K2 Audio Thumping & Shutdown Noise

K4GDR
I have two audio issues with the K2 that I would appreciate help with:

1. During CW keying I hear a "thumping" sound in the sidetone.  Per suggestion from Elecraft Support, I grounded the microphone jack to the Front Panel Board but it did not help.  I tested into a 50 ohm dummy load to be sure "thumping" was not due to mismatched antenna.  This also did not change the "thumping" sound.

2. The other audio issue is a loud "crashing" sound in the speaker when I shut the rig off.  It sounds like a loose speaker connection -- a very loud, scratchy noise as the radio shuts down.

I noticed these issues prior to installation of any options.  I have since added the 160, 60 meter, ATU, KIO2 options; noises unchanged after installation.

Other than these two issues, the K2 works great.  Suggestions welcome!

Regards,
Bill K4GDR

Re: K2 Audio Thumping & Shutdown Noise

Don Wilhelm-4
Bill,

For issue 1, check the 8R setting in the menu - it is under the T-R menu
parameter (see the K2 manual page 89 left column) - a HOLD of the
DISPLAY button will toggle the setting.  It should normally be set to
HOLD.  If you have it set to 'nor', the receiver will unmute without
delay and you will have thumps at the end of each character.  You should
also check the setting of the T-R delay setting, if set to zero, that
may be causing your problem - a setting in the 02 to 06 range is normal.

On issue 2, that is the sound of the large capacitor in the audio output
dumping its charge when power is turned off.  It happens on all K2s and
I do not know of any way to prevent that.