K2: Extending AUX cable length

Tom KG3V
Has anyone tried REALLY extending the cable between the K2 and the KAT-2? I
would like to separate mine by 20 or 30 feet. What I want to do is get the
KAT-2 and all the antenna conectors off of my oprating table, and close to
the exit point of the shack.

I have heard the main concerns are noise (pickup and radiation) and timing.
It would seem that using optical converters and optical cable might take
care of both.

Any thoughts??

73,

Tom, KG3V

Re: K2: Extending AUX cable length

Don Wilhelm-4
Tom,

Pulse shaping as well as 'turnaround time' on the AUXBUS signal is
important.  Extra cable length adds to the capacitance and will round
over the shape of the data pulses.
Your proposed solution for using optical converters and cable may be a
potential solution, but as far as I know has not been tested.

You are certainly welcome to try it, and if you do, I would encourage
you to share your results.  I would be particularly interested in any
data you could find on data distortion and delay times through such a
system.

[hidden email] wrote:

> Has anyone tried REALLY extending the cable between the K2 and the KAT-2? I
> would like to separate mine by 20 or 30 feet. What I want to do is get the
> KAT-2 and all the antenna conectors off of my oprating table, and close to
> the exit point of the shack.
>
> I have heard the main concerns are noise (pickup and radiation) and timing.
> It would seem that using optical converters and optical cable might take
> care of both.
>
> Any thoughts??
>
> 73,
>
> Tom, KG3V

Re: K2: Extending AUX cable length

Tom KG3V
Thanks Don

I guess this might have seemed like a good April fools joke, but actually,
they do this with many other wire type interfaces. This includes Ethernet
and RS-232. So if the drivers are fiber are affordable, I think it could be
done.

If anyone has any data of the required rise times or prop delays between
the devices, plese let me know. I may try something along this line.

Tom, KG3V