K2/100 RS-232 problem

Michael Pfeuffer-2
Hi all,

I've got a K2/100 that was damaged a while back in a close lightning
strike.  Sparky came in via the phone lines, traversed my modem & into a
multi-port RS-232 controller.  It took out several RS-232 devices,
including the serial port on the K2.  All other K2 functions have been
working fine since then.

I am getting data out of the K2, but it is not responding to commands
from the PC.  I found that that U4 ( the MAX1406 ) on the KPA100 board
was bad, and replaced it.  I was then seeing data on the RXD pin of the
MCU, but it still wouldn't respond to PC commands.  I have now replaced
the MCU, assuming that the RXD input was bad.  Alas, still no joy.

I've been pouring over control board schematic, but am not sure where to
proceed.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,
--Mike  WQ5C

Re: K2/100 RS-232 problem

Don Wilhelm-4
Mike,

Check the secondary menu to be certain the PORT parameter is ON.
Since you have signals on the RXD input of the MCU,

What software application are you using to test the K2 interface?  Any
chance there is a problem with that software?

What is the health of the serial port on the computer.  If you are using
a USB to serial adapter, be aware that some of them do not work well
with the slower data rate of the K2.  Use a real serial port if possible.