K2 KSB2 - SSBA BAL setting doesn't seem to work

K2 KSB2 - SSBA BAL setting doesn't seem to work

xraying
Hi All,

I've recently built KSB2 module (fw 1.08)  and encountered a problem with
aligment. Setting BAL option in SSBA menu doesn't seem to be doing anything
(it should feed ssb signal to receiver). My K2 is quite fresh - serial 76xx.

I've set up carrier balance using second transceiver. I've set up filter
using spectrogram and filter response seems to be very good (flat with no
holes compared to variable filter). I've made a QSO with Croatia using 1:1
then 1:4 compression (way better result) -  using max 15W. So the module
seems to be working fine.

Should I just ignore it or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,
Tomasz

Re: K2 KSB2 - SSBA BAL setting doesn't seem to work

Don Wilhelm-4
If you were successful in obtaining a good carrier null with a second
transceiver, then you can ignore it.

The way I adjust the SSB carrier balance is to observe the K2 RF output
with an oscilloscope connected across a dummy load.  I do not plug in a
microphone, but plug in paddles and close the DOT paddle since that is
the same as PTT.
Set the oscilloscope vertical sensitivity to show the RF envelope and
adjust for minimum deflection.
Quick and easy and will produce good results.  The second transceiver
will also produce good results, adjust for minimum signal on the S-meter.