K1 on USB CW

Allen Ward-2
Both the Central Electronics 10B and 20A  generated EITHER USB and LSB at  9 MHz.  I owned one each of these rigs.  Mixed with 5 MHz (or various multiples thereof) one could operate from 80 to 10 meters.  You selected the sideband by flipping a switch on the CE unit.  The best part was the magic eye on the 20A which was used to indicate the suppression of the carrier and output tuning.  Folks tend to forget what great sounding CW came out of these "QRP" rigs and the amazement of working someone with 5-10 watts.
Allen KA5N
You must subscribe to post.
Subscriber Info (Addr. Change, Unsub etc): http://mailman.qth.net/subscribers.htm
Elecraft page: http://www.elecraft.com

RE: K1 on USB CW

Ron D'Eau Claire-2
It took people a long time to catch on to the difference in power levels. I
had a Viking Ranger back then. On AM phone it ran 65 watts by the common
measurement of the day. That was d-c "input" to the final tube, of course.
At a typical efficiency of 75% that provided 49 watts output. 2/3 of that
power, or 32 watts, was in the carrier when the signal was 100% modulated,
leaving 17 watts divided between both sidebands, 8.5 watts per band. So my
"65-watt" Ranger was equivalent to an SSB rig producing 8 or 9 watts output.

"Worked the world" with that Ranger on AM "phone" as well as CW. And it was
a whole lot bigger than my K2. And then there was my HRO-5 receiver which
was as big as the Ranger <G>.

Ron AC7AC

Both the Central Electronics 10B and 20A  generated EITHER USB and LSB at  9
MHz.  I owned one each of these rigs.  Mixed with 5 MHz (or various
multiples thereof) one could operate from 80 to 10 meters.  You selected the
sideband by flipping a switch on the CE unit.  The best part was the magic
eye on the 20A which was used to indicate the suppression of the carrier and
output tuning.  Folks tend to forget what great sounding CW came out of
these "QRP" rigs and the amazement of working someone with 5-10 watts. Allen
KA5N _______________________________________________

You must subscribe to post.
Subscriber Info (Addr. Change, Unsub etc): http://mailman.qth.net/subscribers.htm
Elecraft page: http://www.elecraft.com

Re: K1 on USB CW

Thom LaCosta
On Fri, 18 Jun 2004, Allen Ward wrote:

> Both the Central Electronics 10B and 20A  generated EITHER USB and LSB at  9 MHz.
> I owned one each of these rigs.  Mixed with 5 MHz (or various multiples
> thereof) one could operate from 80 to 10 meters.  You selected the sideband by
>flipping a switch on the CE unit.  The best part was the magic eye on the 20A
> which was used to indicate the suppression of the carrier and output tuning.
>Folks tend to forget what great sounding CW came out of these "QRP" rigs and
>the amazement of working someone with 5-10 watts.

What's really amazing is that there are so many folks who NEVER were around
then, who NEVER operated SSB at the beginning and NEVER had the very common
Central Electronics 10 or 20 rigs that can tell all of us who were there that
it's impossible to operate the way that we did.

I guess I am getting senile....it must have been impossible that many times
I forgot to "flip the sideband switch" when moving off of 75 meters and being on
the wrong sideband.

I do recall, however, having lots of fun working to have the most carrier
suppression I could get, and the most stabile VFO....and then setting up round
tables on 75 where some of us were on LSB and the others were on USB on the
same frequency....

Thom

http://www.baltimorehon.com/            Home of the Baltimore Lexicon
http://www.tlchost.net/              Web Hosting as low as 3.49/month