[K1, not K3] Toroid Problem and Other Comments

[K1, not K3] Toroid Problem and Other Comments

Mike Morrow-3
Guido wrote:

> ...it turned out that wrong toroid was supplied for T4 with the kit.
> ...At Elecraft they are aware of this.

One would have thought that Elecraft should have issued a notice about
a problem such as this which can cause real damage and waste great effort
for troubleshooting if 80m use is attempted.  At the very least it would
be a "sleeper" problem silently reducing K1 efficiency on higher bands.
(Disappointing.)

I notice that after eight years a new revision of the K1 manual has been
published...with the same incorrect info on the quick reference quide
for the noise blanker that was noted on this list a decade ago!
(Disappointing.)

> Hope this will help you and maybe others out of the problems.

Yours is an excellent post.  If my K1 had been subject to this problem,
I'd have been most appreciative.  Nine years ago I had a noise generation
problem that was due to lack of RF bypassing in the noise blanker.  I had
to find out about the solution from a list member, for whom Elecraft had
provided the solution.

But enough...I've owned K1 #175 for ten years (waited five months for
delivery) and it's still the finest QRP rig that I've ever owned.  If I
were in the market for another multi-band portable QRP rig, I'd have
an order in for another K1.  I prefer it (greatly) over the KX1 for a
portable backpack rig.

Even the KNB1 noise blanker, which for years I had a very lukewarm
assessment, has turned out to be wonderfully effective on some sort of
"digital hum" that affects 20m and 15m locally, as long as I use the
HIGH threshold setting. (LO threshold setting introduces too much IMD
and further reduces dynamic range.)

I also like the capability of selecting iambic mode A or B on the K1.
Most Japanese rigs do not allow selection of mode A, which is easier
to use than mode B and just as fast.  I'd have bought an ICOM 7000
years ago for mobile use, but ICOM designers are too stupid to figure out
how to provide such simple but essential capability in a $1500 radio.
Outfits like Jackson Harbor can design and sell a PIC that provides
that capability in a DSW mono-band QRP kit...for $7!

One more comment...the K1 LCD backlight.  This is an excellent, even
an essential, addition to the K1.  But I found it damnably aggravating
to install on an already assembled K1.  The backlight SHOULD be a
standard feature of the K1 because of the difficulty of backfit if
it is desired later.  If one orders a new K1 without backlight, a big
mistake is being made!

Mike / KK5F