[K2] KAF2 displays strange numbers

Brian - N5BCN
Hi All,

I have a KAF2 installed and it seems to work fine, with time and date set to UTC.

Every now and then, when I press DISPLAY to show the time, the KAF2 will briefly show a set of numbers unrelated to the current date and time.  These "strange" numbers will disappear and then the proper time or date is displayed.  This only happens occasionally.

For example, tonight I pressed DISPLAY, and the KAF2 briefly showed "03.19.00" then showed the proper UTC time which was 04.47.19.  The date was also correct (9-6-12).

I don't see any mention of this in the KAF2 manual (such as showing a version number or something).

My only guess is that every now and then the KAF2 is showing a previous time and needs a second or two to update to the current time.

Can anyone shed light on this little mystery?

Thx and 73
N5BCN, Brian

Re: [K2] KAF2 displays strange numbers

Millerhill
Maybe this will help from the manual...

Day/Night Selection: If you're operating outdoors, use the menu
to select L C D DA Y , which turns off the LCD backlight and puts
the bargraph into high-brightness mode. Indoors or at night, use
L C D NI T E , which turns the backlight on and reduces the
bargraph brightness.
Bargraph Modes: You have a choice of O F F , DO T , or BA R
for the LED bargraph. If you select DO T , just one bargraph
segment representing the current meter level will be illuminated.
If you select BA R , all LED segments to the left of the current
level will also be illuminated, resulting in a more visible display.
O F F mode turns off the bargraph completely during receive but
uses DOT mode on transmit (see Advanced Operating Features).
between frequency display mode and voltage/current display
mode. Other display modes may be available depending on
installed options.
In frequency display mode, the LCD will show the operating
frequency, mode indicator, and any annunciators that are enabled,
e.g. 2 4 9 4 5 . 0 4 c . This is the display you’ll use most often.
In voltage/current display mode, the LCD will show supply
voltage (E) in 0.1 V increments and supply current (I) in 0.02 A
increments, e.g. E 1 3 . 8 i 1 . 4 0 . Voltage/current display is useful for
monitoring battery condition and transmitter performance. It can
also be used in conjunction with a simple voltage probe to check
DC voltages inside the K2.
A two-position slide switch on the control board, S1, selects either
12 V monitoring or the voltage probe (P5). If the voltage/current
display shows 0 . 0 volts, it is likely that you have S1 in the probe
position.

Steve

On Sep 6, 2012, at 1:00 AM, Brian - N5BCN wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have a KAF2 installed and it seems to work fine, with time and date set to
> UTC.
>
> Every now and then, when I press DISPLAY to show the time, the KAF2 will
> briefly show a set of numbers unrelated to the current date and time.  These
> "strange" numbers will disappear and then the proper time or date is
> displayed.  This only happens occasionally.
>
> For example, tonight I pressed DISPLAY, and the KAF2 briefly showed
> "03.19.00" then showed the proper UTC time which was 04.47.19.  The date was
> also correct (9-6-12).
>
> I don't see any mention of this in the KAF2 manual (such as showing a
> version number or something).
>
> My only guess is that every now and then the KAF2 is showing a previous time
> and needs a second or two to update to the current time.
>
> Can anyone shed light on this little mystery?
>
> Thx and 73
> N5BCN, Brian
>

> -----
> K2 #6800 KPA100/KAT100-2, KSB2, KAT2, KIO2, K160RX, KNB2, KAF2, LP-PAN/K2 w/ Pre-amp, SignaLink USB

Steve Roberts-W1SFR
Sudbury, VT

Re: [K2] KAF2 displays strange numbers

Andrew Moore-3
Brian - I think this is normal behavior for the KAF2 (mine does the same
thing anyway) - I think it's just displaying the time that was last viewed
and takes about a second to update, as you mentioned.

I'd rather see placeholders (such as --.--.-- or 'rtc' upon entry to that
display instead of invalid data, but it never really bothered me much.
Ideally maybe hh.mm.ss but I don't think the display can show an 'm'

--Andrew, NV1B
maineware.net