K1 deaf after KNB1 installation

Mike Morrow-3
Byron wrote:

>My intention today was to re-calibrate the KFL1-4, so I removed the
>KAT1 and moved the RF DET jumper to the K1 side.

Here's just a little bit more information relating to that.

The first sign of the need for re-alignment of a K1 filter board
is a drop in transmitter output power.  A K1 filter circuit can be
misaligned to the point of getting no transmitter output, yet the
resulting drop in apparent receiver sensitivity will not even be
noticed.  K1 filter board adjustment for peak transmitter output is
far far more critical, compared to the adjustments of the same
circuits for good receiver performance.  (Years ago, some K1 builders
tried to align the K1 for maximum receive performance using Spectrogram,
thinking that would produce the optimal settings for the same circuits
in transmit mode.  They were very wrong!)

If your K1 was still putting out reasonable power on transmit (even
though the receiver was deaf), that was iron-clad proof that your
K1 filter board did *not* need re-alignment.

Mike / KK5F