K1 - 80m tx not working with wrong toroid for T4 transformer

K1 - 80m tx not working with wrong toroid for T4 transformer

Guido Roels
Hello Lorenz and others,

I have got the same problem on 80m with my recently assembled K1, sn#2919.
The PA current was over 4amps for 5 watts RF output.
I also burned the PA final Q7.
After investigation, it turned out that wrong toroid was supplied for T4
with the kit.
After replacing the toroid by a correct FT50-43 and a new PA 2SC1969 FOR Q7
the set was
working perfect also on 80m.

I will advise al owners of recently assembled K1 sets to check the type of
the T4 toroid.
With the wrong type the set is working on the higher bands, output is
normal, but the PA
current is higher than it should be as the efficiency of the PA is too low.
The wrong toroid is complete black with a diameter of 11mm. The FT50-43 is
black with one
side dark grey and the diameter is 12,7mm.

I know already from two other sets with the same problem. So there will be
more around
I suppose. At Elecraft they are aware of this.

Hope this will help you and maybe others out of the problems.

73, Guido, ON6RL.