K2 Internal Autotuner. - longwire

Don Baucom
I was using my K1 (20/40)on the back deck  with a logwire thrown in the trees about 45ft long. The counterpoise was about 4 feet. The K1 had no trouble tunning it on 14.030. I switched to the K2 10 W internal tuner  and it did not like it. The best I could get would be about 2.95/1 on 14.030.

Could there be a problem with my K2 , or are the tuners just different and maybe I need a longer ant.

I just assumed if the K1 could, the K2 would have no problem?

note: both radios had no problem tuning the antenna on 7.025.

Thanks
K4YND

Re: K2 Internal Autotuner. - longwire

Jim Brown-10
On 4/29/2013 9:34 AM, Don Baucom wrote:
> Could there be a problem with my K2 , or are the tuners just different and
> maybe I need a longer ant.

4 ft is a miserably short counterpoise for 20 and 40M -- a good rule of
thumb is a quarter wavelength, which is 17 ft on 20M and 33 ft on 40M.

73, Jim K9YC

Re: K2 Internal Autotuner. - longwire

Jim Wiley
Don -

Rather more likely that you need a longer counterpoise wire.  The
antenna length seems fine.  Try a 25' to 35' counterpoise and see if
that fixes the problem.  Note that the counterpoise does not need to be
run all in the same direction - bends are acceptable.

- Jm, KL7CC