K2/100 - FL2100

Stewart Baker
Has anyone on the reflector experience/hints of connecting and using a FL2100
linear with a K2/100 ?

Many T.I.A

Stewart G3RXQ

Re: K2/100 - FL2100

Don Nesbitt
Hello Stewart - I did this quite a long time ago and as I recall the FL-2100
presented a negative voltage on the keying line (hummmm - almost 100% sure
about this but you can easily check with a VOM or DMM) and so I couldn't use
the solid state switch built into the KPA100 as it will only switch positive
voltages and had to use an external reed relay to trip the relay keying
circuit to ground.

Actually using the amp with the K2/100 was straightforward and worked quite
well - as long as you keep the K2/100 away from the magnetic field of the
power xfmer of the amp.  The power xfrmer is located on the left rear of the
FL-2100 so put the K2/100 to the right of the amplifier with a little
separation between them.  In my case, I had a small laptop computer in the
center with the amp to the left and the K2/100 to the right and that worked
just fine.  I particularly liked the fact that the FL-2100 had the SWR
bridge built in and in the forward position, that made it very easy to tune
up.  Had the amp for many years and the 572B's were still going strong (700
to 800 watts output) when I passed it along to someone else.  Frankly, I
wish I still had it - nice small size, very docile, quiet and reliable.
Have fun.  73  --don n4hh K2/100 #2028