K2 KAT2 P-out readings?

Joe Planisky
I recently decided to give my K2 (#3490) a tune-up.  I hadn't done any
alignment on it since I built it in June of 2003.  Realigning the
bandpass filters produced a noticeable improvement in receive
performance. I have the KAT2 antenna tuner option in it, so I re-did
the bridge null and power calibration adjustments.

However, now I notice that the power output as indicated in the
forward reading in "ATU Pout" mode is sometimes quite far off of the
power set with the POWER control.   For example:

POWER  Pout
0.1    0.1
0.2    0.5
0.3    0.8
0.5    0.5
1.0    1.9
2.0    1.9
3.0    4.0
4.0    3.4
5.0    6.6
7.0    8.6
10.0  10.7
12.0  12.2

These are all into a known good 50-ohm dummy load.  I'm particularly
concerned that requesting 0.3 W with the POWER control puts out more
power than when I request 0.5 W.  Same between 3.0 W and 4.0 W.  I
don't remember noticing this 6 years ago when I first built the rig
(and I didn't make any notes to that effect in my log), but then I
don't remember if I compared requested vs. measured power output back
then.

I've checked continuity of the control cable between the KAT2 and the
control board and all conductors are OK.  Before I dig deeper, I
wanted to ask if these reading might indicate a problem, or is this
just the nature of the beast?

Joe KB8AP

Re: K2 KAT2 P-out readings?

Don Wilhelm-4
Joe,

Are you using the TUNE button when you make those measurements, or are
you doing CW and send 3 or 4 dots to assist in leveling the power and
then measure during a key-down period.
There is a difference. The K2 must have a bit of output before the power
levels out.  With TUNE, there are no breaks to level out the power and
you get whatever came up when the button was pressed - that will be
close, but try 3 or 4 dots of keying before measuring and I believe you
will find the power much closer and less erratic.

If the power does not then follow the power requested knob, tweak the
KAT2 forward power pot a bit - that is the indication of power output
that is being fed back to the K2 microprocessor.