K1 Transmitter problem

Dennis Rayfield
I'm building a K1 and have everything finished and am at the stage for transmitter alignment and test.  I use the out menu to set the output to 3 watts, but when I put it into tune mode it immediately shows P0.1 on the display and there is no power out.  When I take it out of tune and go back to the out menu, that still shows 3 watts.

Any suggestions where I should start with this?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Denny - KI3F

Re: K1 Transmitter problem

Don Wilhelm-4
Dennis,

It sounds like you need to turn the manual to the Transmit Signal
Tracing section in the back of the manual.
Once you isolate the failure to a specific stage, we can help you
isolate to the component level.
Right now, all we can say is that there is a problem somewhere in the
transmit path.
You might want to check for soldering problems, unsoldered components or
those where the solder did not flow out adequately onto both the
component lead and the thru-plated hole.  Re-flow the soldering with a
hot soldering iron - 750 degF if you used leaded solder, 800 degF if you
used unleaded solder.

On 2/28/2012 9:58 PM, Dennis Rayfield wrote:
> I'm building a K1 and have everything finished and am at the stage for transmitter alignment and test.  I use the out menu to set the output to 3 watts, but when I put it into tune mode it immediately shows P0.1 on the display and there is no power out.  When I take it out of tune and go back to the out menu, that still shows 3 watts.
>
> Any suggestions where I should start with this?
>
> Thanks for any suggestions.

Re: K1 Transmitter problem

Dennis Rayfield
Thanks.  I've checked that it is not in keyer test mode.  I was just not sure if the processor was resetting the power down.  I'm off to build an RF Probe.

Regards,

Denny - KI3F

On Feb 28, 2012, at 10:12 PM, Don Wilhelm <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dennis,
>
> It sounds like you need to turn the manual to the Transmit Signal Tracing section in the back of the manual.
> Once you isolate the failure to a specific stage, we can help you isolate to the component level.
> Right now, all we can say is that there is a problem somewhere in the transmit path.
> You might want to check for soldering problems, unsoldered components or those where the solder did not flow out adequately onto both the component lead and the thru-plated hole.  Re-flow the soldering with a hot soldering iron - 750 degF if you used leaded solder, 800 degF if you used unleaded solder.
>
> 73,
> Don W3FPR
>
> On 2/28/2012 9:58 PM, Dennis Rayfield wrote:
>> I'm building a K1 and have everything finished and am at the stage for transmitter alignment and test.  I use the out menu to set the output to 3 watts, but when I put it into tune mode it immediately shows P0.1 on the display and there is no power out.  When I take it out of tune and go back to the out menu, that still shows 3 watts.
>>
>> Any suggestions where I should start with this?
>>
>> Thanks for any suggestions.

Re: K1 Transmitter problem

Dennis Rayfield
I've build an RF Probe, and worked through the transmitter signal tracing section.  All of the voltages are within range until I get to the band-pass filter.  I'm just reading .07 volts rather than the 0.5-1.0 that it should read.  I have the 4 band module (40, 30, 20, 15) and the relays click when I change the bands.

Thanks for any help.

73,

Denny - KI3F

On Feb 28, 2012, at 10:12 PM, Don Wilhelm <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dennis,
>
> It sounds like you need to turn the manual to the Transmit Signal Tracing section in the back of the manual.
> Once you isolate the failure to a specific stage, we can help you isolate to the component level.
> Right now, all we can say is that there is a problem somewhere in the transmit path.
> You might want to check for soldering problems, unsoldered components or those where the solder did not flow out adequately onto both the component lead and the thru-plated hole.  Re-flow the soldering with a hot soldering iron - 750 degF if you used leaded solder, 800 degF if you used unleaded solder.
>
> 73,
> Don W3FPR
>
> On 2/28/2012 9:58 PM, Dennis Rayfield wrote:
>> I'm building a K1 and have everything finished and am at the stage for transmitter alignment and test.  I use the out menu to set the output to 3 watts, but when I put it into tune mode it immediately shows P0.1 on the display and there is no power out.  When I take it out of tune and go back to the out menu, that still shows 3 watts.
>>
>> Any suggestions where I should start with this?
>>
>> Thanks for any suggestions.

Re: K1 Transmitter problem

Don Wilhelm-4
Denny,

Tell us more - what band, and what
rf voltage are you reading at the Transmit mixer output (pin 4)  How
about th DC voltages?

73.
Don W3FPR

On 2/29/2012 10:04 PM, Dennis Rayfield wrote:

> I've build an RF Probe, and worked through the transmitter signal tracing section.  All of the voltages are within range until I get to the band-pass filter.  I'm just reading .07 volts rather than the 0.5-1.0 that it should read.  I have the 4 band module (40, 30, 20, 15) and the relays click when I change the bands.
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> 73,
>
> Denny - KI3F
>

> On Feb 28, 2012, at 10:12 PM, Don Wilhelm<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> Dennis,
>>
>> It sounds like you need to turn the manual to the Transmit Signal Tracing section in the back of the manual.
>> Once you isolate the failure to a specific stage, we can help you isolate to the component level.
>> Right now, all we can say is that there is a problem somewhere in the transmit path.
>> You might want to check for soldering problems, unsoldered components or those where the solder did not flow out adequately onto both the component lead and the thru-plated hole.  Re-flow the soldering with a hot soldering iron - 750 degF if you used leaded solder, 800 degF if you used unleaded solder.
>>
>> 73,
>> Don W3FPR
>>
>> On 2/28/2012 9:58 PM, Dennis Rayfield wrote:
>>> I'm building a K1 and have everything finished and am at the stage for transmitter alignment and test.  I use the out menu to set the output to 3 watts, but when I put it into tune mode it immediately shows P0.1 on the display and there is no power out.  When I take it out of tune and go back to the out menu, that still shows 3 watts.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions where I should start with this?
>>>
>>> Thanks for any suggestions.

Re: K1 Transmitter problem

Dennis Rayfield
Don,

Thanks for your questions and helping me work through this.  The RF voltages I'm seeing are (on 30 M) are:

PRE -   .068
ATTN - .023
OSC -   .014
MIX -    .105
BUF -  1.37
TR1 -    .62
BPF -    .076

The DC voltages on page 46 were all within the ranges indicated.

The output power in tune show P0.1 on all bands except 15M, there it moves up to P0.3 and stops there.  I'll check the RF voltages at all points on all bands tonight after work...

73,

Denny

On Feb 29, 2012, at 10:17 PM, Don Wilhelm <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Denny,
>
> Tell us more - what band, and what
> rf voltage are you reading at the Transmit mixer output (pin 4)  How
> about th DC voltages?
>
> 73.
> Don W3FPR
>
> On 2/29/2012 10:04 PM, Dennis Rayfield wrote:
>> I've build an RF Probe, and worked through the transmitter signal tracing section.  All of the voltages are within range until I get to the band-pass filter.  I'm just reading .07 volts rather than the 0.5-1.0 that it should read.  I have the 4 band module (40, 30, 20, 15) and the relays click when I change the bands.
>>
>> Thanks for any help.
>>
>> 73,
>>
>> Denny - KI3F
>>

>> On Feb 28, 2012, at 10:12 PM, Don Wilhelm<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>
>>> Dennis,
>>>
>>> It sounds like you need to turn the manual to the Transmit Signal Tracing section in the back of the manual.
>>> Once you isolate the failure to a specific stage, we can help you isolate to the component level.
>>> Right now, all we can say is that there is a problem somewhere in the transmit path.
>>> You might want to check for soldering problems, unsoldered components or those where the solder did not flow out adequately onto both the component lead and the thru-plated hole.  Re-flow the soldering with a hot soldering iron - 750 degF if you used leaded solder, 800 degF if you used unleaded solder.
>>>
>>> 73,
>>> Don W3FPR

>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: K1 Transmitter problem

Dennis Rayfield
OK, I assumed that tweaking the trimmers on the filter board would just move the power out small bits.  such as if you have the power out set at P2.0, the trimmers would tune between P1.7 and maybe P2.3.  I want in and starting adjusting them, and I get power out now in the right ranges, and fact I can trim them for much higher than what I set the power for.  I'll go back and read the ALC stuff tonight, and make sure I understand it.

Should I adjust the trimmers for max output, or to what I set the power out to be with the menu?

73,

Denny - KI3F

On Mar 1, 2012, at 6:12 AM, Dennis Rayfield <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Don,
>
> Thanks for your questions and helping me work through this.  The RF voltages I'm seeing are (on 30 M) are:
>
> PRE -   .068
> ATTN - .023
> OSC -   .014
> MIX -    .105
> BUF -  1.37
> TR1 -    .62
> BPF -    .076
>
> The DC voltages on page 46 were all within the ranges indicated.
>
> The output power in tune show P0.1 on all bands except 15M, there it moves up to P0.3 and stops there.  I'll check the RF voltages at all points on all bands tonight after work...
>
> 73,
>
> Denny
>

> On Feb 29, 2012, at 10:17 PM, Don Wilhelm <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Denny,
>>
>> Tell us more - what band, and what
>> rf voltage are you reading at the Transmit mixer output (pin 4)  How
>> about th DC voltages?
>>
>> 73.
>> Don W3FPR
>>
>> On 2/29/2012 10:04 PM, Dennis Rayfield wrote:
>>> I've build an RF Probe, and worked through the transmitter signal tracing section.  All of the voltages are within range until I get to the band-pass filter.  I'm just reading .07 volts rather than the 0.5-1.0 that it should read.  I have the 4 band module (40, 30, 20, 15) and the relays click when I change the bands.
>>>
>>> Thanks for any help.
>>>
>>> 73,

>>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: K1 Transmitter problem

Don Wilhelm-4
Denny,

Adjust the trimmers for maximum power.  If the power goes above 5 watts,
bring it down by repeatably tapping the WPM- button or exit TUNE and set
the OUT menu to a lower value.

Remember that you are adjusting for a peak - and if the power output
goes too high, you will not be able to see the peak of the tuning
because the transistors have reached their peak capability.  That is why
you need to keep the power low while tuning.

On 3/1/2012 6:47 AM, Dennis Rayfield wrote:

> OK, I assumed that tweaking the trimmers on the filter board would just move the power out small bits.  such as if you have the power out set at P2.0, the trimmers would tune between P1.7 and maybe P2.3.  I want in and starting adjusting them, and I get power out now in the right ranges, and fact I can trim them for much higher than what I set the power for.  I'll go back and read the ALC stuff tonight, and make sure I understand it.
>
> Should I adjust the trimmers for max output, or to what I set the power out to be with the menu?
>
> 73,
>
> Denny - KI3F
>

> On Mar 1, 2012, at 6:12 AM, Dennis Rayfield<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> Don,
>>
>> Thanks for your questions and helping me work through this.  The RF voltages I'm seeing are (on 30 M) are:
>>
>> PRE -   .068
>> ATTN - .023
>> OSC -   .014
>> MIX -    .105
>> BUF -  1.37
>> TR1 -    .62
>> BPF -    .076
>>
>> The DC voltages on page 46 were all within the ranges indicated.
>>
>> The output power in tune show P0.1 on all bands except 15M, there it moves up to P0.3 and stops there.  I'll check the RF voltages at all points on all bands tonight after work...
>>
>> 73,
>>
>> Denny
>>

>> On Feb 29, 2012, at 10:17 PM, Don Wilhelm<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>
>>> Denny,
>>>
>>> Tell us more - what band, and what
>>> rf voltage are you reading at the Transmit mixer output (pin 4)  How
>>> about th DC voltages?
>>>
>>> 73.
>>> Don W3FPR

>>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Fwd: K1 Transmitter problem

Dennis Rayfield
Don,

Thanks for the help, I'll do them tonight when I get home.  Given that there are 4 trimmers per band, is there any specific sequence that I follow to adjust them?

73,

Denny - KI3F

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Don Wilhelm <[hidden email]>
> Date: March 1, 2012 8:36:49 AM EST
> To: Dennis Rayfield <[hidden email]>
> Cc: Elecraft email list <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K1 Transmitter problem
>
> Denny,
>
> Adjust the trimmers for maximum power.  If the power goes above 5 watts, bring it down by repeatably tapping the WPM- button or exit TUNE and set the OUT menu to a lower value.
>
> Remember that you are adjusting for a peak - and if the power output goes too high, you will not be able to see the peak of the tuning because the transistors have reached their peak capability.  That is why you need to keep the power low while tuning.
>
> 73,
> Don W3FPR
>
> On 3/1/2012 6:47 AM, Dennis Rayfield wrote:
>> OK, I assumed that tweaking the trimmers on the filter board would just move the power out small bits.  such as if you have the power out set at P2.0, the trimmers would tune between P1.7 and maybe P2.3.  I want in and starting adjusting them, and I get power out now in the right ranges, and fact I can trim them for much higher than what I set the power for.  I'll go back and read the ALC stuff tonight, and make sure I understand it.
>>
>> Should I adjust the trimmers for max output, or to what I set the power out to be with the menu?
>>
>> 73,
>>
>> Denny - KI3F
>>

>> On Mar 1, 2012, at 6:12 AM, Dennis Rayfield<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>
>>> Don,
>>>
>>> Thanks for your questions and helping me work through this.  The RF voltages I'm seeing are (on 30 M) are:
>>>
>>> PRE -   .068
>>> ATTN - .023
>>> OSC -   .014
>>> MIX -    .105
>>> BUF -  1.37
>>> TR1 -    .62
>>> BPF -    .076
>>>
>>> The DC voltages on page 46 were all within the ranges indicated.
>>>
>>> The output power in tune show P0.1 on all bands except 15M, there it moves up to P0.3 and stops there.  I'll check the RF voltages at all points on all bands tonight after work...
>>>
>>> 73,

>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Fwd: K1 Transmitter problem

Don Wilhelm-4
Denny,

Align them first on receive for the strongest signal, and be certain you
are receiving a real signal on the band being aligned - if you do not
have a signal generator, use another transmitter running into a dummy
load and use a wire placed near the dummy load as an antenna for the K1.
  Do the 15 (or 17) meter band first, and then do 20 meters.  Also,
align 30 meters before 40 meters.
Start with the trimmers with the slots parallel to the long side of the
board - the final adjustment should be no more than 20 degrees away from
that center position - if it is more, check the toroids for the correct
number of turns.

Of the 4 trimmers for each band, there is no particular order - just
adjust them for a peak.
If you have an RF Probe or 'scope with a 10X probe, you can align the
pre-mixer bandpass (the two trimmers on the left edge) initially by
looking for the maximum RF voltage on P1 pin 6 during receive, but do a
final "touch up" during TX at 1.5 or 2 watts.