K1 and buddistick

Mike Morrow-3
Gary wrote:

>I have a K1 with atu and stand, but not the right antenna.  Anyone have
>experience with the buddistick?  I only use 20 and 40 meters.

I've been experimenting with portable antennas for backpack operations
on camping trips for more than 30 years.  I compare the various types
side by side at the same site.  Result:  The performance differential
between a simple resonant dipole and any of these expensive portable
verticals is typically at least 30 db.  A dipole could be built for 20
and 40 meters for less tahn $10, and outperform these costly vertical
gimmick BS antennas by a factor of 1000 on transmit and receive.

So, in performance and cost differential, portable vertical antennas
really suck compared to a simple and cheap dipole.  They only show:
(1) At many times, contacts can be made no matter how poor the antenna, and
(2) When a lot of money has been spent, owners will sing praises of the
    very worst pieces of crap.  (Just wait for such responses!)

Mike / KK5F