K1-4 Bands

George
I just ordered a K1-4 to build after the first of the year. I  wanted to
build it for 80-40-30-20. But there is not a 80 meter option listed. I  really
do not want to mess with using 2 boards. Is there a way for me to add 80
meters to the 4 band board?   Thanks George/W2BPI

Re: K1-4 Bands

Bruce Beford-2
Sorry, George. I don't believe you can do easily do 80M with a 4 band board.
The issue is that that board requires each of two bands to use the same
low-pass filter. So, normally, one low-pass filter is used by 40/30M, and
the other is used by 20 and 17 or 15M.

One compromise option would be to choose component values that allow 80M on
one band using it's own LP filter, and then the other filter is used by some
other combo, like 40/30 or 20/17 etc..

I use a 4 band board for 40/30/20/15, and a two band board for 160/80M.

73,
Bruce N1RX

Re: K1-4 Bands

w5tvw
NO! Not without some majaor redesign.

I like you would prefer it instead of 40/30/20/15!

I have a two band 160/80 board (160 isn't a "standard offering"  but
Elecraft has all the parts except the crystal!)  Also have an 80/40 meter 2
band board I use in winter time.

Great little rig.

73,

Sandy W5TVW

>I just ordered a K1-4 to build after the first of the year. I  wanted to
> build it for 80-40-30-20. But there is not a 80 meter option listed. I
> really
> do not want to mess with using 2 boards. Is there a way for me to add 80
> meters to the 4 band board?   Thanks George/W2BPI

01:35:00

Re: K1-4 Bands

George,

With some serious re-design, you could have an 80, 20 15 (or 17) meter
board (only 3 bands).  The low pass filters are shared, and the LPF must
have a cutoff frequency below the 2nd harmonic.  So 40 and 30 work well
together, and 20 and 15 (or 17) work well together, but 80 would have to
stand alone.
30, 20 and 15 (or 17) could be made to work with the LPFs, but the relay
switching will not allow that 3 band combination.  As a result, you
could modify the 4 band board to work as a "3 band" board with 80 and
20, 15 (or 17), but that would be your only choice.

It would be better to procure another 2 band board and configure it for
80 meters plus another band of your choice.

[hidden email] wrote:
> I just ordered a K1-4 to build after the first of the year. I  wanted to
> build it for 80-40-30-20. But there is not a 80 meter option listed. I  really
> do not want to mess with using 2 boards. Is there a way for me to add 80
> meters to the 4 band board?   Thanks George/W2BPI

Re: K1-4 Bands

Rick Dettinger-3
> And if you are going to change boards often, I would suggest not
> installing the KAT1.  It would be better to use an external tuner as
> the band filter board is located under the ATU and it more than
> doubles the time it takes to change boards.

73,
Rick Dettinger   K7MW