K2 # 4498 - Electrostatic protection

F5UL
I'm in a very stormy country (Northern Alps) and we have at least once per month a thunderstorm that already cost me one pair of power Xstors (in my TS-130 - $380!!!) so even with $5 each TO220 part, I did not want to loose them, or at least reduce the chance to loose them.

So I instaled on the KAT2 control board an RF Chock (1 mH) and an NE2 neon bulb wired between K18-pin 3/8 and ground just to establish a direct lway to ground for static electricity (via the chock) and in case of a virulent one turn on the NE2 and establish a full short to ground.

Up to now I did not constat any loss of performance, either in transmission or reception and not changes in the KAT2 function.
So...

73 to all and also a very heavy thank to all on the list, even if I do not use the information, it is a nice place to wander (hi!)

F5UL/Robert

Re: K2 # 4498 - Electrostatic protection

G3VVT

In a message dated 21/01/05 16:18:13 GMT Standard Time, [hidden email]
writes:

I'm in a  very stormy country (Northern Alps) and we have at least once per
month a  thunderstorm that already cost me one pair of power Xstors (in my
TS-130 -  $380!!!) so even with $5 each TO220 part, I did not want to loose them,
or at  least reduce the chance to loose them.

So I instaled on the KAT2  control board an RF Chock (1 mH) and an NE2 neon
bulb wired between K18-pin  3/8 and ground just to establish a direct lway to
ground for static  electricity (via the chock) and in case of a virulent one
turn on the NE2 and  establish a full short to ground.

-

Hi Robert,

It is normal practise to install an RF choke directly across the antenna
socket of tube (valve) PA to protect in case of a failure of the coupling
capacitors from the tube anode.

2.5kV can be very damaging to your health!

Suppose these have ceased to be used since the move to solid state PA's.
>From memory 2.5mH was the normal value used in the last one I built in the
1960's. The addition of a neon to hold off the path until the neon strikes  should
not represent any problem though am not entirely sure that it is  necessary
not knowing the KAT2 circuitry.

In professional communication terminal equipment that is connected to
external lines the inclusion of gas or carbon arresters is a standard feature at
the point where the external line is connected. In addition all of our telecom
distibution frames and even the distibution pedestals had arresters built in
as  standard. The protection operation point was selected to be higher than the
 normal operating voltages on the line. A QRP K2 is listed as providing 70 to
80V  across 50 ohms and the normal striking voltage of a neon is about 110V,
so the  neon should not strike. There are however some neons on the market
that strike  at a lower voltage somewhere in the 60V region and to our cost we
found these  put a S/C across the phone line when ringing voltage and normal
telephone  battery were present. These would also operate when the K2 was giving
normal PA  O/P.

Probably the choke on it's own would be entirely sufficient to provide the
protection needed as long as the component was able to handle the current
required.

Bob, G3VVT
K2 #4168