K2: Adjusting CW filter for SSB reception

K2: Adjusting CW filter for SSB reception

Michael J. Linden
  I'm using Tom Hammond's latest Spectrogram document for aligning the
CW filters for SSB reception (I have the SSB module, but I've got a few
things to build before I get around to it). I've selected the Elecraft
recommended bandwidths (2.2, 2.0, 1.8, and 1.6 kHz) for SSB reception. I
find that at 2.2 and 2.0 kHz (LSB for example), the right (high
frequency) side of the trace kind of continues (does not come back down
to the base line) even when the left (low frequency) side of the trace
is brought down around 300 Hz. At 1.8 and 1.6 kHz, the right (high
frequency) side of the trace comes down to the base line as I would
expect.

  As Tom Hammond's 2.4 kHz and 2.1 kHz traces also seem to show this
phenomenon to a degree, I assume it is normal (it is just a bit more
pronounced in my traces). It appears that, at least on LSB, the CW
filter's upper skirt becomes somewhat less well defined at wider
bandwidths. Is this the case?

  Just curious, Michael N9BDF, K2 #4137