K1 Question Please?

Mike Morrow-3
Alexey wrote of IC socket use where Elecraft did not specify it:

> I don't think there will be any problem...

That statement is definitely NOT correct.  IC socket use where not
absolutely required is very bad, amateur, sophmoric engineering.

Do so and Elecraft will not repair the problems that your "improvement"
of their design causes.

Do NOT use IC sockets where Elecraft does NOT specify IC sockets.

Ever.

Anywhere.

Mike / KK5F

Re: K1 Question Please?

Alexey Kats
I wholeheartedly agree that I did not consider this topic from the
perspective of warranty repairs (never needed it in the past since I
do always do it myself).

But I had been in a situation in a different country where the cost of
a single IC (even though it is very cheap here in US) was close to my
TWO MONTH INCOME. And with the high chances of getting a fried chip at
the bazaar back then the trouble of installing a socket for almost
everything was definitely not sophomoric, amateurish, silly, stupid,
or unnecessary - it was a compromise to bring the cost of highly
likely repairs down (the cost of trashing entire board due to
re-soldering same IC over and over was unacceptable).

Can it be installed? Yes. Can it work? Yes. Will it cause problems
mechanically for further assembly process? No. Will it be as reliable
as soldering? No. Will it be accepted for warranty repairs? No. Will
it decrease the chance of breaking the board trying to unsolder the
fried or mis-installed IC by an inexperienced builder? Yes. Will it
increase the chance of mis-installing IC? Yes. Will it be worth it?
Depends on your personal preference.

Did I miss anything?

--
Alexey Kats (neko)

Re: K1 Question Please?

Geoffrey Mackenzie-Kennedy
Alexey,

Yes, you didn't mention the type of IC socket :-)

Turned Pin sockets aka Machined Pin sockets provide very reliable
connections, but are more expensive than the "flat contact" type of socket
supplied in many amateur kits which can cause problems.

Turned Pin sockets were used in some telephone exchange equipment before the
advent of SMDs.

73,
Geoff
GM4ESD

Alexey Kats wrote on Monday, August 23, 2010 at 7:10 AM:

<snip>

> Can it be installed? Yes. Can it work? Yes. Will it cause problems
> mechanically for further assembly process? No. Will it be as reliable
> as soldering? No. Will it be accepted for warranty repairs? No. Will
> it decrease the chance of breaking the board trying to unsolder the
> fried or mis-installed IC by an inexperienced builder? Yes. Will it
> increase the chance of mis-installing IC? Yes. Will it be worth it?
> Depends on your personal preference.
>
> Did I miss anything?

Re: K1 Question Please?

Alexey Kats
Agreed. I'd trust something like this:

http://ly.rsdelivers.com/product/winslow/w30514trc/14-way-turned-pin-dil-socket-03in-pitch/0813121.aspx

--
Alexey Kats (neko)

Re: K1 Question Please?

Vic K2VCO
The job of replacing a bad soldered-in chip is easy, does not require any special
equipment, and does not threaten the board it's mounted on. Even a klutz like me has done
it many times successfully.

All you need is a small pair of cutters. Cut all the legs of the bad chip near the body
and remove the bad chip.

Then if you feel like it you can unsolder each of the legs one at a time, clean the holes
with solder wick and replace the chip. If you don't want to risk even that or don't have
access to the bottom of the board, just solder the new chip to the old legs.

--
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA

Re: K1 Question Please?

Mike Morrow-3
I finally got a chance to search for the list posting by Eric that
stated Elecraft's warranty repair policy if IC sockets are added by
a customer.  It was posted more than seven years ago.

Below Eric's concise posting is my longer-winded comment made at that
time.