K2 Assembly problems/Info 080 Message

Tom Fuller
Hello, I am assembling my Elecraft K2 Radio (serial # 7421) , I made it up to page 43 of the manual, earlier today I was able to get the info 201 to show on display as on page 43 and frequencies showed ok/bands changed on display ok also but with info 080 message shown , the tuning dial did not seem to be working too well...In order to troubleshoot it, I began to re-solder all the connections but now the frequencies don't display anymore-just some garbled numbers show and also I am still getting an error 080 message/low battery message  and I noticed the part U1 on the RF board is hot to touch. I have gone thru the troubleshooting steps but don't want to go past page 44 steps because I want to get the frequency display to work again and removed the info 080 message before I move on... does anyone have any additional troubleshooting steps?

thanks and 73,

KE4QCM
Tom Fuller

Re: K2 Assembly problems/Info 080 Message

Don Wilhelm-4
Tom,

RF Board U1 should not get hot.  Make sure it is oriented correctly.
The notch goes toward the left side panel.
If you plugged it in backwards, cross your fingers that it is still OK.

Error 080 is an indication that the main microprocessor cannot
communicate with other microprocessors in the system over the single
line AUXBUS signal.  In the bare K2 there are 2 microprocessors -
Control Board U6 is the main one and RF board U1 is the other.

For the LO BATT message, make certain you have the jumper on the 3 pin
header at the top of the Control Board plugged for INT (to the left as
you look down on it).

As for the garbled display, first get rid of the INFO 080 messages, and
then tackle that one.  Peer under the LCD display to see if pin 1 of
Front Panel U1 was soldered.  If it was not, cut away a bit of the lower
part on socket corner to expose the pin and solder it from the top.

With all those problems, I am wondering about the quality of your
soldering.  Compare your solder connections with the diagrams in the
soldering tutorial that you can download from the Elecraft website. You
need enough heat on both the component leads and the solder pads to make
the solder flow out to an almost invisible edge.  Any solder fillet
should be concave.  If it is convex, either too much solder was applied
or the solder did not flow adequately into the thru-plated hole.

On 3/2/2013 1:15 AM, Tom Fuller wrote:

> Hello, I am assembling my Elecraft K2 Radio (serial # 7421) , I made it up to
> page 43 of the manual, earlier today I was able to get the info 201 to show
> on display as on page 43 and frequencies showed ok/bands changed on display
> ok also but with info 080 message shown , the tuning dial did not seem to be
> working too well...In order to troubleshoot it, I began to re-solder all the
> connections but now the frequencies don't display anymore-just some garbled
> numbers show and also I am still getting an error 080 message/low battery
> message  and I noticed the part U1 on the RF board is hot to touch. I have
> gone thru the troubleshooting steps but don't want to go past page 44 steps
> because I want to get the frequency display to work again and removed the
> info 080 message before I move on... does anyone have any additional
> troubleshooting steps?
>
> thanks and 73,
>
> KE4QCM
> Tom Fuller

Re: K2 Assembly problems/Info 080 Message

Tom Fuller
Hello Don, on power up I am still getting Info 080 message and garbled frequency display (and no relays are clicking), alot of the menu functions show up correctly though, I checked the following as you indicated: RF Board U1 is oriented correctly and no pins are bent, jumper is set for INT on P7,pin 1 is soldered correctly on Front Panel U1, and my soldering is done correctly so far everywhere after re-checking all of it, I did some resistance checks on the control board, could not get a reading on the following: p2 pin 1, u3 pins: 8,13,14, u8 pins: 2,15,16 (got readings on the rest of the control panel test point checks)...for resistance checks on the front panel board I could not get a reading on the following: u1 pins 4, 13-40, j1 pins: 1-7, 9-11, 13-14 (got readings on the rest of front panel test points); for RF board resistance checks I could not get readings on the following: u1 pins: 4,9,10,28, R1 and R2, (got readings from rest of rf board test points)

thanks for your suggestions, anything else I should try at this time?

thanks and 73,

KE4QCM
Tom Fuller

Re: K2 Assembly problems/Info 080 Message

Don Wilhelm-4
Tom,

Did you remove the Front Panel board and the Control Board before making
those resistance measurements.  Those resistances are for the board
alone after its assembly.  When plugged into the RF board, the
measurements can be different.

Does U1 still get hot?

On 3/3/2013 7:32 PM, Tom Fuller wrote:

> Hello Don, on power up I am still getting Info 080 message and garbled
> frequency display (and no relays are clicking), alot of the menu functions
> show up correctly though, I checked the following as you indicated: RF Board
> U1 is oriented correctly and no pins are bent, jumper is set for INT on
> P7,pin 1 is soldered correctly on Front Panel U1, and my soldering is done
> correctly so far everywhere after re-checking all of it, I did some
> resistance checks on the control board, could not get a reading on the
> following: p2 pin 1, u3 pins: 8,13,14, u8 pins: 2,15,16 (got readings on the
> rest of the control panel test point checks)...for resistance checks on the
> front panel board I could not get a reading on the following: u1 pins 4,
> 13-40, j1 pins: 1-7, 9-11, 13-14 (got readings on the rest of front panel
> test points); for RF board resistance checks I could not get readings on the
> following: u1 pins: 4,9,10,28, R1 and R2, (got readings from rest of rf
> board test points)
>
> thanks for your suggestions, anything else I should try at this time?
>
> thanks and 73,
>
> KE4QCM
> Tom Fuller

Re: K2 Assembly problems/Info 080 Message

Tom,

Please explain the "could not get a reading" - does that mean your DMM
reads zero ohms or infinity?  Infinity is the same as you see when the
probes are connected to nothing.

On 3/3/2013 7:32 PM, Tom Fuller wrote:

> Hello Don, on power up I am still getting Info 080 message and garbled
> frequency display (and no relays are clicking), alot of the menu functions
> show up correctly though, I checked the following as you indicated: RF Board
> U1 is oriented correctly and no pins are bent, jumper is set for INT on
> P7,pin 1 is soldered correctly on Front Panel U1, and my soldering is done
> correctly so far everywhere after re-checking all of it, I did some
> resistance checks on the control board, could not get a reading on the
> following: p2 pin 1, u3 pins: 8,13,14, u8 pins: 2,15,16 (got readings on the
> rest of the control panel test point checks)...for resistance checks on the
> front panel board I could not get a reading on the following: u1 pins 4,
> 13-40, j1 pins: 1-7, 9-11, 13-14 (got readings on the rest of front panel
> test points); for RF board resistance checks I could not get readings on the
> following: u1 pins: 4,9,10,28, R1 and R2, (got readings from rest of rf
> board test points)
>
> thanks for your suggestions, anything else I should try at this time?
>
> thanks and 73,
>
> KE4QCM
> Tom Fuller

Re: K2 Assembly problems/Info 080 Message

Tom Fuller
Hello Don, yes I figured I had to have the boards separated so I did that with the power off, yes U1 is still getting hot, I looked over the solder connections and all appear to be good, a few days back I did get a scroll though of all the bands with relays clicking with band switch buttons working ok but the info 080 message has been there all the time. Now all I get is no relay clicking, info 080 message all the time and no band switching and frequency display continues to be garbled....I saw you and others had a lengthy discussion of info 080 problem at this url:

http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/Info-080-message-started-with-RF-Alignment-and-Test-Part-II-td7564545.html#none

don't know if Marcus (AC8HU) finally got it resolved (no notes on this email list if he got it resolved?

Also, Bob , N1QQP, also had the same problem with info 080 msg. and I didn't see anything in this email list indicating he got it resolved either?
see url:    http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/K2-Assembly-problem-td463441.html

73,

KE4QCM
Tom Fuller

Re: K2 Assembly problems/Info 080 Message

Don Wilhelm-4
Tom,

In those instances, the details of the debugging were likely taken
off-list.  I cannot recall those exactly, but I believe they were resolved.

When doing off-list debugging, I leave it up to the indivudual to report
back to the list with the resolution.  Some do and some do not.  If
reported to the list, it was likely in a new thread.

I am concerned about the heating of U1, and that is what you should
tackle first.  Check the voltage at U1 pins 1 and 20.  They should be
close to 6 volts.  Also check the soldering at the U1 socket to be
certain you do not have a solder bridge.

On 3/3/2013 9:31 PM, Tom Fuller wrote:

> Hello Don, yes I figured I had to have the boards separated so I did that
> with the power off, yes U1 is still getting hot, I looked over the solder
> connections and all appear to be good, a few days back I did get a scroll
> though of all the bands with relays clicking with band switch buttons
> working ok but the info 080 message has been there all the time. Now all I
> get is no relay clicking, info 080 message all the time and no band
> switching and frequency display continues to be garbled....I saw you and
> others had a lengthy discussion of info 080 problem at this url:
>
> http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/Info-080-message-started-with-RF-Alignment-and-Test-Part-II-td7564545.html#none
>
> don't know if Marcus (AC8HU) finally got it resolved (no notes on this email
> list if he got it resolved?
>
> Also, Bob , N1QQP, also had the same problem with info 080 msg. and I didn't
> see anything in this email list indicating he got it resolved either?
> see url:
> http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/K2-Assembly-problem-td463441.html

Re: K2 Assembly problems/Info 080 Message

Tom Fuller
Don, 'could not get a reading' means my multimeter showed 0.L (or infinity), I switched to a large 13.8 volt power supply-now screen reads 13.5v .04 amps...I did some re-soldering again today and now most of the digits on the display light up completely except for the digit above the XIT on plastic display , now my u1 on rf board is not heating up anymore, but there is no 6 volts on it, but the solder connections are good, here are the readings you asked for,

page 22 resistance checks:
test point/should read/I  read on multimeter (0.L=infinity)
p2,pin1,  > 10k,   0.L
u5 out (5v pin), >2k, 13.89
u4 out (8v pin), 3-7k, 4.40
q1 collector, >1m, 4.39
q2 collector, >1m, 4.39
u3, pin 8, >10k, 1.000
u6, pin 13, >100k, 0.L
u6, pin 14,>100k, 0.L
u6, pin 29, 70-90k, 95.8
u6, pin 30, 70-90k, 95.8
u8, pin 2, >100k, 0.L
u8, pin 15, >100k, 0.L
u8, pin 16, >100k, 0.L

page 29 resistance checks:
test point/should read/I  read on multimeter (0.L=infinity)
u1, pin 1, 25-35k, 29.2
u1, pin 2, 25-35k, 29.2
u1, pin 3, 40-60k, 47.8
u1, pin 4, >50k, 0>L
u1, pin 5, 15-40k, 24.6
u1, pins 6-11, 0, all read 0
u1, pin 12, 9-11k, 9.9
u1, pin 13-40, >50k, all read 0.L
j1, pin 1, >1M, 0.L
j1, pin 2, > 1M, 0.L
j1, pin 3, > 1M, 0.L
j1, pin 4, >1M, 0.L
j1, pin 5, >1M, 0.L
j1, pin 6, >50k, 0.L
j1, pin 7, > 1M, 0.L
j1, pin 8, 0, 0
j1, pin 9, >50k, 0.L
j1, pin 10, >50k 1.009
j1, pin 11, >50k, 0.L
j1, pin 12,>50k, .000
j1, pin 13, >50k, 0.L
j1, pin 14, >50k, 0.L
j1, pin 15, 10-60k, .033
j1, pin 16, 25-35k, .029
j1, pin 17, 25-35k, .029
j1, pin 18, 15-40k, .025
j1, pin 19, 1.5-3.5k, .005
j1, pin 20, 0, 0

page 38 resistance checks:
test point/should read/I  read on multimeter (0.L=infinity)
r115, right end, >500ohms, 4.41
u1, pin 1, >500 ohms, 4.41
u1, pin 4, >20k, 0.L
u1, pin 9, >20k, 0.L
u1, pin 10, >20k, 0.L
u1, pin 28, >20k, 0.L
r1 (end near r2), > 1M, 0.L
r2 (end near r1), >1M, 0.L

 73,
KE4QCM
Tom Fuller

Re: K2 Assembly problems/Info 080 Message

Don Wilhelm-4
Tom,

I suggest we get the resistance readings straight before applying power.

Were the resistance readings made with the boards separated? They should
have been.

First check Control Board U3 pin 8 (with the board removed). Is 1.009
mean 1.009k or 1.009M?  If your DMM is autoranging, you will have to
look at the range that was selected to tell the difference. 1k is not
good, but 1M is just fine.
The ">" symbol means "greater than" and any reading above the listed
value is just fine.
If the resistance there is 1k, then look carefully for solder bridges.
You may have to wick away any excess solder.
Solder just sufficient to fill the thru-plated holes is enough.  If your
solder connections have a convex appearance, that can hide a poorly
soldered joint.  A small concave solder fillet is OK.

All the resistances on the RF board appear to be OK *if* the range for
those readings is kohms.

On the front panel, J1 pins 10, 12, 15, 16, 17, 18, and 19 should be
resolved before proceeding with anything else.
Did you have the control pots all set to mid-range before taking the
readings.  If the RF gain is not set to mid-range, that can explain the
low resistance reading, otherwise, begin looking for solder bridges.
I am suspicious of the resistance readings on pins 10, 12, 16, and17.
Those are digital signals and you would have no display at all if pin 12
is really grounded.
Front panel J1 pin 18 is the 5 volt supply to the front panel board -
again, if that resistance is really 25 ohms, you would be drawing a lot
of current on the front panel and nothing is likely to work.
Please recheck those resistances and please specify the units - ohms,
kohms or Mohms.

We can get to the U1 (and Info 080) problem and the last character of
the display after the resistances have been resolved.
With that many erroneous resistance readings. either there is a problem
with your DMM or you have many solder bridges to resolve.

I suggest we take this troubleshooting off reflector.  It is getting too
long and most builders will not be interested in the specifics of th
troubleshooting steps.