K1 enthusiast wonders ??

James Duffey
Let me present a dissenting point of view on the K1. I am the fourth owner
of K-1 SN0004 with a 40/20 M module. I have had it for 2 years. I have found
that the more I use it the less I like it.

I find the K1 both too much radio and too little radio at the same time.

I use it primarily for portable operation. As I don't use it all the time in
the shack, I find that I need the reference card to recall all of the
functions when I use it in the field. Being menu driven and with many of the
switches having several functions I often make mistakes.  The code speed
goes up  when I try to change filter settings for example. I don't need all
of those functions in a portable contest radio, and I think that cramming
them all into a small radio significantly detracts from the ability to
seamless operate the radio. Thus, the radio is too much.

But, there are significant performance compromises made. There is no RF
gain. The NE602 front end mixer has problems in crowded band conditions.
These two issues are exasperated by the fact that the AGC cannot be turned
off without going into the menus. The filter has a pretty poor shape factor,
with a very gentle roll off on the high side. The fact that the filter is
adjustable means that optimum peformance is not possible at any bandwidth.
The built in keyer requires 2 key strokes to send what is in memory, a big
delay in contests.

I bought the K-1 to replace an aging OHR Classic, also a 20 M and 40 M rig.
I find myself returning to the OHR more and more. It is a simple receiver
with no bells and whistles. But it uses a crunch proof diode balanced mixer
in the front end that runs circles around the K1's NE602. After a few hours
with the K-1 on 40 M for Field Day, we switched to the OHR and were much
happier with its performance. As the OHR does not have an RF Gain control
and the AGC is not switchable, the preference for the OHR is likely due to
the higher performing front end and better IF filter. We eventually replaced
the OHR with a K2 when the 15 M station QRTed at dark. It was preferable to
both the K1 and the OHR.

There are some nice features of the K1. The tilt stand is very nice in
getting the rig off the table and at eye level, a common problem with QRP
rigs. The provision for repetitive CQing is nice on sparsely populated bands
during contests. I like the provision to monitor the battery voltage.  The
audio is generous and much better than the K2. The rig has generous power
output and 5 watts is possible on all bands. The built in power meter is
nice to have.

I must admit that many of these opinions may be colored by a feeling of
betrayal by the K1. It is the only rig to have failed me in the field. At
the start of Field Day it failed to work on 40 M. 20 M was fine. After
opening the rig, removing the filter board, inspecting it to find nothing
obviously wrong, cleaning it, and reseating it; it again worked OK. Don't
know what the problem was, but it left me with less confidence in the K1
than I had before. I don't need that kind of stress prior to a major
operating event.

I have often thought of upgrading with a 4 band module and the built in
tuner. I believe that would also require a firmware upgrade in a rig as old
as mine. The total for these upgrades is about 90% of what I paid for the
rig, and I question if putting that much money into a rig I am not real
happy with is worth it to me. But it does point out the fact that adding
options quickly raises the price of an Elecraft rig.

Having said all that, I realize that rig preference is a personal thing.
Most are happy with their K1s. The K1 does not really fit what I am looking
for in a portable rig for contesting. The more I use it, the more these
shortcomings are apparent to me. I have decided that performance is more
important to me than the bells and whistles of the K1.

I respect the opinions of those who love their K1s and this is not meant to
denigrate them. I just am not one of them. - Dr. Megacycle KK6MC/5

Re: K1 enthusiast wonders ??

Mike Morrow-3
James wrote:

>... I am the fourth owner of K-1 SN0004 with a 40/20 M module.
>I have had it for 2 years. I have found that the more I use it the less
>I like it.

I've had K1 SN 175 for almost four years (original owner).  I've found it to be the best portable QRP rig, by large margin, of the nine that I've owned over the past 10 years.

>I use it primarily for portable operation. As I don't use it all the time in
>the shack, I find that I need the reference card to recall all of the
>functions when I use it in the field.

It's pretty straightforward...one just has to use it a little.  But don't use the K1 Quick Reference Card that's on the Elecraft site.  It still has several errors that were pointed out more than two years ago.

>... there are significant performance compromises made. There is no
>RF gain...

Few portable rigs have an RF gain control.  At least the K1 has a one-step attenuator, which BTW I've never needed to use.

>The NE602 front end mixer has problems in crowded band conditions.

I haven't found this to be a problem, especially when using a dipole out in the woods.  I don't have any high performance antennas at the home QTH, though, which might have made this shortcoming more apparent.

>These two issues are exasperated by the fact that the AGC cannot
>be turned off without going into the menus. The filter has a pretty
>poor shape factor, with a very gentle roll off on the high side. The
>fact that the filter is adjustable means that optimum peformance is
>not possible at any bandwidth.
>
>The built in keyer requires 2 key strokes to send what is in memory,
>a big delay in contests.

Perhaps the expectations are too high for a simple portable QRP rig.  Would one really choose a K1 or KX1 or any other simple 602 front-end receiver if one is a serious contestor?

>I find myself returning to the OHR more and more. It is a simple
>receiver with no bells and whistles. But it uses a crunch proof diode
>balanced mixer in the front end that runs circles around the K1's NE602.

What is the OHR receive power consumption?  I suspect that it is close to the 150 mA of the NC20.  The K1's 60 mA receive current draw, so low because of the 602 design, is most welcome for portable operation.

>There are some nice features of the K1. The tilt stand is very nice
>in getting the rig off the table and at eye level...

For me, that's the accessory I like the least, followed closely by the KBT1.  The KTS1 is complicated and bulky when all I need and want is a simple bail to lift the front panel a bit.

>I must admit that many of these opinions may be colored by a feeling
>of betrayal by the K1. It is the only rig to have failed me in the field.
>...I don't need that kind of stress prior to a major operating event.

That's always a potential problem with a kit rig, especially one built by someone else and passed through several hands.  If the K1 had been available as a *factory built* rig, I'd have preferred that option.  I don't have any love affair with the monotonous chores of kit building.

I'm not a contestor or a DXer, though I do sometimes use such events to quickly test a rig or antenna.  No stress here from my ham radio hobby interests!

I take my K1 everywhere I travel, whether on business or vacation.  The only "failures" I've ever had were (1) Alignment drift in the original trimmer caps of my early four-band filter board (corrected years ago with new caps), and (2) Scratchy AF gain pot that required replacement.

>I have often thought of upgrading with a 4 band module and the built
>in tuner.

I found that going to a 40/30/20/15m board, and re-building my old two-band board for 80/17m, more than double the utility and joy of using my K1.  The KFL1-4 is highly recommended!

The KAT1 likewise is a tremendous add-on to the capability of the K1.  The firmware on the KAT1 was upgraded a while back to version 1.3.

>I believe that would also require a firmware upgrade in a rig as old
>as mine.

You'll need version 1.09 firmware for the K1 MCU.  There's a description in the manual download section of the Elecraft site that describes some of its enhanced features, aside from ATU support, compared to the earlier version 1.06 firmware.  I don't know what the policy is now, but when I bought my KAT1 the K1 firmware upgrade came with it at no additional charge.

>The total for these upgrades is about 90% of what I paid for the
>rig, and I question if putting that much money into a rig I am not real
>happy with is worth it to me.

I didn't reach "K1 Nirvana" until *after* I did those very same upgrades.

I also bought the KNB1 noise blanker, but I've not found it effective on most of the noise I've come across.

>But it does point out the fact that adding options quickly raises
>the price of an Elecraft rig.

Very true words indeed!

>Having said all that, I realize that rig preference is a personal thing.
>Most are happy with their K1s. The K1 does not really fit what I am
>looking for in a portable rig for contesting.

Most of the list discussions on K1 performance have served to contrast it to the KX1.  I can see how the K1 or any other 602 receiver would come up short against higher performance front ends.  In fact, even my ancient and mediocre Kenwood TS-50S has a receiver is much better than that in the K1.  I suspect the KX1 would be even less satisfactory in the performance areas that are important to a contestor.  But when operating (K1 or KX1) in the boonies with a modest antenna, virtually none of these problems are apparent, and the low power consumption is a great trade-off.

In short, I know of no other QRP rig made that has the features I need for portable ops served as well as found in the K1.  I bought the K1, even though it was a kit, because there was (and is) no equivalent rig available anywhere else.

73,
Mike / KK5F

Re: K1 enthusiast wonders ??

Michael Babineau
Mike Morrow <[hidden email]>

 >I had the KBT1 installed for 18 months before permanently removing it.
  I like the larger original speaker much better than the >micro speaker
of the KBT1, and I don't like having potential chemical leakage sources
inside the K1 case.  It's also awkward to >recharge the KBT1 pack.

Mike :

I also have a K1 and the KBT1 is the only option I don't have. I did
purchase it and build it but didn't
install it for basically the same reasons that you removed yours. I
ended up selling it eventually.

Based on my experiences with the KX1 and Lithium AA cells, I think if I
was to consider the KBT1 option
again I would put non-rechargable Lithium cells in the K1 and run the
Rig at 3W.  Current draw should
be similar to the KX1 so that would give about 20 or so hours of
operating which is pretty good.
The problem with the KBT1 and rechargables is that NIMH cells don't
hold a full charge very long
so one has to open the rig up remove, recharge and reinstall the
batteries prior to each outing which
isn't too convenient.

With my KX1 I most often power it externally with a 10 AA Nimh pack but
it is nice to have the internal
cells at times and with Lithium cells the shelf life of the batteries
is very long ... very handy if you
forget to bring the external NiMH pack along, which I have done on
occasion.

Michael VE3WMB

P.S. I love my KX1 but my K1 stills gets used. I decided to go with the
K1 for Field Day mainly because of the
extra output power and slightly more robust receiver and I wasn't
disappointed with how it performed.
If I could only have one QRP CW rig for home and field use it would be
a K1.

Re: K1 enthusiast wonders ??

Sandy W5TVW
I got my K1 originally with the KBT1 option.  I too didn't like having to hasstle
with changing batteries/removing to recharge.  The worst thing was the
smaller speaker.  My old ears needed more oomph!  I sold it off too
very soon after I installed it.

I have had very good results with the Ni-MH batteries.  Mine don't seem to
self discharge near as fast as the old Ni-Cads did.  Ni-Cads were the "pits"
as a cell frequently would go down and spoil the whole pack.  I use
mostly 1.5 and 2 A/H Ni-MH batteries in a 10 cell external holder.

73,
Sandy W5TVW
|  >I had the KBT1 installed for 18 months before permanently removing it.
|   I like the larger original speaker much better than the >micro speaker
| of the KBT1, and I don't like having potential chemical leakage sources
| inside the K1 case.  It's also awkward to >recharge the KBT1 pack.
|
| Mike :
|
| I also have a K1 and the KBT1 is the only option I don't have. I did
| purchase it and build it but didn't
| install it for basically the same reasons that you removed yours. I
| ended up selling it eventually.
|
| Based on my experiences with the KX1 and Lithium AA cells, I think if I
| was to consider the KBT1 option
| again I would put non-rechargable Lithium cells in the K1 and run the
| Rig at 3W.  Current draw should
| be similar to the KX1 so that would give about 20 or so hours of
| operating which is pretty good.
| The problem with the KBT1 and rechargables is that NIMH cells don't
| hold a full charge very long
| so one has to open the rig up remove, recharge and reinstall the
| batteries prior to each outing which
| isn't too convenient.
|
| With my KX1 I most often power it externally with a 10 AA Nimh pack but
| it is nice to have the internal
| cells at times and with Lithium cells the shelf life of the batteries
| is very long ... very handy if you
| forget to bring the external NiMH pack along, which I have done on
| occasion.
|
| Michael VE3WMB
|
| P.S. I love my KX1 but my K1 stills gets used. I decided to go with the
| K1 for Field Day mainly because of the
| extra output power and slightly more robust receiver and I wasn't
| disappointed with how it performed.
| If I could only have one QRP CW rig for home and field use it would be
| a K1.

Re: K1 enthusiast wonders ??

Scott Richardson-4
Mike noted (among other things):
> the K1 Quick Reference Card ... still has several errors that were pointed
out more than two years ago.

I also ran into a critical area where K1 web info was well behind the times
(though the reference was updated when I pointed it out).

I took this (correctly or not) as an indication of Elecraft inattention to
continued refinement and development of the K1. I'd like to be wrong, but I
think the K1 heydey is past. That's understandable, because Elecraft is busy
with other interesting and exciting work revolving around the
bread-and-butter rig... and maybe busy with some fascinating new projects.
The mod world is pretty quiet, too. The K1 zenith appears to have passed.
This reflector is just reflecting K1 senescence. (Again, "I'd like to be
wrong.")

Incidentally, I also consider the 4-band board and antenna tuner to be
essential K1 accessories. Because I have them, I wrongly assume that
everyone has "upgraded." At this stage, I would be much less enthusiastic
about a 2-band K1 sans tuner. I don't think that such a "standard" can
compete with the KX1.

Scott N1AIA

Re: K1 enthusiast wonders ??

Stuart Rohre
Actually, many manufacturers with multiple but similar models, often have
lapses of keeping everything updated.  Things get busy with more than one
product to sell, accessories and parts to sell, and keeping up with parts
inventory for different designs.  Not to mention, current production orders
to tend!

Even in R&D, we get confused after a year, if one or another prototype
incorporated this or that feature, or got completely written up in a report.

And after 28 years, as we recently had to do, finding information on
something in our own files is
a REAL project!  Thus, it may not be intentional, just stuff falls thru the
cracks---
72,
Stuart
K5KVH

Re: K1 enthusiast wonders ??

Mike Morrow-3
Scott Richardson wrote

>... The K1 zenith appears to have passed.

Hi Scott,

I don't think this is the case.  The K1 was an amazingly mature product when it first appeared in Fall 2000.  By this I mean that it performed its intended functions well and had very few bugs.  Rigs with problems get the most discussion and modifications and backfits.

>... I also consider the 4-band board and antenna tuner to be
>essential K1 accessories.

I do too.  In particular, I can't imagine why anyone would order a two-band K1.  There is still a place for the two-band filter boards, however.  Build a 40/30/20/15m four-band K1, and then add a 80/17m two-band board to give you all six official K1 bands.

>At this stage, I would be much less enthusiastic about a 2-band K1
>sans tuner. I don't think that such "standard" can compete with the KX1.

To be fair, the KX1 *must* be contrasted to a four-band K1.  As I went to some length to detail in a posting several days ago, the K1's performance as a CW ham band only radio is better than that of the KX1 in a significant number of areas.  The KX1 is, however, a good radio and is cuter than the K1 to some, for what that's worth.

As far as Elecraft's support of the K1 is concerned, the only HF bands not supported are 160 meters (ok, that's MF), and 12 and 10 meters.  I suspect only a few are interested in 160m QRP, and fewer of those are likely to be trying it from portable locations.  I also suspect that the performance of a 602-based receiver such as in the K1 on 12 and 10 meters would be less than stellar, though I could be wrong.  With the declining sunspot cycle, the matter grows academic for the time being.

I'm left wondering what other support Elecraft could show for the K1.  I can only think of a few minor items:

(1)  Update the K1 manual to eliminate the last few errors that are contained in the last revision of almost three years ago.  One error in particular results in help requests to this list, even though all are covered in the errata sheet.
(2)  Correct the Elecraft website's K1 quick reference guide to eliminate the erroneous info shown for the NB and INP functions that have been there for almost three years.
(3)  Update the KBT1 and K1 RF-PCB design so that the KBT1 can be removed by disconnecting from a connector on the RF-PCB.
(4)  Provide a simple permanently mounted front panel lifting bail in lieu of the complex KTS1.
(5)  Provide LCD display backlight.
(6)  Provide any components required for 80m operation that aren't installed on a 80m filter board as standard parts for all K1s (such as RF-RFC8 and RF-C78).
(7)  Provide PCB circuit trace diagrams in the manual.

I'm not interested in power amps, SSB mods, transverters, etc., even if they were practical for the K1.  For that there's the K2.

In my opinion, overall the K1 is still the best small QRP CW portable rig made by anyone.

73,
Mike / KK5F
K1 no. 175