K2 #4595 Progress

N0EHQ
Happy Holidays Everyone,

While waiting for another inductor from Elecraft to hopefully increase the PLL reference oscillator range , I decided to go ahead and align the receive on 40 meters. In no time I was hearing CW out of the phones. So with that I decided the receiver must be working and finished the transmitter build.

All was going well until I became somewhat dylexic and put a 47pf in C42 rather than C24. At that time my solder popper decided to break down (broken spring retainer on the plunger) after just a few uses. So in the attempt to remove the cap using some solder wick I managed to overheat the cap and inadvertently destroyed it. So now I have a missing 47 pf cap at C203 that I'll have to order from Elecraft tomorrow.

So I says to myself, C203 shouldn't bother the 40 meter transmitter alignment. It goes without saying that I was pleased the alignment went well with an acceptable output.The current draw is in the "green" at 5 watts as indicated in the manual. I do get a brief Hi Cur message with the power setting at the full clockwise position with 14.5 watts out. At about the 3 o'clock position I have 14.0 watts out and no Hi Cur message.

While I'm waiting for parts I will assemble the ATU, SSB and DSP modules and have them ready for installation after the alignment of the basic K2 has been completed.

Sorry for the ramble,

73, Ed N0EHQ