K2 A/B receiver test

Don Baucom
Last night I was listening to the K2 upstairs with a end fed ParZ ant. hung out the 2nd story into a nearby tree. I decided to do a A/B test with the Yaesu FT-450D. The K2 had a much lower noise floor and sounded better on SSB. The S meters were about the same with the K2 being about 1/2 unit higher on most sigs. ( I know that does not tell me much) On CW I could hear all the signals on the FT-450D that I heard on the K2 but the noise was higher on the FT-450D. I looked for a weak signal that I could only hear on the K2 but ran out of time. Im not sure where the 450D stands as far as receiver performance? My question to the group is does this seem about right, or should my K2 be blowing the 450D  out of the water.

73
Don
K4YND

Re: K2 A/B receiver test

Rick Stealey

Don,
I don't think your A/B test tells you much of anything.
What were you expecting, that the K2 was more sensitive?
What do you mean when you say " but the noise was higher on the FT-450D."
We see these kinds of reports all the time from hams (that a particular
receiver is "quieter" than another).

Rick  K2XT

Re: K2 A/B receiver test

Don Baucom
Good point. I guess I am looking for assurance that my K2 receiver is preforming about how it should with my limited kit experience.
I figure if it hears as well or better than the FT-450D,then I have it aligned pretty well.

Thanks
Don

Re: K2 A/B receiver test

Rick Stealey

> I figure if it hears as well or better than the FT-450D,then I have it
> aligned pretty well.

I think most K2 owners would agree that the performance of the K2 is defined
more by what it DOESN'T hear than what it does! (IMD, crud, splatter, crossmod).

Rick  K2XT