[K2] EEPROM Problem?

Joseph Baxley
Hey!

I have an Elecraft K2, serial number 7535, with the following options installed: KSB2, KNB2, KIO2, KAT2, KBT2, and K160RX.  I just installed the K160RX board tonight after sitting on the kit for about a year and finally set out to build it today.  Once I installed it I did the basic checks and it is receiving on 160m and the board appears to work just fine.  The problem is that I noticed that the rig now doesn't always remember it's prior state if I power cycle it.  Previously, if I turned my K2 on, changed frequency with the VFO knob, turned it off and turned it back on, it would remember the frequency I had set it to.  Now it reverts to the frequency it held when I last turned it on unless I do something like change the operating mode at the new frequency.  In that case, it remembers the frequency where I changed modes when I power-cycle the rig.  I do not remember this behavior prior to installing the K160RX.

Everything else about the rig seems to be working fine and the 160m board seems to be working well.  I can receive, transmit, and use the receive antenna.

My question is: Is this an EEPROM problem, and if so, what is a likely cause and how do I address it?

Sincerely,

Joseph, KI4ITG

Re: [K2] EEPROM Problem?

vk2rq
Maybe you are a bit hasty with the power switch?

When the move the VFO knob, the new frequency isn't written into the
EEPROM straight away, it will only be written if the knob stays still
for a certain period, or if you change another setting like operating
mode. This is to keep the number of writes to the EEPROM at a minimum.
I forget what the timeout is, maybe 10-12sec, but if you wait a bit
before turning the K2 off, it will hopefully retain your QRG.

73, Matt VK2RQ

On Wed, Jun 3, 2015 at 1:58 PM, Joseph Baxley via Elecraft
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey!
>
> I have an Elecraft K2, serial number 7535, with the following options
> installed: KSB2, KNB2, KIO2, KAT2, KBT2, and K160RX.  I just installed the
> K160RX board tonight after sitting on the kit for about a year and finally
> set out to build it today.  Once I installed it I did the basic checks and
> it is receiving on 160m and the board appears to work just fine.  The
> problem is that I noticed that the rig now doesn't always remember it's
> prior state if I power cycle it.  Previously, if I turned my K2 on, changed
> frequency with the VFO knob, turned it off and turned it back on, it would
> remember the frequency I had set it to.  Now it reverts to the frequency it
> held when I last turned it on unless I do something like change the
> operating mode at the new frequency.  In that case, it remembers the
> frequency where I changed modes when I power-cycle the rig.  I do not
> remember this behavior prior to installing the K160RX.
>
> Everything else about the rig seems to be working fine and the 160m board
> seems to be working well.  I can receive, transmit, and use the receive
> antenna.
>
> My question is: Is this an EEPROM problem, and if so, what is a likely cause
> and how do I address it?
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Joseph, KI4ITG

> Message delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: [K2] EEPROM Problem?

Joseph Baxley
Matt,

I believe what you said is correct.  I was borrowing space in an electronics lab tonight and was working quickly during the final install because others were needing the space.  I have since tried waiting (it took me about a minute on frequency) and it is writing to EEPROM correctly.  I had never noticed this behavior before and was deeply puzzled.  Thank you for the answer.

Regards,

Joseph, KI4ITG

Re: [K2] EEPROM Problem?

Don Wilhelm-4
Joseph,

If you want to store the current frequency without waiting, do a band
change and then change back - the K2 will write the frequency to EEPROM
on the band change.