K2 Carrying Handle/Strap???

Fred Bennett  N9TA-2
   Hi Gang

I completed the build of  #6705 last night with the installation of the
SSB option.
I built this K2 (my third) with the thought of portable operations. The
options I
included are K160RX, KSB2, KAT2, KBT2, and KIO2.

It's been years since my last K2 but I remember discussions on this
email reflector
about a carrying strap. With the inclusion of the KBT2 (battery) option
the K2 is
a heavy little bugger....and I can see how a carrying strap would be
nice to insure
that no drops happen while moving the rig about. Has anyone here
installed a carrying
strap and is there anything to be concerned about?? I'm sure I can find
a carrying
strap to affix to the side of the K2....the question being...is there a
structural strength
issue to be concerned about since the side panel is attached to the PC
board??

                         73...de...Fred  N9TA

Re: K2 Carrying Handle/Strap???

Phillip Buckholdt-2
Fred

     I have built 3 K-2's and have used the carry handlle for the IC-706 on
them. It involves drilling and tapping holes for 2  2mm screws and 4 4/40
holes for the feet if used.  The number forthe handle kit is something like
MB-106.

     73 Phil K8MBY

> I completed the build of  #6705 last night with the installation of the
> SSB option.
> I built this K2 (my third) with the thought of portable operations. The
> options I
> included are K160RX, KSB2, KAT2, KBT2, and KIO2.
>
> It's been years since my last K2 but I remember discussions on this
> email reflector
> about a carrying strap. With the inclusion of the KBT2 (battery) option
> the K2 is
> a heavy little bugger....and I can see how a carrying strap would be
> nice to insure
> that no drops happen while moving the rig about. Has anyone here
> installed a carrying
> strap and is there anything to be concerned about?? I'm sure I can find
> a carrying
> strap to affix to the side of the K2....the question being...is there a
> structural strength
> issue to be concerned about since the side panel is attached to the PC
> board??
>
>                         73...de...Fred  N9TA

Re: K2 Carrying Handle/Strap???

Fred Bennett  N9TA-2
   I see an "MB72" listed for the Icom 706 as a carrying
strap....gigaparts lists for $15.

Phil, I was wondering if you used the batt option which adds a bunch of
weight to the K2.
My concern is for stress fractures where the side panel connects to the
RF PC board.

                 Fred