K2 - Audio out to Microphone jack for digital modes.

K2 - Audio out to Microphone jack for digital modes.

Chris Kimball

In the transition to digital modes, an audio output to the K2 microphone jack would save interconnects.

The microphone jack resides on the Front Panel board and the audio output is available on the RF Board, just one connection away.  The AUXBUS is apparently unused (NC) on the Front Panel board and I've considered cutting the foil on the RF board for AUXBUS, then taking the available RF board pin to audio out.  On the front panel, I'd then connect AUXBUS to the microphone jack.  Trouble is, my eyes get all steamed up with the idea of cutting foil.

Does anyone know of a neat way to sneak the audio out from the RF board to the Front Panel board?  I never will use the microphone up/down frequency capability.

I've thought about simply connecting the RF board's audio out to a wire with a single, slip-on connector to go over the pin on the microphone wiring jack.  Seems easy, but where would I get a slip-on pin?

Thanks,

Chris
NQ8Z

Re: K2 - Audio out to Microphone jack for digital modes.

Don Wilhelm-4
Chris,

I don't believe you should make any cuts to the AUXBUS signal line.

I suggest you look at my website (www.w3fpr.com) article for the W3FPR
K2 Fixed Audio Output.
Then take a look at www.n0ss.net to find the layout for the updated
board - the circuit is the same (except there is no pot on the output),
but the later implementation has all the parts laid down close to the
board, and you can mount it between the front panel and the Control
Board - fasten it to the Control board.  All the necessary signals and
power connections are on the control board - except for the actual audio
output.

There are no boards available, but the circuit is simple to duplicate on
perfboard.  Follow the layout on Tom Hammond's (SK) website.

As for how to connect to a microphone pin, connect to the jack side of
the microphone configuration header for pin 5 (assuming you have it
wired for the Elecraft configuration).  The FUNC signal is unused, but
you cannot connect to that signal line without 'strange happenings'.
Take one of the little 'computer jumpers' and solder a wire in one side
of it - the other side plugs onto the mic configuration header.  Some of
the jumpers are configured so you can solder a wire to the top.

I hope that helps.  That is the setup I currently have in my K2.