K1 component damage angst

egernet
Assembling my very first major kit, the K1, I'm worried that I
might have damaged two components while putting the front panel
together:

    - C2, blue 82 pF, got a barely visible crack in the blue
varnish 1 mm from the lead while I was trying to straighten the
leads for assembly.

    - Q2, 2N7000. I could not get it within the required 6 mm from
the PCB, and in doing so I ended up touching the leads with my
fingers without the proper anti-static precautions.

It is easy to exchange the components now but later it would be
quite difficult, I imagine, so my questions are:

    - Is it harmful for the blue varnish over the leads of a cap
(not the body proper) to crack? The body of the cap looks okay.

    - How afraid should I be of handing the 2N7000 MOSFET, and how
important is it to get it 6 mm from the PCB?

73, Chris

Re: K1 component damage angst

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ
Administrator
Hi Chris,

I would not worry. Its normal to see a little cracking of the conformal
coating on cap leads when you bend the leads. As long as its not
cracking along the main body of the cap you should be OK.

Also, the 2N7000 is probably OK. 6mm is usually specified to provide
clearance for other boards that may go above it at some point. Its not
super critical, and its OK to bend the leads as needed to get it close
to the board.

73, Eric   WA6HHQ
----

On 3/16/2010 10:12 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Assembling my very first major kit, the K1, I'm worried that I
> might have damaged two components while putting the front panel
> together:
>
>      - C2, blue 82 pF, got a barely visible crack in the blue
> varnish 1 mm from the lead while I was trying to straighten the
> leads for assembly.
>
>      - Q2, 2N7000. I could not get it within the required 6 mm from
> the PCB, and in doing so I ended up touching the leads with my
> fingers without the proper anti-static precautions.
>
> It is easy to exchange the components now but later it would be
> quite difficult, I imagine, so my questions are:
>
>      - Is it harmful for the blue varnish over the leads of a cap
> (not the body proper) to crack? The body of the cap looks okay.
>
>      - How afraid should I be of handing the 2N7000 MOSFET, and how
> important is it to get it 6 mm from the PCB?
>

> 73, Chris

Re: K1 component damage angst

egernet
Dear Bill,

Thanks a lot for the advice. I am much happier now.

> don't worry about the cap, the covering will often crack and even
> break off as you straighten the leads or 'stuff' it on  the
board.

Good to know that there is no reason to worry. I will take your
advice as write down my observations for future reference

> Also, unless you were scuffling around on a wool carpet with silk
> socks just before you picked up the transistor, very doubtful you
> did any damage.

That's good to know. I touched the metal frame of the (wooden) desk
I was working at, and picked the MOSFET up by the black foam.

> they want to ensure clearance above Q2.

I was afraid that it was a very high gain transistor but looking at
the spec sheet, it is a 10 ns switch time part. Following your
suggestion, I will remove the part bend the leads and install it
again.

>HAVE FUN!!!

Hey, thanks Bill!

This was a (rather expensive) gift from my girlfriend and I am
enjoying every bit of it.

73, Chris

Re: K1 component damage angst

egernet
Hi Eric,

>I would not worry.

I'm much relieved and thanks for the quick answer!

Thanks for a fine product.

73, Chris