K2 Extension Speaker

Jim Brown-10
Several months ago, I bought a small extension loudspeaker at a
hamfest to use with my radios. I liked it so much that I bought a half
dozen more. It's a little black rectangular box 3"W  x 2 1/2" H x 2
1/8" D, and has a nice mounting bracket. It weighs about 8.5 oz.

The DC resistance of the voice coil is about 4.5 ohms, so it is
probably an 8 ohm loudspeaker.  When I plug it into the Ext Speaker
jack of my K2, the resulting sound level is about the same as with the
built-in speaker, and the sound quality is OK. The box comes apart
neatly with four screws, and it's a nice looking little 2" diameter cone
with a dome tweeter.  The loudspeaker has a permanently attached
10 ft cable that terminates in an 1/8" plug.

The loudspeaker has a part number SH2P4 printed on it in large
letters. I paid $5 at two different hamfests, and nearly twice that for
those I found online.

This makes a nice, low profile, extension loudspeaker for any ham
rig, and it's plenty good enough for use with a K2 if the background
noise level is not extraordinarily high. It would make a nice extension
speaker to sit on the dash of a car, for example, where the K2 was
at a greater distance.

Jim Brown  K9YC

You must subscribe to post.
Subscriber Info (Addr. Change, Unsub etc): http://mailman.qth.net/subscribers.htm