K2/100 with Alpha 99

Unifiedtx
Is it possible to key the K2/100 for CW QSK operation with the Alpha  99.  If
so, how should the delay be set in the K2.  I would  rather key the K2 first
rather than keying the Alpha 99 and running the keying  line back to the K2.
Roy Morris  W4WFB

However if you get a QSK amp, like some of the Alpha's  or TenTec's, you can
retain the degree of QSK that the K2 or K2/100 is able to  provide.

Re: K2/100 with Alpha 99

Vic K2VCO
[hidden email] wrote:

> Is it possible to key the K2/100 for CW QSK operation with the Alpha  99.  If
> so, how should the delay be set in the K2.  I would  rather key the K2 first
> rather than keying the Alpha 99 and running the keying  line back to the K2.

Roy,

I'm keying an Alpha 86 with my K2.  Obviously it's not the same, but it's
similar.  There is enough time between the activation of the K2's amp keying
circuit (which is all solid-state and follows the 8r line) and the appearance of
RF to allow me to key the Alpha from the K2 with no problems.  Actually, the
only thing that seems different to me when running the Alpha at 1.5 KW output is
that various things (resistors in my alarm system, traps in my LF antenna, my
DSL router) tend to explode in the latter case.

Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco

Re: K2/100 with Alpha 99

Tom Hammond-3
Roy:

At 07:12 PM 1/6/05, you wrote:
>Is it possible to key the K2/100 for CW QSK operation with the Alpha  99.  If
>so, how should the delay be set in the K2.  I would  rather key the K2 first
>rather than keying the Alpha 99 and running the keying  line back to the K2.
>Roy Morris  W4WFB
>
>However if you get a QSK amp, like some of the Alpha's  or TenTec's, you can
>retain the degree of QSK that the K2 or K2/100 is able to  provide.

Sure.

Just key the K2/100 and take the AMP T-R output from the back and connect
it directly to the T-R input of the QSK amp.

I have an Alpha 76PA in which I installed retrofitted ETO QSK, and I've
keyed it in this manner since day-one which no problems whatsoever.

It is best to NOT key the amp and allow it to key the K2/100. Although
that's how ETO used to want you to do it with their Alpha 78, I never found
it to work correctly. However, using the newer QSK rigs, which offer a few
mS of pre-keying of the T-R line before RF is generated, keying the rig and
allowing IT to key the amp works just great.

73,

Tom   N0SS