[K1] KAT1 with EFHW?

Curt
I am planning a trip to "bush" in Ontario this spring, contemplating
bringing my K1 which has a KAT1.  Last year used a different transmitter, a
simple EFHW tuner, 34' wire on 20M ( and surprisingly on 30M ) with good
success.  With little experience using the KAT1, from the manual it seems it
isn't capable of dealing with high impedance of an EFHW.  Has anyone used
the KAT1 with this type antenna with good results?  Does anyone know the
maximum impedance the KAT1 can deal with?

Re: [K1] KAT1 with EFHW?

Matt Maguire
If the KAT1 can't handle an EFHW, then you could easily knock up something like this:
http://www.spirat.com.au/vk5zvs/pic49.htm

Or you could even leave off the cap and use the KAT1 to tune it (ie. just use the toroid as an auto transformer to reduce the impedence to within the range of the KAT1)

73, Matt VK2ACL

On 29/02/2012, at 8:40 AM, Curt wrote:

> I am planning a trip to "bush" in Ontario this spring, contemplating
> bringing my K1 which has a KAT1.  Last year used a different transmitter, a
> simple EFHW tuner, 34' wire on 20M ( and surprisingly on 30M ) with good
> success.  With little experience using the KAT1, from the manual it seems it
> isn't capable of dealing with high impedance of an EFHW.  Has anyone used
> the KAT1 with this type antenna with good results?  Does anyone know the
> maximum impedance the KAT1 can deal with?

Re: [K1] KAT1 with EFHW?

Michael Babineau-2
Curt wrote :
>I am planning a trip to "bush" in Ontario this spring, contemplating bringing my K1 which has a KAT1.  Last year used a different transmitter, a simple EFHW tuner, 34' wire on 20M ( and surprisingly on 30M ) with good success.  With >little experience using the KAT1, from the manual it seems it isn't capable of dealing with high impedance of an EFHW.  Has anyone used the KAT1 with this type antenna with good results?  Does anyone know the maximum >impedance the KAT1 can deal with?

The KAT1 will not handle the high impedance of an EFHW antenna.  If you want to use an EFHW with the K1 have a peek at the SOTA Tuner that
Hendricks QRP sells .. I think that the kit is only something like $35.

You can however use an endfed wire that is not a 1/2 wavelength.  The recommended 24 to 28 ft length worked against a few 16 ft radials will
work quite well on 40m through 15m. I have also had pretty good luck with an end-fed 51 ft wire for 40m/30m/20 although that is a bit too long on 30m
and results in at best about a 2:1 swr on 30m unless you coil up a few feet.  If you have the space, an 86ft end-fed will will match pretty much anywhere
from 80m through 10m with the KAT1 as it is a "magical length" that isn't close to a 1/2 wave (or multiple) on any of the HF ham bands.

Michael VE3WMB