K1 won't transmit on band 2

HB9DSU
Hello list,

I have happily finished the building of my 2 band (30/20) K1. Everything
works fine, except that the TX won't work on band 2. I am not even able to
set power output past 0.1. I have checked and re-checked for obvious
culprits, but couldn't find any.

Grateful for any wisdom on where to look further.

73 Pete

Re: K1 won't transmit on band 2

Don Wilhelm-4
Pete,

Can you receive a signal that is known to be on 20 meters?
That is an important first step.  It is possible to mis-tune the
Pre-Mixer bandpass filter so that the K1 can receive signals, but they
may not be in the 20 meter band.
If that happens, then the transmit signal will not get through the Low
Pass Filter which has a cutoff frequency just above the 20 meter band.

If you have another transmitter capable of producing a 20 meter signal,
feed it into a dummy load and put a "hunk of wire" antenna on the K1 and
place that antenna near the dummy load to pick up the signal.

On 10/12/2011 4:58 PM, Pete Parisetti wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> I have happily finished the building of my 2 band (30/20) K1. Everything
> works fine, except that the TX won't work on band 2. I am not even able to
> set power output past 0.1. I have checked and re-checked for obvious
> culprits, but couldn't find any.
>
> Grateful for any wisdom on where to look further.
>
> 73 Pete

Re: K1 won't transmit on band 2

HB9DSU
Thank you very much for the response, Don.

Yes - the RX actually receives on 20 metres.

Pete

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 12:39 AM, Don Wilhelm <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Pete,
>
> Can you receive a signal that is known to be on 20 meters?
> That is an important first step.  It is possible to mis-tune the
> Pre-Mixer bandpass filter so that the K1 can receive signals, but they
> may not be in the 20 meter band.
> If that happens, then the transmit signal will not get through the Low
> Pass Filter which has a cutoff frequency just above the 20 meter band.
>
> If you have another transmitter capable of producing a 20 meter signal,
> feed it into a dummy load and put a "hunk of wire" antenna on the K1 and
> place that antenna near the dummy load to pick up the signal.
>
> 73,
> Don W3FPR
>
> On 10/12/2011 4:58 PM, Pete Parisetti wrote:
> > Hello list,
> >
> > I have happily finished the building of my 2 band (30/20) K1. Everything
> > works fine, except that the TX won't work on band 2. I am not even able
> > set power output past 0.1. I have checked and re-checked for obvious
> > culprits, but couldn't find any.
> >
> > Grateful for any wisdom on where to look further.
> >
> > 73 Pete

Re: K1 won't transmit on band 2

Don Wilhelm-4
Pete,

If that is the case, I suggest you go to the Troubleshooting appendix of
the manual and do the steps indicated in the Transmit Signal Tracing
section to tell you which stage is giving the problem.