K1 KBAT1 bracket

Byron Servies
Hi there!

I have finally decided to give the KBAT1 I've had sitting here for a
while a try.  I've relocated my K6XX CW tuning indicator so that the
battery bracket will fit, but I'm having trouble with the bracket +
new top cover combination.

The bracket is fully down on the stop, but on the battery/switch side
the top cover will not sit flush.  It seems the groove for the bracket
is not deep enough.

Before I break out the dremel or a file and solve the problem, has
anyone else seen this issue?  And what did you do about it?

73, Byron N6NUL
--
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2012 Cal QSO Party 6-7 Oct 2012

Re: K1 KBAT1 bracket

Don Wilhelm-4
Byron,

I don't know just how much your bracket is extending above the side
panel, but there is a slight bit of contact intended to keep the bracket
from rattling around.
Your solution is probably correct, but just cut a little at a time so
you don't go too far.

On 4/21/2012 4:43 PM, Byron Servies wrote:

> Hi there!
>
> I have finally decided to give the KBAT1 I've had sitting here for a
> while a try.  I've relocated my K6XX CW tuning indicator so that the
> battery bracket will fit, but I'm having trouble with the bracket +
> new top cover combination.
>
> The bracket is fully down on the stop, but on the battery/switch side
> the top cover will not sit flush.  It seems the groove for the bracket
> is not deep enough.
>
> Before I break out the dremel or a file and solve the problem, has
> anyone else seen this issue?  And what did you do about it?
>
> 73, Byron N6NUL

Re: K1 KBAT1 bracket

Byron Servies
Hi Don,

I should have mentioned it is off by about the thickness of the top
cover itself.

Thanks for the advice,

73 Byron N6NUL

--
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2012 Cal QSO Party 6-7 Oct 2012
- www.cqp.org

Re: K1 KBAT1 bracket

Mike Morrow-3

>I have finally decided to give the KBAT1 I've had sitting here for a
>while a try...
>
>The bracket is fully down on the stop, but on the battery/switch side
>the top cover will not sit flush.  It seems the groove for the bracket
>is not deep enough.
>
>Before I break out the dremel or a file and solve the problem, has
>anyone else seen this issue?  And what did you do about it?

My KBT1 bracket notch is 0.375 inches deep, both sides of course, from
the bottom surface of the bracket.  The bracket top surface that holds
the battery switch (and which mounts against the bottom of the top cover
when that is in place) to the notch is 0.850 inches.  That also should
be the depth measured from the top of the K1 left side plate to the top
of that side plate's mounting screw threaded assembly, which will rest
in the KBT1 bracket notch.

If there are any variances on your installation in the K1 side plate or
the KBT1 bracket, then some adjustment will need to be made.  But this
has never been reported as a problem, AFAIK.  And if your measurements
are identical to what I report, then something really odd is going on!

The KBT1 is the only Elecraft accessory I removed after 18 months.  I
don't like a potential chemical release source inside my K1, and the stock
top cover and speaker are so much better looking and sounding than those
of the KBT1.  In other words, this owner (for 11 years) of the K1 does
not recommend the KBT1.  FWIW.

73,
Mike / KK5F

Re: K1 KBAT1 bracket

Mike Morrow-3
I wrote:

> That also should be the depth measured from the top of the K1
> left side plate to the top of that side plate's mounting screw
> threaded assembly, which will rest in the KBT1 bracket notch.

Correct that statement!  The distance from the top of the mounting
screw assembly to the top of the K1 left side plate will be larger
by the thickness of the top cover plate, or about .900 inches total
(not 0.850 inches).

Mike / KK5F