K1 receive problems

Michael Moody
Hi all,

New builder here having troubles with no receive during alignment of
the receive section. Here are the details:

-K1 #869
-RF board rev. D
-2 band filter board with 40m and 30m installed
-wide tuning range chosen
-no tuner (I have the board built but it is not installed) Jumper
between pin 2 and 10 on RF board is in place
-resistance checks on the filter, front panel, and RF boards check out
-voltage checks on the RF board check out

When going through testing and alignment, everything is good up until
receive. I can hear background hiss, and a faint but noticeable random
data sound. The background hiss and data sound do not change at all
when rotating the VFO knob. When I increase or decrease the RF gain,
the background hiss and data noise also increase or decrease.

-all LED's, the display, menus, VFO, and RF gain knob all appear to be
working as they should.

I have tried searching the reflector archive with no results.

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Mike
KD0MEQ

Re: K1 receive problems

Don Wilhelm-4
Mike,

Assuming that all components are the correct value and are well soldered
(worthy of a double check), then ---
The most likely problem is that the Pre-Mixer bandpass filter is not
tuned to the correct frequency.

Do you have a signal generator capable of producing a signal on 40 and
20 meters - Another transceiver working into a dummy load and a piece of
wire on the K1 for an antenna placed near that dummy load should produce
a good signal into the K1.

Do you have a 'scope or an RF Probe?  If so, you can tune the Pre-Mixer
bandpass filter using that to observe the output at  P1 pin 6 on the 2
band board.  Tune the inductors for maximum voltage.