K1 - # 2793 is on the air!

K Price
Just wanted to thank everyone for helping me get this great radio built.  I also wanted to thank those involved with the Nabble site.  I have used it several times to save myself some headaches.  This includes last night when I was about to cut the trace on they KAT1.  Thankfully the documentation didn't match the board so it made me stop and wonder.  A quick search of Nabble and once again I had not read the directions completely.

Anyway, building a K1 has been a goal of mine for a long time.  I started with some very small (cheap) kits to build up my confidence.  Compared to the documentation in other kits I can see why everyone brags on the Elecraft manuals.  The only times I messed up (which were several) it was not due to the document.  Rather, it was me skipping a step or not reading the entire step before soldering.

Not sure what I will build next but I feel certain another Elecraft rig will be on my desk.

Listen for K1 #2793 on 40, 30, 20 or 17 meters!

72,
Keith Price (WA5LPW)
901-763-1275 (home) / 901-409-1432 (cell)

Micah 6:8 (NIV)
He has showed you, O man, what is good.
   And what does the LORD require of you?
   To act justly and to love mercy
   and to walk humbly with your God.

www.wa5lpw.com

FISTS Member # 12699,  SKCC # 3004
Flying Pig QRP # 1553, NAQCC # 1797, QRPARCI # 12927

Re: K1 - # 2793 is on the air!

w5tvw
Congrats Keith!

You are gonna REALLY be pleased with that rig once you lerarn the "menus".
Great receiver and nice sounding transmitter.  I built my Serial #1178 some
years ago.  BEST QRP rig I have ever owned.  Have only the KAT1 tuner, but
also have a T1 tuner when that "fails" on 80 meters in the field.

Built mine originally with 40/30/20/15 meters.  Only part I have replaced
has been the tuning pot.  "Subbed" the all metal one and have yet to wear it
out.  It has been a stellar rig in every way.  I have two additional 2 band
boards for it: one for 80/40 (the bands I work most in winter time) and one
for 160 and 80.  I made around 20 contacts with it and an 85' end fed wire
on 160 the last ARRL 160 meter contest, just for fun.  Didn't submit the
log.  The filter can be made narrow enough to seperate th huge
"wall-to-wall" string of stations that get on during the 160 "tests"!  Wish
people would spend more time on this band in winter time.  It would be m uch
better than 80 for short haul QSO's!

73,

Sandy W5TVW

> Just wanted to thank everyone for helping me get this great radio built.
> I also wanted to thank those involved with the Nabble site.  I have used
> it several times to save myself some headaches.  This includes last night
> when I was about to cut the trace on they KAT1.  Thankfully the
> documentation didn't match the board so it made me stop and wonder.  A
> quick search of Nabble and once again I had not read the directions
> completely.
>
> Anyway, building a K1 has been a goal of mine for a long time.  I started
> with some very small (cheap) kits to build up my confidence.  Compared to
> the documentation in other kits I can see why everyone brags on the
> Elecraft manuals.  The only times I messed up (which were several) it was
> not due to the document.  Rather, it was me skipping a step or not reading
> the entire step before soldering.
>
> Not sure what I will build next but I feel certain another Elecraft rig
> will be on my desk.
>

> Listen for K1 #2793 on 40, 30, 20 or 17 meters!
>
> 72,
> Keith Price (WA5LPW)
> 901-763-1275 (home) / 901-409-1432 (cell)
>
> Micah 6:8 (NIV)
> He has showed you, O man, what is good.
>   And what does the LORD require of you?
>   To act justly and to love mercy
>   and to walk humbly with your God.
>

> www.wa5lpw.com
>
> FISTS Member # 12699,  SKCC # 3004
> Flying Pig QRP # 1553, NAQCC # 1797, QRPARCI # 12927

13:32:00