K1 - Can someone quantify "faint wiper noise" from VFO pot?

K1 - Can someone quantify "faint wiper noise" from VFO pot?

stan levandowski
Compared to the velvety-smooth feel and noiseless operation of my K2 and
K3 tuning controls, and the equally quiet and nearly as smooth operation
of my KX1, my K1 is a big disappointment.

While the manual clearly states that there will be some 'faint noise'
from the VFO pot's wiper, I was not prepared for the downright 'cheap'
feel and clearly audible scratching sound when being rotated.

The pot made this noise when it was uninstalled and laying in the palm
of my hand so this has nothing to do with any mounting error or a
too-tight knob.

I'd like to know if my experience is similar to other K1 operators which
means I simply have to adjust my expectation level - OR - maybe my pot
is just a statistical outlier? Aside from the mechanical noise and feel,
the pot is doing its job just fine.

Thanks!

73, Stan WB2LQF
KX1 #2411    K1#2994    K2# 6980    K3#5244     K9 #1 (Cocoa the
Chihuahua)
Everything is QRP, even the dog.

Re: K1 - Can someone quantify "faint wiper noise" from VFO pot?

Don Wilhelm-4
  Stan,

That VFO pot is a quite good quality 10 turn pot.  It does have a
wire-wound resistance element, and the noise you hear (and feel) is the
wiper moving across the wires.  There is nothing wrong with that, it is
just the way things are.  If you want something more quiet, perhaps you
can find a multi-turn pot that does not use the wire-wound element, but
most of those I have seen are not as smooth electrically as a wire-wound.

Try the pot with it mounted on the front panel and the knob attached.
The feeling is much smoother with the knob (at least that is from my
perspective).

On 5/16/2011 10:51 AM, stan levandowski wrote:

> Compared to the velvety-smooth feel and noiseless operation of my K2 and
> K3 tuning controls, and the equally quiet and nearly as smooth operation
> of my KX1, my K1 is a big disappointment.
>
> While the manual clearly states that there will be some 'faint noise'
> from the VFO pot's wiper, I was not prepared for the downright 'cheap'
> feel and clearly audible scratching sound when being rotated.
>
> The pot made this noise when it was uninstalled and laying in the palm
> of my hand so this has nothing to do with any mounting error or a
> too-tight knob.

Re: K1 - Can someone quantify "faint wiper noise" from VFO pot?

VK7JB
Hello Stan,

This is an interesting observation.   For reasons I'll not elaborate on here :), I ended up with two front panels for my K1,  serial #2822.  Both panels were bought from Elecraft within a few weeks of one another.  Both have the same brand VFO pot with same ID markings, so I believe they are identical parts with the same nominal specs.   However, each has a very different "feel".  One is very smooth indeed - I can't feel the "wire effect" or hear any noise as I move the wiper. It's smooth and creamy.  The second is like yours - it has a definite "wire feel" to it and I can easily hear it when I move the wiper.  The "wire effect" pot is  the one that ended up being wired into my K1.  I intend to swap it over for the "smooth and creamy" one, which is currently sitting in the cupboard attached to the unused FP board.

So, I figure there are significant differences between individual instances of this pot.  Perhaps I have two at opposite ends of the spectrum.  I know which I prefer.

73,
John
VK7JB
K1 #2822, K2/100 #6998,  K3/100 # 7102

Re: K1 - Can someone quantify "faint wiper noise" from VFO pot?

Rick Dettinger-3
A few years ago, someone on this list recommended a metal body pot.  I
bought one and think it was a good investment for my K1.  I no longer
have the original plastic model, or I can't find it, so I can't do a
direct comparison, but the "metal" replacement has a very nice feel.
I also use a heavier K2 knob on my K1, which likely helps in the
smoothness department.

73,
Rick Dettinger   K7MW

On May 17, 2011, at 1:39 AM, VK7JB wrote:

> Hello Stan,
>
> This is an interesting observation.   For reasons I'll not elaborate
> on here
> :), I ended up with two front panels for my K1,  serial #2822.  Both
> panels
> were bought from Elecraft within a few weeks of one another.  Both
> have the
> same brand VFO pot with same ID markings, so I believe they are
> identical
> parts with the same nominal specs.   However, each has a very
> different
> "feel".  One is very smooth indeed - I can't feel the "wire effect"
> or hear
> any noise as I move the wiper. It's smooth and creamy.  The second
> is like
> yours - it has a definite "wire feel" to it and I can easily hear it
> when I
> move the wiper.  The "wire effect" pot is  the one that ended up
> being wired
> into my K1.  I intend to swap it over for the "smooth and creamy"
> one, which
> is currently sitting in the cupboard attached to the unused FP board.
>
> So, I figure there are significant differences between individual
> instances
> of this pot.  Perhaps I have two at opposite ends of the spectrum.
> I know
> which I prefer.
>
> 73,
> John
> VK7JB
> K1 #2822, K2/100 #6998,  K3/100 # 7102

Re: K1 - Can someone quantify "faint wiper noise" from VFO pot?

Don Wilhelm-4
  Rick,

That Bourns pot that you refer to is now being shipped with new K1s and
has been for the past year or so.

On 5/17/2011 9:54 AM, Rick Dettinger wrote:

> A few years ago, someone on this list recommended a metal body pot.  I
> bought one and think it was a good investment for my K1.  I no longer
> have the original plastic model, or I can't find it, so I can't do a
> direct comparison, but the "metal" replacement has a very nice feel.
> I also use a heavier K2 knob on my K1, which likely helps in the
> smoothness department.
>
> 73,
> Rick Dettinger   K7MW

Re: K1 - Can someone quantify "faint wiper noise" from VFO pot?

VK7JB
FWIW, both my K1 pots are Bourns, 3540S-1-104L.
They have a blue body, which may be thin alloy or plastic, I'm not sure.
One is "smooth and creamy", the other "wire feel", though they're both identical in markings and appearance.  So, they're not all identical in tactile experience.  :)

73
John
VK7JB