K2 - Audio Compressor with slight splatter, any mods

K2 - Audio Compressor with slight splatter, any mods

Ken G3WCS
Firstly, let me say that this is a very minor point and only shows
itself when using the K2 with the XV144 with *very* local stations. I
don't think anyone on HF would notice it unless they lived next door!

I know that no audio compressor or clipper can ever be as good as a true
RF Speech Processor and for 99% of my operation the audio speech
compressor in the K2 is fine. When operating with the XV144 and
monitoring in a local receiver, I can detect some splatter either side
of my SSB signal. The receiver is not being overloaded as I can repeat
the test with another two meter system and the splatter is non existent.

If I run the K2 with the XV144 and disable the inbuilt compressor, even
shouting into the mic with the mic gain advanced to 2, there is no
splatter, even though I am shouting the output up just as much.

Ultimately the problem will go away as I will be using a Datong external
RF speech processor. I was wondering if anyone had seen or evaluated any
changes to the compressor (filter?) circuit in an attempt to remove any
of the little whiskers.

Once again, I stress that this is very minor and can only be detected by
line of sight stations.

Thanks,

Ken.

--