K1 Kit Question

Phil Hystad-3
I would like confirmation on how the K1 is configured for 2-bands, 4-bands, and 6-bands.  I heard that for some of the configurations you must swap out boards.  Now, I think that this occurs when your order the two band version originally and then get the 2-band option.  I heard that these two boards occupy the same slot so if you want to have four bands without having to swap boards you should buy the 4-band version of the K1 to begin with.

Similar question for the 4 band version and the use of a 2-band option board given a total of six bands.  In this configuration do you need to swap out the 4-band module board and swap in the 2-band in its place to operate the 2 bands on the 2-band option board.

Does any of this make sense?

I would appreciate it if someone would confirm the way this works.  My original plan was to get the 2-band K1 and get the 2-band option later but if this requires swapping boards I would likely get the 4-band option to begin with (maybe).

Thanks,

73, phil, K7PEH

Re: K1 Kit Question

Gil G.
Hello,

When buying the K1, you choose either a 2-band or 4-band filter board. There can be only one filter board in the radio at one time. For six bands, you would have either a 4-band board plus a 2-band board and switch between the two, or possibly three 2-band boards (I don't think anybody does that). For four bands, you would have either one 4-band board, or two 2-band boards (I don't think anyone does that either. The most used configuration is probably (40/30/20/15)+(80-17). Better get the 4-band module with your K1 first, even if you have to wait to save the extra $100. Also, do get the backlit option. Switching bands is a pain in the rear, especially if you have the automatic tuning board installed. You have to unscrew and remove the tuner, then switch the filter board, reinstall the tuner, close the box, then set the menu to use your newly install board.. Not something I want to do regularly, and certainly not in the field..

Gil.
--
New site: http://radiopreppers.com
PGP Key: http://keskydee.com/gil.asc

On Jul 21, 2012, at 1:44 PM, Phil Hystad wrote:

> I would like confirmation on how the K1 is configured for 2-bands, 4-bands, and 6-bands.  I heard that for some of the configurations you must swap out boards.  Now, I think that this occurs when your order the two band version originally and then get the 2-band option.  I heard that these two boards occupy the same slot so if you want to have four bands without having to swap boards you should buy the 4-band version of the K1 to begin with.
>
> Similar question for the 4 band version and the use of a 2-band option board given a total of six bands.  In this configuration do you need to swap out the 4-band module board and swap in the 2-band in its place to operate the 2 bands on the 2-band option board.
>
> Does any of this make sense?
>
> I would appreciate it if someone would confirm the way this works.  My original plan was to get the 2-band K1 and get the 2-band option later but if this requires swapping boards I would likely get the 4-band option to begin with (maybe).
>
> Thanks,
>
> 73, phil, K7PEH

Re: K1 Kit Question

Phil Hystad-3
Gil, and also Ray (previous message),

Thanks for the comments.  Yes, I will now definitely get the 4-band version (yes, and the backlit feature).

phil

On Jul 21, 2012, at 11:11 AM, Gil G. wrote:

> Hello,
>
> When buying the K1, you choose either a 2-band or 4-band filter board. There can be only one filter board in the radio at one time. For six bands, you would have either a 4-band board plus a 2-band board and switch between the two, or possibly three 2-band boards (I don't think anybody does that). For four bands, you would have either one 4-band board, or two 2-band boards (I don't think anyone does that either. The most used configuration is probably (40/30/20/15)+(80-17). Better get the 4-band module with your K1 first, even if you have to wait to save the extra $100. Also, do get the backlit option. Switching bands is a pain in the rear, especially if you have the automatic tuning board installed. You have to unscrew and remove the tuner, then switch the filter board, reinstall the tuner, close the box, then set the menu to use your newly install board.. Not something I want to do regularly, and certainly not in the field..
>
> Gil.
> --
> New site: http://radiopreppers.com
> PGP Key: http://keskydee.com/gil.asc
>
> On Jul 21, 2012, at 1:44 PM, Phil Hystad wrote:
>
>> I would like confirmation on how the K1 is configured for 2-bands, 4-bands, and 6-bands.  I heard that for some of the configurations you must swap out boards.  Now, I think that this occurs when your order the two band version originally and then get the 2-band option.  I heard that these two boards occupy the same slot so if you want to have four bands without having to swap boards you should buy the 4-band version of the K1 to begin with.
>>
>> Similar question for the 4 band version and the use of a 2-band option board given a total of six bands.  In this configuration do you need to swap out the 4-band module board and swap in the 2-band in its place to operate the 2 bands on the 2-band option board.
>>
>> Does any of this make sense?
>>
>> I would appreciate it if someone would confirm the way this works.  My original plan was to get the 2-band K1 and get the 2-band option later but if this requires swapping boards I would likely get the 4-band option to begin with (maybe).
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> 73, phil, K7PEH

>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: K1 Kit Question

"Hjalmar Duklæt"

Re: K1 Kit Question

Gil G.
Great. With mine, I did all the "wrong things." Two-band filter board, and no backlit. I wanted to save a few bucks. Now I am thinking of getting the 4-band board, but no backlit still, too much of a pain to install after the fact.. The automatic tuner is a great option, but you can always install that later. The noise blanker, I don't know.. Probably something one would rarely use, but I imagine could save the day when you really need it.. I wish there was a 80/40/30/20 board, or even a 80/40/20… Maybe leaving one band off the 4-band board...

Gil.
--

On Jul 21, 2012, at 2:32 PM, Phil Hystad wrote:

> Gil, and also Ray (previous message),
>
> Thanks for the comments.  Yes, I will now definitely get the 4-band version (yes, and the backlit feature).
>
> phil
>

> On Jul 21, 2012, at 11:11 AM, Gil G. wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> When buying the K1, you choose either a 2-band or 4-band filter board. There can be only one filter board in the radio at one time. For six bands, you would have either a 4-band board plus a 2-band board and switch between the two, or possibly three 2-band boards (I don't think anybody does that). For four bands, you would have either one 4-band board, or two 2-band boards (I don't think anyone does that either. The most used configuration is probably (40/30/20/15)+(80-17). Better get the 4-band module with your K1 first, even if you have to wait to save the extra $100. Also, do get the backlit option. Switching bands is a pain in the rear, especially if you have the automatic tuning board installed. You have to unscrew and remove the tuner, then switch the filter board, reinstall the tuner, close the box, then set the menu to use your newly install board.. Not something I want to do regularly, and certainly not in the field..
>>
>> Gil.
>> --
>> New site: http://radiopreppers.com
>> PGP Key: http://keskydee.com/gil.asc
>>
>> On Jul 21, 2012, at 1:44 PM, Phil Hystad wrote:
>>
>>> I would like confirmation on how the K1 is configured for 2-bands, 4-bands, and 6-bands.  I heard that for some of the configurations you must swap out boards.  Now, I think that this occurs when your order the two band version originally and then get the 2-band option.  I heard that these two boards occupy the same slot so if you want to have four bands without having to swap boards you should buy the 4-band version of the K1 to begin with.
>>>
>>> Similar question for the 4 band version and the use of a 2-band option board given a total of six bands.  In this configuration do you need to swap out the 4-band module board and swap in the 2-band in its place to operate the 2 bands on the 2-band option board.
>>>
>>> Does any of this make sense?
>>>
>>> I would appreciate it if someone would confirm the way this works.  My original plan was to get the 2-band K1 and get the 2-band option later but if this requires swapping boards I would likely get the 4-band option to begin with (maybe).
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> 73, phil, K7PEH

>>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: K1 Kit Question

Bruce Beford-2
Unfortunately, this is not an option. On the 4 band board, each of two
adjacent band pairs shars the output low pass filter. The bands must be
close together for this to work, i.e. 40/30 & 20/15 or 20/17. If one wants
80M, it must be built on a 2 band board.

On my last K1, I had 40/30/20/15, and a custom built 2 band board for
160/80M. I just finished restoring a 4 band unit with the same base
combinations. I also have a 40/20 2 band board that I may just redo as
160M/80M again. I did enjoy using the K1 on 160M. No, Elecraft does not
offer 160M for the K1, although several of us on the list have done so. All
the parts are available from Elecraft, with the exception of the 9.8 MHz
crystal needed. For mine, I popped the top off an old 9.83 MHz computer
crystal, and "penned it down" to 9.8 MHz. Worked fine. Others have ordered a
custom crystal from ICM.

73,
Bruce, N1RX

> I wish there was a 80/40/30/20 board, or even a 80/40/20. Maybe leaving
one band off the 4-band
> board...

Re: K1 Kit Question

Mike Markowski-2
When I travel to other US army bases I bring my K1 along because
fantastic antennas are often available.  I still bring a wire antenna,
though, if I'm on my own.  I went with the 4-band K1, backlight, stand,
and also picked up Paddlettes and a Soviet leg-strap straight key.

If you'll be traveling at all with yours, I recommend a little case.  I
got a Pelican 1000 - plenty of room - free as part of some promotion
which you can see with my K1 at

   http://udel.edu/~mm/ham/k1ToGo.jpg

Sorry the pic is a little dark.  If you'll be flying include your FCC
license.  (I hard-laminated mine.)  It can help depending on who checks
it out.

73,
Mike ab3ap

On 07/21/2012 02:39 PM, Gil G. wrote:

> Great. With mine, I did all the "wrong things." Two-band filter
> board, and no backlit. I wanted to save a few bucks. Now I am
> thinking of getting the 4-band board, but no backlit still, too much
> of a pain to install after the fact.. The automatic tuner is a great
> option, but you can always install that later. The noise blanker, I
> don't know.. Probably something one would rarely use, but I imagine
> could save the day when you really need it.. I wish there was a
> 80/40/30/20 board, or even a 80/40/20… Maybe leaving one band off the
> 4-band board...
>
> Gil. -- New site: http://radiopreppers.com PGP Key:
> http://keskydee.com/gil.asc

Re: K1 Kit Question

Gil G.
What about turning a four-band board into a three-band board with 80m?

Gil.
--

On Jul 21, 2012, at 2:55 PM, Bruce Beford wrote:

> Unfortunately, this is not an option. On the 4 band board, each of two
> adjacent band pairs shars the output low pass filter. The bands must be
> close together for this to work, i.e. 40/30 & 20/15 or 20/17. If one wants
> 80M, it must be built on a 2 band board.

Re: K1 Kit Question

Stan AE7UT
Wow very nice case Mike.
I'm going to have to get one of those too.

So it seems like most people do the 15 meter rather than 17 meter build.
I'm new to CW but on SSB I find 17 really a great band with very nice
people.  Is there a reason you "seasoned" CW guys use 15?

Stan AE7UT

Re: K1 Kit Question

w5tvw
My K1 has been a great rig.  I originally got it with the 4 band board
option setup for 40/30/20/15 meters.  I later bought a 2 band board kit and
set it up for 80 and 17 meters.  Some time later I got a second 2 band board
and purchased extra parts (all from Elecraft EXCEPT one crystal!) and set it
up for 160/80 meters.  160 is NOT a "stock" Elecraft sub kit for the 2 band
boards, but it works great on 1.8-1.9 Mhz on 160 for rare QRP forays there!

Yes, you have to exchange the boards and do a quick programming to let the
CPU know what bands are active and then reassemble the rig.  Takes only a
few minutes.  For the most part, my rig stays on the 4 band option except
midwinter when 160 and 80 are quiet.

If some method of fine frequency control was available ( built in) it would
be interesting to setup one band of a 2 band card for 60 meter CW!

73,

Sandy W5TVW

[...]

-----
No virus found in this message.

Re: K1 Kit Question

w5tvw
I have the KAT1 tuner in my K1.  If I wass going to do it allover again buy
the T1 external tuner instead of the built in KAT1 tuner.  IT covers a
greater impedance range and makes "band changing" from 2 to 4 band boards
MUCH easier.  I would strongly recommend the K1-T1 instead of the K1-KAT1
setup.

73,
Sandy W5TVW

-----
No virus found in this message.

Re: K1 Kit Question

Gil G.
Hello,

I don't seem to be able to find the Pelican 1000 model, only the 1200…
Anyone else has found the best Pelican case for a K1, currently in production?

Thanks.

Gil.
--

On Jul 21, 2012, at 3:19 PM, Mike Markowski wrote:

> If you'll be traveling at all with yours, I recommend a little case.  I
> got a Pelican 1000 - plenty of room

Re: K1 Kit Question

Mike Markowski-2
Apologies, Gil, mine is the Pelican -1400- which is still in production.
  A quick look at Amazon makes me realize I was lucky to get it for free
(manufacturer promotion some years back).  Much pricier than I expected!

73,
Mike ab3ap

On 07/21/2012 05:36 PM, Gil G. wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I don't seem to be able to find the Pelican 1000 model, only the 1200…
> Anyone else has found the best Pelican case for a K1, currently in production?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Gil.
> --
> New site: http://radiopreppers.com
> PGP Key: http://keskydee.com/gil.asc
>
> On Jul 21, 2012, at 3:19 PM, Mike Markowski wrote:
>
>> If you'll be traveling at all with yours, I recommend a little case.  I
>> got a Pelican 1000 - plenty of room

Re: K1 Kit Question

Phil Hystad-3
Sandy,

Actually, I was not going to get the tuner because I already have the T1 that I use with my KX1 and my Norcal 40A.

phil

On Jul 21, 2012, at 2:14 PM, Sandy wrote:

> I have the KAT1 tuner in my K1.  If I wass going to do it allover again buy
> the T1 external tuner instead of the built in KAT1 tuner.  IT covers a
> greater impedance range and makes "band changing" from 2 to 4 band boards
> MUCH easier.  I would strongly recommend the K1-T1 instead of the K1-KAT1
> setup.
>
> 73,
> Sandy W5TVW

Bill Frantz
As a cave explorer, I have long and favorable experience with
Pelican and Otter cases. I carry camara equipment in them in
caves where they get banged on rocks, submerged in water, and
draged on the ground. The equipment inside, including strobes
with their high voltage circuity, just keeps working.

Cheers - Bill, AE6JV