K1 Alignment and Test Part I

Dom M1KTA
Might have a problem on build and bit stuck as isn't clear why it happened....

Got to page 36... Alignment and test Part I.

Apply power.. OK E27 appears. Press any buttom changes to E42....
Tried it second time... again worked fine so time to take a break.
First first turn off power (S1 on rig and at supply).
As for the bench etc moved nothing, unplugged nothing, touched nothing.... just went to make a coffee.

Return, turn power on. Only light that turns on is the ATTN LED and it stays on nothing else.

Removed power dismantled the FP from RF and checked all the FP resistance values with those obtained earlier and they are all the same.

Supply is 13.8V and very well regulated.

Trouble shooting doesn't say anything that would appear to help.

Thought would check voltages on the main board... so with front panel disconnected.
13.8V applied.
P30 tests
P1 pin 15 5.97V
P1 pin 16 13.53V
U3 pin 5 3.98V
U3 pin 6 7.98

Get same with it connected.

So double checked every solder joint, didn't have to do anything to any of them and reconnected the FP to the RF board. Tried applying power and LED's cycle as before E27 appears, press any button and E42 appears again but power cycle and the behaviour repeats.

I am building this for someone else I am a bit puzzled any suggestions? is it wise to continue ? Might there another problem I haven't seen?
If the ATTN led remains on permanently there is a problem isn't there?

Seen one post that says something similar but no fix and they carried on with the build and it worked....

72

Dom
M1KTA

Re: K1 Alignment and Test Part I

Don Wilhelm-4
Domonic,

The error codes and enumerated beginning on page 1 of Appendix E in the
manual.
The E27 says that the filter board firmware is not communicating with
the K1 microprocessor.
The E42 says that the VFO is not oscillating properly - if you have not
yet installed L1, that message is normal until it is installed.

Dominic Baines wrote:

> Might have a problem on build and bit stuck as isn't clear why it happened....
>
> Got to page 36... Alignment and test Part I.
>
> Apply power.. OK E27 appears. Press any buttom changes to E42....
> Tried it second time... again worked fine so time to take a break.
> First first turn off power (S1 on rig and at supply).
> As for the bench etc moved nothing, unplugged nothing, touched nothing.... just went to make a coffee.
>
> Return, turn power on. Only light that turns on is the ATTN LED and it stays on nothing else.
>

> Removed power dismantled the FP from RF and checked all the FP resistance values with those obtained earlier and they are all the same.
>
> Supply is 13.8V and very well regulated.
>
> Trouble shooting doesn't say anything that would appear to help.
>
> Thought would check voltages on the main board... so with front panel disconnected.
> 13.8V applied.
> P30 tests
> P1 pin 15 5.97V
> P1 pin 16 13.53V
> U3 pin 5 3.98V
> U3 pin 6 7.98
>

> Get same with it connected.
>
> So double checked every solder joint, didn't have to do anything to any of them and reconnected the FP to the RF board. Tried applying power and LED's cycle as before E27 appears, press any button and E42 appears again but power cycle and the behaviour repeats.
>
> I am building this for someone else I am a bit puzzled any suggestions? is it wise to continue ? Might there another problem I haven't seen?
> If the ATTN led remains on permanently there is a problem isn't there?
>

> Seen one post that says something similar but no fix and they carried on with the build and it worked....
>
> 72
>
> Dom
> M1KTA

Re: K1 Alignment and Test Part I

Dom M1KTA
Thanks Don and Elecraft support.

"The ATTN LED being stuck on is an indication the MCU is not fully resetting at power on" is the message I got from Elecraft and they said check the MCI aka 16CPIC77 socket pins.

Apologies Don, I should have been clearer...

I expected the E27 and the E42 message should appear and why as the build notes and the error codes explains them. What concerns is that the rig then seems to lock up on a power cycle with the ATTN LED remaining on permanent and nothing seems to fix it except a totally dismantle of the FP and RF boards and then reassembly. But the fix is not permanent and repeats on power cycle.

There do not appear to be any solder bridges and I traced the pins from FP to RF board for continuity but as it appears to be 'intermittent' It does seem to be a solder problem on a pin of the main MCU so going to try and reflow all the the socket pins including those under the LCD and check the MCU is reseated in the socket.

72

Dom
M1KTA

The error codes and enumerated beginning on page 1 of Appendix E
> in the
manual.
The E27 says that the filter board firmware is not
> communicating with
the K1 microprocessor.
The E42 says that the VFO is
> not oscillating properly - if you have not
yet installed L1, that message is
> normal until it is installed.

Dominic Baines

> wrote:
> Might have a problem on build and bit stuck as isn't clear why it
> happened....
>
> Got to page 36... Alignment and test Part
> I.
>
> Apply power.. OK E27 appears. Press any buttom changes to
> E42....
> Tried it second time... again worked fine so time to take a
> break.
> First first turn off power (S1 on rig and at supply).
> As
> for the bench etc moved nothing, unplugged nothing, touched nothing.... just
> went to make a coffee.
>
> Return, turn power on. Only light that
> turns on is the ATTN LED and it stays on nothing else.
>

> Removed power dismantled the FP from RF and checked all the FP resistance values
> with those obtained earlier and they are all the same.
>
> Supply is
> 13.8V and very well regulated.
>
> Trouble shooting doesn't say
> anything that would appear to help.
>
> Thought would check voltages
> on the main board... so with front panel disconnected.
> 13.8V
> applied.
> P30 tests
> P1 pin 15 5.97V
> P1 pin 16
> 13.53V
> U3 pin 5 3.98V
> U3 pin 6 7.98
>

> Get
> same with it connected.
>
> So double checked every solder joint,
> didn't have to do anything to any of them and reconnected the FP to the RF
> board. Tried applying power and LED's cycle as before E27 appears, press any
> button and E42 appears again but power cycle and the behaviour
> repeats.
>
> I am building this for someone else I am a bit puzzled
> any suggestions? is it wise to continue ? Might there another problem I haven't
> seen?
> If the ATTN led remains on permanently there is a problem isn't
> there?
>

> Seen one post that says something similar but no
> fix and they carried on with the build and it worked....
>

> 72
>
> Dom
> M1KTA

Re: K1 Alignment and Test Part I

Will - AI4VE
I had a similar problem when I built my K1. Same symptoms. I wish I could give you a specific cure but in my case I touched up a large number of solder points and the problem went away. None of the joints looked bad to my weak eyes, even with a magnifier lamp, but one or more of them were apparently the problem.

Good luck.

Will, AI4VE