K1 #2999 does not seem to get 5 watts out on 20

K1 #2999 does not seem to get 5 watts out on 20

Don Baucom
I adjusted the K1 again ( transmit adj) the receiver sounds louder on 20. I still cant seem to get 5 watts out. When Im around 14.010 its is 4 bars ( ant tuner says the swr is 1.1) and as I move up (14.040) it will sometimes drop to 3 bars( tuner once again says 1.1) . On 40 I do get 5 bars. I am running it through a MFJ SWR/Watt meter and the power looks like it is just under 5 watts.. I am not using the plastic coil tuner. I use a small screwdriver with tape. Not sure that could be a issue? I did retouch all the solder joints that related to 20 meters on the filter board.

Last night I  received a 599 from a 500 mile QSO into Canada so maybe I should not worry?

I have the 2 band module (40/20)

Is it typical for the power to have a drop off from 40 to 20?

Thanks
Don

Re: K1 #2999 does not seem to get 5 watts out on 20

Don Wilhelm-4
Don,

Make certain the turns on the 20 meter low pass filter toroids are
spread completely around the core.  If the turns are "bunched up", the
cutoff frequency of the 20 meter LPF can be down in the 20 meter band
instead of above 14,350 MHz, and a substantial amount of power will be
shunted to ground.

Judge the power output only into a dummy load - initially with the tuner
removed (don't forget the jumper).
After you obtain adequate power output without the tuner, then you can
add the tuner, balance it and calibrate its wattmeter.
You can believe the K1 power reading into a 50 ohm dummy load when the
KXAT1 is removed - so do not put your external wattmeter between the K1
and dummy load.  When you get ready for the KAT1 power calibration (and
after you have balanced the KXAT1 wattmeter), then you will add the
external wattmeter and adjust the FWD pot on the KAT1 to make the power
readings agree.

What I am saying is that many external wattmeters can introduce
reactance to the transceiver output, so eliminate them until they are
needed - use a good 50 ohm pure resistive dummy load for the best
results and connect it to the K1 with a short length of coax.

Be certain you set the jumper near the BNC jack to the proper Non-KAT1
or KAT1 position when changing from no tuner to KXAT1 installed.

If you have gone through all those procedures and still have problems,
back the configuration down to the K1 without the KAT1, and if you do
not have sufficient output, turn the manual to the Transmit Signal
Tracing section in the manual and follow that procedure.  Once you have
identified the stage where the RF Voltage is substantially less than the
expected value, you have found the output of the failing stage.  Tell us
the relevant details and we should be able to assist with detailed
measurements of that failing stage.

On 10/17/2011 5:40 PM, Don Baucom wrote:

> I adjusted the K1 again ( transmit adj) the receiver sounds louder on 20. I
> still cant seem to get 5 watts out. When Im around 14.010 its is 4 bars (
> ant tuner says the swr is 1.1) and as I move up (14.040) it will sometimes
> drop to 3 bars( tuner once again says 1.1) . On 40 I do get 5 bars. I am
> running it through a MFJ SWR/Watt meter and the power looks like it is just
> under 5 watts.. I am not using the plastic coil tuner. I use a small
> screwdriver with tape. Not sure that could be a issue? I did retouch all the
> solder joints that related to 20 meters on the filter board.
>

> Last night I  received a 599 from a 500 mile QSO into Canada so maybe I
> should not worry?
>
> I have the 2 band module (40/20)
>
> Is it typical for the power to have a drop off from 40 to 20?
>
> Thanks
> Don

Re: K1 #2999 does not seem to get 5 watts out on 20

Don Baucom
Don- Thanks!!! I did exactly what you said and everthing is in order. My low pass toriods looked good. I had not tuned the KATV1 properly. I was just sending CQ on 14.040 and see a nice 5 bars with the power set to 5 watts. I cant wait to get the K2.

73
Don