K2 CAL_FIL and the BFO

NU7B
I'm new to the list, with a couple of questions on the K2. My s/n 6770
has been running for about a week: this weekend put in the KSSB2,
KDSP2 and KNB2. When I select from the four CW xtal filter bandwidths,
I get a slightly different pitch on the received CW station.

Qusetion 1: Is that pitch change directly due to the offset I have
dialed in during the filter calibration?

The circuit changes the bandwidth of the Cohn crystal filter and, at
the same time, I dial in an offset to center that new passband to my
desired pitch. So, I'm confused why the pitch changes - maybe it's
just calibration error because the tuning step is coarser than my ear.

Question 2 is an observation: CW mode is LSB all the way to 17 meters,
then USB from 15M up. This is normal, right? On previous
(upconverting) radios it's always been USB from 20M up, so this
surprised me.

Thanks for any help with these...

73,

Steve NU7B

Re: K2 CAL_FIL and the BFO

Don Wilhelm-4
Steve,

There may be a slight change in the pitch of the received signal when
changing filters, but it should be limited to 20 Hz or less.  If it is
more than that, you will have to do a good filter alignment.  I
recommemd using Spectrogram and a noise generator so you can see what
you are doing, but lacking the wideband noise generator, the same thing
can be accomplished with band noise.  See my website www.w3fpr.com
article on K2 Dial Calibration for more information.  Part 3 of that
article deals with aligning the filters (adjust the BFO frequency to
shift the passband), and has links to help setting up and using
Spectrogram.  Even though the latest version of Spectrogram is now
freeware, I recommend you use version 5.17 (download from Tom Hammond's
website www.n0ss.net) because the 'how-to' information is written for
that version - the screenshots may differ for other versions (but are
similar).

Yes, the K2 places the VCO on the high frequency side of the signal
frequency for bands up through 17 meters, but at 15 meters and above,
the VFO is on the low side - that is what causes the sideband
inversion.  If you prefer to listen to CW in LSB for all the bands, then
switch to CW reverse for 15, 12 and 10 meters.

Stephen Rector wrote:

> I'm new to the list, with a couple of questions on the K2. My s/n 6770
> has been running for about a week: this weekend put in the KSSB2,
> KDSP2 and KNB2. When I select from the four CW xtal filter bandwidths,
> I get a slightly different pitch on the received CW station.
>
> Qusetion 1: Is that pitch change directly due to the offset I have
> dialed in during the filter calibration?
>
> The circuit changes the bandwidth of the Cohn crystal filter and, at
> the same time, I dial in an offset to center that new passband to my
> desired pitch. So, I'm confused why the pitch changes - maybe it's
> just calibration error because the tuning step is coarser than my ear.
>
> Question 2 is an observation: CW mode is LSB all the way to 17 meters,
> then USB from 15M up. This is normal, right? On previous
> (upconverting) radios it's always been USB from 20M up, so this
> surprised me.
>
> Thanks for any help with these...
>
> 73,
>
> Steve NU7B

Re: K2 CAL_FIL and the BFO

NU7B
Hi Don:

I will check your article out, and thanks again. Last I checked today,
the pitch change was slight, so I'll keep an ear on it. And I'll try
Spectrogram at some point, after the construction is done. Still have
the PA and KAT-100 to go.... It's nice to have the knowledge base that
you and others are willing to share.

Cheers,

Steve

On Jul 26, 2009, at 5:16 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:

> Steve,
>
> There may be a slight change in the pitch of the received signal
> when changing filters, but it should be limited to 20 Hz or less.
> If it is more than that, you will have to do a good filter
> alignment.  I recommemd using Spectrogram and a noise generator so
> you can see what you are doing, but lacking the wideband noise
> generator, the same thing can be accomplished with band noise.  See
> my website www.w3fpr.com article on K2 Dial Calibration for more
> information.  Part 3 of that article deals with aligning the filters
> (adjust the BFO frequency to shift the passband), and has links to
> help setting up and using Spectrogram.  Even though the latest
> version of Spectrogram is now freeware, I recommend you use version
> 5.17 (download from Tom Hammond's website www.n0ss.net) because the
> 'how-to' information is written for that version - the screenshots
> may differ for other versions (but are similar).
>
> Yes, the K2 places the VCO on the high frequency side of the signal
> frequency for bands up through 17 meters, but at 15 meters and
> above, the VFO is on the low side - that is what causes the sideband
> inversion.  If you prefer to listen to CW in LSB for all the bands,
> then switch to CW reverse for 15, 12 and 10 meters.
>
> Stephen Rector wrote:
>> I'm new to the list, with a couple of questions on the K2. My s/n
>> 6770  has been running for about a week: this weekend put in the
>> KSSB2,  KDSP2 and KNB2. When I select from the four CW xtal filter
>> bandwidths,  I get a slightly different pitch on the received CW
>> station.
>>
>> Qusetion 1: Is that pitch change directly due to the offset I have
>> dialed in during the filter calibration?
>>
>> The circuit changes the bandwidth of the Cohn crystal filter and,
>> at  the same time, I dial in an offset to center that new passband
>> to my  desired pitch. So, I'm confused why the pitch changes -
>> maybe it's  just calibration error because the tuning step is
>> coarser than my ear.
>>
>> Question 2 is an observation: CW mode is LSB all the way to 17
>> meters,  then USB from 15M up. This is normal, right? On previous
>> (upconverting) radios it's always been USB from 20M up, so this
>> surprised me.
>>
>> Thanks for any help with these...
>>
>> 73,
>>
>> Steve NU7B

Re: K2 CAL_FIL and the BFO

Bill Coleman-2

On Jul 26, 2009, at 7:37 PM, Stephen Rector wrote:

> Qusetion 1: Is that pitch change directly due to the offset I have
> dialed in during the filter calibration?

Mostly. If you pick the right offset, you can get it real close. One
tip is to try calibrating one count in either direction to see if it
is any better.

The BFO DAC does have a minimum resolution -- but you should be able
to get the filters to all be within 20 Hz or so of each other.

> The circuit changes the bandwidth of the Cohn crystal filter and, at
> the same time, I dial in an offset to center that new passband to my
> desired pitch. So, I'm confused why the pitch changes - maybe it's
> just calibration error because the tuning step is coarser than my ear.

Could be, do the best you can.

> Question 2 is an observation: CW mode is LSB all the way to 17 meters,
> then USB from 15M up. This is normal, right? On previous
> (upconverting) radios it's always been USB from 20M up, so this
> surprised me.

The K2 synthesizer inverts the sidebands above 20 MHz, so the sideband
is inverted as well. You're still listening to LSB on CW, but it is
using the USB filter settings because of the inversion. The signals
also tune backwards from the lower bands. If it bothers you, you can
switch to CW reverse, which is USB but tunes like LSB on the lower
bands because of the inversion.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: [hidden email]
Web: http://boringhamradiopart.blogspot.com
             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901