio reports as such, anyway.  I couldn't afford to buy an
output transformer to build a plate modulator to run AM.

As you can see, my station was in the attic.  The antenna was a 40 meter
dipole which ran from one end of the attic to the other (just above my
head), and then out through a hole to a tree in the front yard.

Dan - W4TQ
K3 - 3020

Re: Jurassic Radio vs K3

AC7AC
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Jurassic Radio vs K3

rlindzen
I've yet to encounter anyone who started with the equipment I
had.  The transmitter was a Sonar SRT120P built from a kit (its final
was an AX9903).  The VFO was just an LC setup connected to the
crystal socket.  It drifted and chirped beyond belief and was
replaced by Knight VFO.  The receiver was built from a Coast Guard
Kit.  It had 8 tubes as I recall, a crystal filter, and an AC/DC
tranformerless power supply.  The kit came with a photo and a
schematic.  There were no step by step instructions.  The receiver
had no bandspread.  I eventually added an RME HF 10-20 converter.  I
also added a Q-Multiplier.  I operated out of my bedroom in an
apartment on the forth floor of a walk up apartment in the Bronx.  My
antenna was a Windom on the roof.  That said, I got a lot of fun out
of that rig, but gave it away when I left for college in 1956.

Dick

KA1SA