K1 OT lead acid battery charging

ki4bbl
Ok, I have a 12vdc 5ah lead acid battery.  I have a 15amp 13.8 volt
power supply I use for my qrp power.  Can I charge the battery with
that supply?  How do I know when it is fully charged, etc

Greg Doughty
Ki4bbl

Greg
ki4bbl

Re: K1 OT lead acid battery charging

W8JI
Assuming it is like any typical lead acid battery charging
voltage of a six cell lead-acid battery, to fully charge the
battery,  is over 13.8 volts.
It has to under 14.7 volts to prevent excessive gassing,
14.4 volts is generally the gassing threshold.

Most of the stuff here that includes a voltage chart at the
end, although geared for cars and drag racing, is applicable
to most lead-acid batteries:

http://www.w8ji.com/battery_and_charging_system.htm

73 Tom

> Ok, I have a 12vdc 5ah lead acid battery.  I have a 15amp
> 13.8 volt
> power supply I use for my qrp power.  Can I charge the
> battery with
> that supply?  How do I know when it is fully charged, etc
>

> Greg Doughty
> Ki4bbl

> Please help support this email list:
> http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

Re: K1 OT lead acid battery charging

n7ws

The short answer is that if the battery is discharged, you
will, at least in the initial phase, be severely overcharging it and in the end
phase, be undercharging it.

At the very least, as a rule of thumb you should limit the current initially to
something under C/4, where C= AH rating = 5A.  So this is an Ohm's law
problem.  Measure the open circuit voltage, subtract that value from the
charging voltage and provide a series resistor that limits the current to that
calculated earlier.

For example, say the battery measures 12.0V.  You want to drop 13.8 - 12.0
or 1.8V across a resistor with 5 / 4 A passing through it.  So R = 1.44
Ohm. This of course isn't a common value, so if you err on the conservative
side you would want to use a higher value, thus lower initial charging current.

You can also see that as the battery charges, and its voltage rises, less and
less charge current results.  In theory, due to self-discharge, the
battery voltage never quite reaches 13.8V.  And even if it did, it's still
not fully charged; so overcharging, i.e. a higher voltage still is required to
do that.

More here:  http://www.amplepower.com/primer/full/index.html

From: [hidden email] <[hidden email]>

To: "Elecraft Reflector" <[hidden email]>