[K-Line] The size of things to come...

Phil Hystad-3
A question on the size of things...

I have been waiting on my purchase of the KPA500 because I knew that I also wanted to get the KAT500.  The reason for the wait is the size of these things.  So, now I know the size of the KPA500 and I thought I knew the size of the KAT500 when someone posted here on this forum that it would be in the P3 size of box.  Now, a few days ago I read a message where someone said it was going to be in a KPA500/K3 sized box.

I am in the process of designing a new desk area for my rigs and I want to fit the K-line in a nice configuration for easy access and so on.  But, knowing how big everything is part of the input I need.

So, Wayne, Eric, others of solid knowledge -- just how big will the KAT500 be (if it is currently known)?

73, phil, K7PEH

Re: [K-Line] The size of things to come...

wayne burdick
Administrator
Hi Phil,

The KAT500 matches the K3/KPA500 footprint, but it's very thin (1.5"
-- same height as the W2 wattmeter). You'll be able to place the
KAT500 on top of either the K3 or KPA500.

73,
Wayne
N6KR

On Nov 15, 2011, at 1:09 PM, Phil Hystad wrote:

> A question on the size of things...
>
> I have been waiting on my purchase of the KPA500 because I knew that
> I also wanted to get the KAT500.  The reason for the wait is the
> size of these things.  So, now I know the size of the KPA500 and I
> thought I knew the size of the KAT500 when someone posted here on
> this forum that it would be in the P3 size of box.  Now, a few days
> ago I read a message where someone said it was going to be in a
> KPA500/K3 sized box.
>
> I am in the process of designing a new desk area for my rigs and I
> want to fit the K-line in a nice configuration for easy access and
> so on.  But, knowing how big everything is part of the input I need.
>
> So, Wayne, Eric, others of solid knowledge -- just how big will the
> KAT500 be (if it is currently known)?
>
> 73, phil, K7PEH

Re: [K-Line] The size of things to come...

Jim Sheldon

Re: [K-Line] The size of things to come...

Jim Sheldon
Got a space cleared on top of the KPA500.  Now all that needs to happen is for it to show up on the order pages before I run out of money - LOL

Jim - W0EB

> Hi Phil,
>
> The KAT500 matches the K3/KPA500 footprint, but it's very thin (1.5"
> -- same height as the W2 wattmeter). You'll be able to place the
> KAT500 on top of either the K3 or KPA500.
>
> 73,
> Wayne
> N6KR
>
> On Nov 15, 2011, at 1:09 PM, Phil Hystad wrote:
>
>> A question on the size of things...
>>
>> I have been waiting on my purchase of the KPA500 because I knew
>> that
>> I also wanted to get the KAT500.  The reason for the wait is the
>> size of these things.  So, now I know the size of the KPA500 and I
>> thought I knew the size of the KAT500 when someone posted here on
>> this forum that it would be in the P3 size of box.  Now, a few
>> days
>> ago I read a message where someone said it was going to be in a
>> KPA500/K3 sized box.
>>
>> I am in the process of designing a new desk area for my rigs and I
>> want to fit the K-line in a nice configuration for easy access and
>> so on.  But, knowing how big everything is part of the input I
>> need.
>>
>> So, Wayne, Eric, others of solid knowledge -- just how big will
>> the
>> KAT500 be (if it is currently known)?
>>
>> 73, phil, K7PEH

>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>>
>> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
>> Please help support this email list:
>> http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

Re: [K-Line] The size of things to come...

Guy, K2AV
How do you do that without violating the air flow requirements for either
K3 or KPA500?      73, Guy

On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 4:36 PM, Wayne Burdick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Phil,
>
> The KAT500 matches the K3/KPA500 footprint, but it's very thin (1.5"
> -- same height as the W2 wattmeter). You'll be able to place the
> KAT500 on top of either the K3 or KPA500.
>
> 73,
> Wayne
> N6KR
>
> On Nov 15, 2011, at 1:09 PM, Phil Hystad wrote:
>
> > A question on the size of things...
> >
> > I have been waiting on my purchase of the KPA500 because I knew that
> > I also wanted to get the KAT500.  The reason for the wait is the
> > size of these things.  So, now I know the size of the KPA500 and I
> > thought I knew the size of the KAT500 when someone posted here on
> > this forum that it would be in the P3 size of box.  Now, a few days
> > ago I read a message where someone said it was going to be in a
> > KPA500/K3 sized box.
> >
> > I am in the process of designing a new desk area for my rigs and I
> > want to fit the K-line in a nice configuration for easy access and
> > so on.  But, knowing how big everything is part of the input I need.
> >
> > So, Wayne, Eric, others of solid knowledge -- just how big will the
> > KAT500 be (if it is currently known)?
> >
> > 73, phil, K7PEH

> > Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: [K-Line] The size of things to come...

wayne burdick
Administrator
The KAT500's enclosure is extensively ventilated to minimize air flow
restriction when sitting on top of other equipment. We've tested it to
ensure very minimal temperature rise when used on top of the KPA500.

73,
Wayne
N6KR

On Nov 15, 2011, at 2:46 PM, Guy Olinger K2AV wrote:

> How do you do that without violating the air flow requirements for
> either K3 or KPA500?      73, Guy
>
> On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 4:36 PM, Wayne Burdick <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> Hi Phil,
>
> The KAT500 matches the K3/KPA500 footprint, but it's very thin (1.5"
> -- same height as the W2 wattmeter). You'll be able to place the
> KAT500 on top of either the K3 or KPA500.
>
> 73,
> Wayne
> N6KR
>
> On Nov 15, 2011, at 1:09 PM, Phil Hystad wrote:
>
> > A question on the size of things...
> >
> > I have been waiting on my purchase of the KPA500 because I knew that
> > I also wanted to get the KAT500.  The reason for the wait is the
> > size of these things.  So, now I know the size of the KPA500 and I
> > thought I knew the size of the KAT500 when someone posted here on
> > this forum that it would be in the P3 size of box.  Now, a few days
> > ago I read a message where someone said it was going to be in a
> > KPA500/K3 sized box.
> >
> > I am in the process of designing a new desk area for my rigs and I
> > want to fit the K-line in a nice configuration for easy access and
> > so on.  But, knowing how big everything is part of the input I need.
> >
> > So, Wayne, Eric, others of solid knowledge -- just how big will the
> > KAT500 be (if it is currently known)?
> >
> > 73, phil, K7PEH

> > Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: [K-Line] The size of things to come...

Jeff Cochrane - VK4XA
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: [K-Line] The size of things to come...

DaveL  G3TJP
>The KAT500's enclosure is extensively ventilated to minimize air flow
>restriction when sitting on top of other equipment. We've tested it to
>ensure very minimal temperature rise when used on top of the KPA500.

Surely, the best place for an auto ATU is ator as close as possible to the
feedpoint of the antenna, effectively removing the transmission line from
the equation?

Does Elecraft intend producing a remotely tuned ATU for the KPA500?
Apologies if this has been asked and answered before.  If it has, I didn't
find it.

73 all.  Dave, G3TJP

Re: [K-Line] The size of things to come...

wayne burdick
Administrator
We're starting with a basic in-shack version of the KAT500, allowing
us to focus on achieving rock-solid L-network performance at this
power level (it's our first high-power ATU). We hope to leverage this
experience and offer a remote version in the future.

Some of the competing products we evaluated had serious RFI or
component-rating deficiencies that caused them to fail in our test
suite. That won't happen with the KAT500.

73,
Wayne
N6KR

On Nov 16, 2011, at 6:23 AM, Dave Lankshear wrote:

>> The KAT500's enclosure is extensively ventilated to minimize air flow
>> restriction when sitting on top of other equipment. We've tested it
>> ensure very minimal temperature rise when used on top of the KPA500.
>

> Surely, the best place for an auto ATU is ator as close as possible
> to the
> feedpoint of the antenna, effectively removing the transmission line
> from
> the equation?
>

> Does Elecraft intend producing a remotely tuned ATU for the KPA500?
> Apologies if this has been asked and answered before.  If it has, I
> didn't
> find it.
>

> 73 all.  Dave, G3TJP

That's the way I would do it

hf4me
Don't you just love it when Elecraft "does it the way I would do it" (if I
had the capability).  Unimaginable in today's world until Elecraft.

73, de Jim KG0KP

> We're starting with a basic in-shack version of the KAT500, allowing
> us to focus on achieving rock-solid L-network performance at this
> power level (it's our first high-power ATU). We hope to leverage this
> experience and offer a remote version in the future.
>
> Some of the competing products we evaluated had serious RFI or
> component-rating deficiencies that caused them to fail in our test
> suite. That won't happen with the KAT500.
>
> 73,
> Wayne
> N6KR
>
> On Nov 16, 2011, at 6:23 AM, Dave Lankshear wrote:
>
>>> The KAT500's enclosure is extensively ventilated to minimize air flow
>>> restriction when sitting on top of other equipment. We've tested it
>>> ensure very minimal temperature rise when used on top of the KPA500.
>>

>> Surely, the best place for an auto ATU is ator as close as possible
>> to the
>> feedpoint of the antenna, effectively removing the transmission line
>> from
>> the equation?
>>

>> Does Elecraft intend producing a remotely tuned ATU for the KPA500?
>> Apologies if this has been asked and answered before.  If it has, I
>> didn't
>> find it.
>>

>> 73 all.  Dave, G3TJP

>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: [K-Line] The size of things to come...

chas
On 16/11/11 16:17, Wayne Burdick wrote:
> We're starting with a basic in-shack version of the KAT500, allowing
> us to focus on achieving rock-solid L-network performance at this
> power level (it's our first high-power ATU). We hope to leverage this
> experience and offer a remote version in the future.
>
> Some of the competing products we evaluated had serious RFI or
> component-rating deficiencies that caused them to fail in our test
> suite. That won't happen with the KAT500.

So, will we have the opportunity to buy a KAT500 before the end of
December 2011?

73 from Charles