K2 Encoder wiring

Phil-120
After a long delay (who says that retirement gives you the time to do
all those things you want to do!) I have started to build K2 #4019.
I'm at the point where I am about to wire the encoder to the front panel
PCB.  The manual talks about wrapping 4 wires around encoder lead-outs
and there had been some (much) earlier posts about this - I tried
something else.

I have some old PCs in the garage - I salvaged some of the cables
between the computer front panel and motherboard including a 4 pin
flying socket which fits the encoder perfectly.  All I had to do was cut
the lead to length, solder to the front panel PCB and I have a neat
connector to the encoder.  This will allow removal of the front panel
without removal of the large tuning knob and encoder first.

Phil G8JQH

Re: K2 Encoder wiring

Leigh L. Klotz Jr WA5ZNU
Administrator
Phil,
I noticed in the instructions it has you cut 3mm off of the encoder
pins.  Is there a clearance issue I need to watch out for if I use a
connector on the encoder?  Do you happen to have a photo?

73,
Leigh.
On Tue, 2004-09-07 at 01:16, Phil wrote:

> After a long delay (who says that retirement gives you the time to do
> all those things you want to do!) I have started to build K2 #4019.
> I'm at the point where I am about to wire the encoder to the front panel
> PCB.  The manual talks about wrapping 4 wires around encoder lead-outs
> and there had been some (much) earlier posts about this - I tried
> something else.
>
> I have some old PCs in the garage - I salvaged some of the cables
> between the computer front panel and motherboard including a 4 pin
> flying socket which fits the encoder perfectly.  All I had to do was cut
> the lead to length, solder to the front panel PCB and I have a neat
> connector to the encoder.  This will allow removal of the front panel
> without removal of the large tuning knob and encoder first.
>
> Phil G8JQH

RE: K2 Encoder wiring

Phil-120
Leigh,

Yes, this is the biggest problem - in fact as I continued to build the
K" I came to the conclusion that my enthusiasm for the neatness of a
connector would be overtaken by practical issues.  I used a shallow
connector but even so when inserted onto the encoder pins it fouls the
socket for J7.

I next considered bending the encoder leads at 90 degrees to reduce the
depth but even that does not work. The encoder pins need to be cut as
described in the manual - to the same height as the top of the encoder
casing.

Eventually I had to revert to the method described in the manual.  I did
cut about 3mm from the 4 encoder pins and soldered wire directly to
them.  I have to say that this method does not look particularly pretty
(and I consider myself a good exponent of the art of soldering - all
those years spent modifying ICL mainframes in the 1970's is great
training) but it is effective.

I guess this is a lesson for me in that if there was a better technique
for building a K2 it would already have been written up on the
reflector!  I'm sorry if my posting gave a false hope - I now know it is
a non-starter.

Best wishes

Phil G8JQH

SV: K2 Encoder wiring

rolf heidenborg-2
Hi,
I wirewrap these wires and find it good and easy .
73
Rolf SM0CLS

Re: SV: K2 Encoder wiring

Leigh L. Klotz Jr WA5ZNU
Administrator
Thanks to both of you and glad to get the record straight!
On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 2:40am, rolf heidenborg wrote:

> Hi,
> I wirewrap these wires and find it good and easy .
> 73
> Rolf SM0CLS

WA5ZNU Leigh

Re: K2 Encoder wiring

Leigh L. Klotz Jr WA5ZNU
Administrator
I have just discovered that it is possible to remove the entire pin from
Z1 when attempting to remove a wire soldered to it, as Z1's pins are
themselves soldered into a small PC board.  It goes back in, but it's
not fun to fix.