K1-4 Frequency

Ken H
Hi all, this is another question I have with the K1-4.  When I transmit on my 756Pro, the K1-4 receives right on freq, but if I transmit on the K1-4 the 756Pro will show the received freq higher.  i.e.  The 756Pro has the CW filter set to 100hz so it is pretty narrow.

transmit on 7040.0 on the K1-4, the 756Pro receives on 7040.75
Transmit on 10,130.0 on the K1-4, the 756Pro receives on 10129.20
Transmit on 14,040.0 with the K1-4, the 756Pro receives on 14,040.63
Transmit on 18,100.0 with the K1-4, the 756Pro receives on 18,100.75

And I do appreciate all the help provided.

73 de Ken H.

Re: K1-4 Frequency

Sandy W5TVW
Ken,
    I assume you did the "offsetting" or individual band calibrating procedure that
takes care of differences in the band heterodyne crystals for each band?
    You can compensate for error on each band individually so that the readout
will be very close to producing the frequency dialed up.
    You might go back and do that step for each band again if you haven';t done
it yet, or redo it again.  Once programmed into the controller chip it will stay
that way.  The only thing that WON'T work is say if you have an extra 2 band
RF board for say 80/40.  One 40 meter band will calibrate OK and the other
40 meter band will be off frequency.
73
Sandy W5TVW
73,
Sandy W5TVW
| Hi all, this is another question I have with the K1-4.  When I transmit on my
756Pro, the K1-4 receives right on freq, but if I transmit on the K1-4 the 756Pro
will show the received freq higher.  i.e.  The 756Pro has the CW filter set to 100hz
so it is pretty narrow.

| transmit on 7040.0 on the K1-4, the 756Pro receives on 7040.75
| Transmit on 10,130.0 on the K1-4, the 756Pro receives on 10129.20
| Transmit on 14,040.0 with the K1-4, the 756Pro receives on 14,040.63
| Transmit on 18,100.0 with the K1-4, the 756Pro receives on 18,100.75
|
| And I do appreciate all the help provided.
|
| 73 de Ken H.
|
| Help: http://mailman.qth.net/subscribers.htm
| Elecraft web page: http://www.elecraft.com

Re: K1-4 Frequency

Ken H
Not a problem Sandy.   I will also sent this to the group.

The problem seemed to be in the calibrating the transmit offset was the reason the transmit was off.  The receive calibration about was right on.

I took the K1 over to Jim - K4ZM - house today and we (he) used his test equip to get the alignment right on.  We found an intermittent 18.100 crystal that was causing the problem on 30 meters.  Replaced it, and it's now working good on 30 meters.  When I did the test below the crystal was working, but later it wouldn't work.  Once when Jim was testing it, the crystal worked, then it wouldn't work so he replaced it.

Jim checked the receiver sensitivity at .1 microvolt and you could still hear the test signal good enough to copy.  I was impressed at how good the receiver is on the K1.

Thanks to all for the help.