K1 U2 extraction help!

Mike Morrow-3
Gary wrote:

>I installed the RF board U2 backwards ... I'm trying to salvage the IC...

I'm sure you've received enough input now to know that any attempt to
salvage such is extremely ill-advised.  It's possible to damage the RF board
just removing two-lead components.  The same thing applies to those resistor
packs, though fortunately for the K1, all resistor packs used may be installed
in any direction, regardless of directions in the manual.

> Next question, is there any reason not to use sockets in this location
> (or any other Elecraft kit for that matter)?

Alan responded:

>In general, there are two reasons not to use sockets:
>1.  Increased cost.
>2.  Decreased reliability.

There are better reasons, such as space availability, interference with
other components around and above the IC, additional lead length and
capacitive effects in RF circuits, and a few others I'm sure.

What has been left UNaddressed is the use of sockets where not specified
on *Elecraft* gear.  It should be sufficient to say that Elecraft officially
*strongly* discourages such, and "voids warranty" and other repair services
when such "enhancements" have been performed by the builder.  Contact
Wayne for a more accurate statement.  He has posted it to this list on
several occasions over the past ten years as such "improvements" have
been suggested.

Mike / KK5F